All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about kippers
      #117902 - 11/01/04 08:30 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

Kippers and eggs and onions is one of my true comfort foods....For the eggs I use egg beters, for the onions- I dice them very small and saute in Pam- but then I started thinking about the kippers....They are high in fat- but it's mostly unsaturated- are they a trigger for anyone? I seemd to have been fine- but if it's a food to avoid I could jsut as well have lox,eggs and onions....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't even know what kippers are. sorry. -NT- new
      #117906 - 11/01/04 09:07 PM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

Re: Question about kippers new
      #117907 - 11/01/04 09:17 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Haha, are you my dad? I swear that is the only meal he can make, and whenever my mom went away for a couple days when we were little, we had Kippers and Eggs for EVERY MEAL. I do love them a LOT. To tell you the truth, though, I'm not exactly sure what a Kipper even is. I mean, I think it's actually referring to the style in which the fish is prepared, not the actual fish, but I could be wrong. Doesn't "kippered herring" sound right to you? Anyway I eat sardines all the time and I am fine, and they are also considered a fatty fish. The thing to remember with fat content is that you don't want it to make up more than 30% of your meal. So, if you are having egg whites with kippers, with bagels or english muffins or toast, then that should be enough soluable. Are you buying kippers packed in water or oil? Get them packed in water. If you can't, then rinse the oil-packed ones really well beforehand. I'd say go ahead and give it a try on a Saturday when you have nothing to do, so you can be home in case the attack strikes. Mmmm you are making me crave some Kippers and Eggs!
PS, random question but I bet you are Jewish. My dad is Jewish and claims that Kippers and Eggs are "Jew Food." I've never met a non-Jew (other than myself, raised Christian because my mom won the coin toss) who ate kippers and eggs.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#117911 - 11/01/04 10:10 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Well, over here we just call them kippers, but I think they are actually herring that have been smoked to preserve them. And they are not just for jewish people, in fact I think they are traditional in the north of England and Scotland (where herring are caught) and also as a breakfast dish for the rich, maybe still offered for breakfast in posh hotels. I read somewhere that Princess Di ate them a lot when she was pregnant ... but I have never heard of eating them with eggs and onions! Are they mixed together? How is it cooked?

Josephine

funny about that new
      #117951 - 11/02/04 06:09 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm a jew and I love lox, salmon, fish , almost any kind of smoked fish, fish carpaccio, sushi, etc... but I never was raised on kippers and I hate sardines and anchovies and stuff like that...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

"Kippers for breakfast!" new
      #117992 - 11/02/04 08:06 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I haven't heard of the eggs and onion thing either but in the Jane Austen movie Persuasion they eat kippers for breakfast with toast. Actually I hadn't known it was a Jewish thing- I thought it was an English thing.
A Norwegian/Minnesotan thing is deep fried smelt! Everyone has their little fish I guess. LOL Sorry I am no help.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#118033 - 11/02/04 09:13 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I buy the Kipper Snacks in the cans... love em.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

kippers and more kippers new
      #118241 - 11/02/04 05:38 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

This is how my grandmother (and therefore I) cook them. (Except she used whole ggs and a lot of butter).
Spray a non stick skillet with a little Pam, saute chopped onions until soft, add the drained kippers and using a spatula, break into small pieces. Beat Eggbeaters until a little fluffy and pou over the eggs. Cook until the eggs are firm.

some prefer it omelet style or scrambled....Enjoy...My grandmother would be proud....go know....

E.

#118250 - 11/02/04 05:56 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Oh Amanda, Since I LOVE egg and onion (another true "Jew Food"???? LOL) I know I'd love kippers and eggs. But I always ate kippers just straight out of the can, with crackers. Since I've found sardines packed in water, I've been in heaven and have gone to them. Tell me that there REALLY IS such a thing as kippers packed in water? What brand????

For years my mom would make chopped liver, but only at holiday time, making it a special treat I grew to love. She never told me it was a Jewish food that she got hooked on from a friend when she was younger. Talk about shocked when I found out!!! I would still eat my weight in it if I could!!! (And to think I'm an Irish Protestant! LOL)

Kandee

--------------------

Re: kippers and more kippers new
      #118252 - 11/02/04 05:59 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

My dad does it exactly the same way.
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

kippers new
      #118304 - 11/03/04 05:29 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

This has been such a fun thread. It's so interesting to me that I always though of kippers as "Jew Food," but it looks like lots of people from all over eat them. I've always thought that focusing on cuisine would be such an interesting way to learn about different cultures. Maybe when I'm old I'd do the research and write a book/cookbook. I'm too busy for about the next 50 years though, so I'll just eat. Thanks for the reminder about one of my old faves -- Kippers are back on my shopping list!
--Panda

--------------------
Amanda

#118305 - 11/03/04 05:34 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Season Kippers are packed in water, according to their ingredients. fresh direct webpage . They are still considerably high in fat, but so are my sardines. I guess the rule is to have lots of SFS with it, and don't top with extra butter or oil. Mmmmm I want these now!

--------------------
Amanda

Neither do I . Can someone tell me? new
      #118742 - 11/03/04 05:43 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2998

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review