All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Counseling helps IBS
      #117850 - 11/01/04 04:43 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Someone sent me an article that said that people who get counseling AND medical treatment at the same time have better outcomes. This doesn't surprise me as I have also read that anywhere from 50-90% of IBS sufferers also have an anxiety disorder.

Has anyone done the medical/counseling routes simultaneously and what were your results?

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well... new
      #117860 - 11/01/04 05:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

After the holidays, I'm going to find a new counselor and give it another try. I did it once, about the same time I started getting medical treatment, and it was pointless - after talking to a friend who's also a psychologist, we came to the conclusion that my therapist had used up her entire "bag of tricks" on me, and when I wasn't responding to ANY of it, she didn't know what to do with me. The bottom line is that therapy didn't do anything for me, in any respect... but I still want to give it another try before I give up on the idea completely.

I don't know exactly what you're referring to in terms of "medical treatment" - I'm assuming prescriptions - but on a somewhat-related note, once I started an anti-anxiety medication (lexapro), I haven't needed ANY of the meds prescribed to me for IBS symptoms. So I'm definitely a believer in the mind-gut connection, and anything that addresses the "mind" end of things, be it a therapist or a pill or both, can only be a potential help.

Re: Counseling helps IBS new
      #117864 - 11/01/04 05:58 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi,

I've tried therapy. Did 9 months of it using a process called EMDR. (This site gives you details: www.wholehealthmd.com).

This process is used by some psychologists to remove the way we process traumas. (In my case it was an abusive childhood and teens.) Apparently our mind reacts to certain stimulii as if we are reliving the initial incident. As each thought has a physiological reaction, (in my case, my reactions weren't appropriate for an adult or for good health), e.g., high blood pressure and IBS. The process is supposed to allow you to finish dealing with the incident in an adult - in my case - fashion and move on.

For me it worked. I had (have I suppose because she is always there if I need her) a lovely therapist who was very understanding. She was very willing to try a number of things, but we found that EMDR really suited me.

I never went down the meds trail,however. I'm very wary about the long term affects of the drugs they like handing out, so about 6 months into the therapy, I tried Mike's IBS 100 Audio hypnotherapy program with astounding success. After completing it I waited the required 3 months (champing at the bit) and then went on to Towards Inner Peace and I can't put into words - but I'll try - how well and what a difference this has made to me. It really is well worth your while to check out the hypno page. I've only had one problem since and that was because I ate 250grams of cashews at one sitting without any soluable fibre. The attack only lasted over night and after a fairly normal bowel movement next morning, I was fine. After all these years (I'm 51), I feel like I'm finally in control.

So, very long winded and I'm sorry for that, but therapy - if you find a good, supportive therapist - and most definitely Mike's tapes are what I recommend.

Very best regards,
Bevp

Re: How to find Mike's IBS 100 Audio hypnotherapy new
      #117939 - 11/02/04 04:46 AM
KimGun

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Caribbean

Hi BevP

Just wondering how do I find Mike's IBS 100 Audio hypnotherapy?

Re: Counseling helps IBS new
      #117941 - 11/02/04 04:51 AM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

I will be going this week to my girls therapist (pharmocologist) who suggested I should change from paxil, what I take now (for OCD) and take something conducive (?) for my IBS. From what I have been reading SSRI's seem to help. :D

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

You can find it... new
      #117954 - 11/02/04 06:13 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

right here Heather sells it here on the site.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1582 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 782

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review