All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help
      #117748 - 11/01/04 11:11 AM
lxpritc

Reged: 11/01/04

Please help...i have severe reactions whenever I eat. Unless I eat bread,pasta and the like. I will have such severe cramping and involutary diarrhea that I ruin a lot of my clothes. I cannot eat salads at all,even with soluble fiber. This gets very embarrasing as it will happen in public,sometimes right away or when I least expect it. Please help me get this under control. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help new
      #117751 - 11/01/04 11:20 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

so sorry to hear of your suffering...you WILL get better and get a handle on this.
Have you been diagnosed with IBS? Have you undergone all the tests to rule out anything else? Have you read heathers book 'ibs the first year'?
For now stick to a diet of white carbohydrates, bananas and applesauce. Give your poor body a break for a few days till the diarrhea stops (IT WILL).
We are here to help always.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#117762 - 11/01/04 11:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

A) have IBD and other ailments been ruled out by your doc?
b) I can't eat a salad or raw veggies at all.. neither can a lot of the rest of us... but start with reducing your diet to a limited safe one (what to eat when you can't eat anything) and taking a fiber supplement.... then add foods back slowly once you get the D under some sort of control! that way you will know which foods are triggers and can then avoid them.. and remember that with fruits and vegetables cooked and even pureed are better then whole because they are easier to digest...

Good luck!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#117766 - 11/01/04 12:19 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Sorry to hear you are not doing well at this time.

Have you been diagnosed with IBS? You did not state this in your post.

When you have a confirmed diagnosis of what you have, you will find all the help you need right here.

Get back to us soon with that diagnosis so the healing process may begin.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#117769 - 11/01/04 12:25 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
First of all, I am so sorry you are having such a rough time with your stomach. I hope that, if you do have IBS, this site can help you get yourself stable and provide you some support, sounds like you could really use some!
I am going to repeat what the other 2 said and ask if you've been tested for all the conditions that can mimick IBS? The diet and the information on here may still help to a degree if you are suffering from an IBD or something else, but you DEFINITELY will need to get good medical advice first.
If you have had all the tests (and we know how awful they are, but they are so so necessary) and the doctors have told you that you have IBS (If they've told you this without any testing, you have a right to see another doctor and insist on the tests) then hopefully you'll find some good help here. I would go back to the "What to eat when you can't eat anything" diet, and I would keep a food diary of every single thing you eat and every reaction you have. I lived off rice and rice cakes and pretzels for quite a while, but it does help.
Are you taking a SFS (Soluble Fiber Supplement) at the moment? If not, you might want to try that but starting off very, very slowly.
It sounds like you might also want to see your doctor and getting some medication for the cramping like an anti-spasmodic or something else (or you can try Peppermint Capsules for non-prescription relief) that may help with the cramping, and should help the diarrhea as well.
If you are having a lot of D, make sure you are drinking lots of water as well. Also try drinking Peppermint and Fennel tea - good strong Peppermint tea was a real help for me.
I hope this helps for now, you should be able to take a good look around and find a lot of tips.
Good luck and welcome to the site!
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#117774 - 11/01/04 12:28 PM
lxpritc

Reged: 11/01/04

I have been diagnosed...never knew there was a site like this. I have struggled with this for years. I just need to get going on the right way to diet without depriving myself of the things I know I need. When I stay away from the triggers I seem fine but it only takes a small amount to get me going again...no pun intended. I also have diabetes, hypothyroidism,depression,high cholesterol and acid reflux. Got any good ideas? I have read the book, it is awesome. thanks

Eeek! Salads!!! new
      #117795 - 11/01/04 01:13 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I used to love salads but I've come to terms with the fact that I am never going to be able to eat a bowl of salad without pain and D ever again. Salads and raw veggies are the worst things possible for me!

I do eat alot of veggies, but they're all cooked. You'll probably need to cut right down on what insoluble fibre veggies and fruit you eat until you stabilise. That still leaves loads of SF ones: cooked carrots, avocadoes, mangoes, banana, papaya, cooked apple, etc. And peeling others like zuchhini makes them extra safe.

Good luck. ANd make sure you get a good SFS!

#117797 - 11/01/04 01:14 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Make an appointment to see your GI doc, get a diagnosis as to what you have and we can take it from there.

It is very difficult to make suggestions when you don't know what you are dealing with.

See your doc, we will be right here, waiting, when you receive a diagnosis.

Good luck.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1837 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review