All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone take xanax?
      #11754 - 06/16/03 06:09 AM
Jenn

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: NJ

I seem to think my anxiety had a lot to do with my onset of ibs, but now it has become this vicious cycle and my ibs has caused me to have anxiety attacks when I leave the house: heart racing, sweaty palms, feeling like I'm choking, tingling in my feet -just from the mere thought of having an attack in a controlled environment (ie. long car trip when I am not the driver). I had considered going on antidepressents but my husband has not had the best experience with them. has anyone taken Xanax for anxiety? Any success with ibs symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone take xanax? new
      #11756 - 06/16/03 06:56 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

I don't take any xanax or anything for anxiety except like you sometimes I get anxious when I have a long trip ahead of me or go somewhere;where I can't get to the bathroom fast enough( I have IBS/IBD?D) so I take a half of a gravol and an immodium. And just breath in deep and try to relax. Try this it may help.

#11762 - 06/16/03 07:16 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

You just described me in a nutshell. Everything you wrote is exactly what I've been going through. For me it just took one too many "close calls" and feeling sick while out to make me start staying home. Then that caused a cycle of stress-driven IBS.

My doctor recommended Prozac. I let it sit in it's little bottle for a month before I finally decided to take it. I've only been taking it for a week now, but it seems to have helped me deal with everyday aggravations better (like when the kids are really really at each other!), but to be honest, I still feel anxious about going places. I guess I was hoping for a miracle.

When I must go into a situation where I feel I'm not in control, (last week I went to the dentist with my three kids - ahhhhh!) I do a lot of deep breathing and try to use positive thoughts. Sometimes it works and sometimes I can't wait to get out of there! Sorry that I can't offer much advice, but maybe it will help to know that you are definately not alone! Maybe we can help each other with this.

Gretchen

#11789 - 06/16/03 12:16 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Jenn,

I've taken Xanax for 15 years (suffered terribly from panic disorder with mild agoraphobia). I don't take it daily, only when I need it. I take a very low dose (usually less than 2mg a day when I need it, most of the time only about .75mg). Besides the anxiety, it helps with tinnitus (ringing in the ears) which is part of my Meniere's disease (a hearing and balance disorder). My counselor several years ago taught me about deep breathing and "facing the fearful thought" - it has helped tremendously. The idea behind facing the thought is to actually allow some of the anxiety to "happen" and then do the breathing to calm the physiological symptoms - racing heart, sweaty palms, etc. If we constantly avoid the thoughts / situations, we actually give more "power" to the anxiety-producing triggers. Does that make sense? For me, personally, I also went through my Bible and found comforting Scriptures about God's presence in times of trouble, His power to save, etc., and I wrote them out on paper and take them with me when I have to "face" something. After using these strategies, I really surprised my dentist! He couldn't believe I was the same patient! I ask his assistant to "remind" me to breathe deeply while I'm in the chair - if my chest is moving but my tummy isn't, she knows I'm breathing too shallowly. Back to the Xanax, it can be highly addictive for some people, but my dosage has never really changed in the 15 years. Hope this is helpful.

Blessings,
Kaybee C

PS: Re: Anyone take xanax? new
      #11791 - 06/16/03 12:19 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Forgot to say that I keep Imodium in my purse at all times - if your anxiety is really just about the need to find a bathroom, etc, I'd try that before I tried the Xanax or Prozac! When I was having a long string of attacks (D), I took Imodium daily before I left the house, just in case. When I broke the cycle, I quit taking it daily - just when I feel the "gurgling" if I'm out. Kaybee C

#11815 - 06/16/03 03:35 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Be careful taking xanax. Your body can become dependent on it---if you do not take it under the watchful eye of a competent doctor. If you take it regularly and you just stop, your anxiety will be worse (what they call "rebound anxiety.") It is a lifesaver taken in small doses on a short-term basis (like when you are waiting for an anti-depressant to start working), but you cannot just stop taking it. You must have a doctor that will help you slowly wean off of it. Don't ever abuse it or you will be in trouble! I have several friends whose family members ended up in a drug rehab program after taking high dosages of it and becoming addicted to it.
If you are having panic attacks on a regular basis, you might want to try Zoloft. It will help, but you have to be patient. Like most of the new anti-depressants, it may take a month or two before you notice any results.

For Gretchen new
      #11816 - 06/16/03 03:37 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Be patient with the anti-depressant. Most of the newer ones take a month or two before they kick in.

#11818 - 06/16/03 04:45 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I have no advice on the xanax, but I do want to say for you, or anyone else, that is experiencing anxiety over leaving the house that I strongly recommend the hypno tapes. I am using them now, and will be finished my 100 days next month. I can not believe the tremendous difference they have made to my life. I am not exaggerating or kidding here. I am dead serious.

Yes I did suffer, and still do to some degree, anxiety for leaving home. There was no way I wanted any parts of anything to do with leaving my house--my sanctuary--to experience "life". I mean, how can it be "life", if you don't feel like you really have one, so terrified of what may happen that you don't even enjoy it. Just the thought of leaving brought on an attack. Sometimes I got the sweaty palms, racing heart, hyperventilating, tight chest, feeling like I was just going to die, literally, right then and there. Plus, I was always afraid if I did have to go, I wouldn't make it to the bathroom in time. Oh, and yes, I did experience my worst nightmare before--I didn't make it!

As awful as that all was, these tapes have changed my life, and they are still doing so. Them along with the Eating for IBS diet. For example, right now I'm on antibiotics, which really stirs my tummy up, and yesterday morning although I felt not quite stable, I went out anyway...to a flea market. Do you know what it's like trying to find a restroom there (if they even had one ?). And you know what, I did it and I survived, both panic & IBS attack free, and I have Mike Mahoney and Heather to thank for that. There have been many other incidents like this in the past 1-2 months or so. I'm even thinking about traveling, although I haven't quite got that far--YET!!

I admit, I was skeptical of them at first, if that's what you're thinking. I didn't want to spend that much money for something that may not work. But you know what--they are working!

Honestly, you've got nothing to lose but about $100, and if you think about it, it's only about $1 a day. The worst you can get is disappointment if they don't work, and don't you really already pretty much have that with IBS anyway?

PS: I swear I don't work for Mike Mahoney!

I didn't know that new
      #11819 - 06/16/03 04:47 PM
Gretchen

Thanks. I didn't know that the anti-depressants take time to start working. You would think the doctor would tell you something like that! They just send you off with a med and say, "call me in two weeks, let me know how you're doing"! I'll be patient.

Gretchen

#11821 - 06/16/03 05:02 PM
Gretchen

Wow. I don't quite know what to say. You described everything just absolutely exactly the way I feel. I must be where you were a couple of months ago. I leave my "safe" place (home) when I need to, but that's about it. I am so glad the tapes are working so well for you. I am still sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to give them a shot or not. I guess I am half afraid my husband will think it's a bit nuts! He's very, very supportive, but lately I think I've been trying his patience! Right now he is at our son's cubscout meeting, my responsiblity (I'm asst. Den Leader), but I bowed out tonight because the thought of going was upsetting my stomach and giving me gas! (go ahead and laugh, I am...)

I realize that I need to do something though because the longer I stay in my safe prison of a house, the harder it will be to get out...

Oh, many people have mentioned Immodium AD. I will have to get some of that (next time I venture out!).

G

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2008 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3710

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review