All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I too have a question on the SFS
      #116250 - 10/27/04 08:47 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I had started on Citrucel a few years ago and got D when I first started it. Was i starting with to much? How much should I start with and what are other kinds work? I am very scared to try it again. Once I used it for a week it worked but it was a matter of remembering and not having to go through starting it again. I am already very IBS-D. Would the pill form work better? I know you have to take more of that than the drink form. Help where do I start? Thanks! Fembeth

Edited by FEMBETH (10/27/04 08:50 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I too have a question on the SFS new
      #116271 - 10/27/04 09:16 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

You have to work up to an amount to get you stable. It differs from person to person. I tried the Citrucel and didn't have much luck w/ it, but I know others on this board use it w/ no problem. I think Casey (Atomic Rose) was taking it at one time? I am also IBS-D and I take Benefiber in a powder form 4 tbsp. a day and that seems to be my magic combo to keep me stable. Benefiber is gritless and tasteless so it works for me but it is more expensive then others SFS. And Heather recommends the Acacia and others swear by it. So you just need to find what works for you. I believe 12-15g of Fiber is what it takes to get stable, but maybe some of the other ladies will know for sure.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#116285 - 10/27/04 09:36 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am IBS-A. I take two Citrucel capsules around 8:00am, two again at 1:30pm and two before bed (around 9-9:30pm). It works okay for me. I have a bm once per day and it is firm stool.

It took a while for the Citrucel to adjust to my body, but when it did I was elated. In fact I have tried other supplements over a two week period and they have all made me C. I always return to Citrucel, this time I think I will stay with it.

When I was on Zelnorm, I had D for about a week then became firm. I stopped taking it because it is only temporary help.

I hope this helps in some way.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Yup... new
      #116287 - 10/27/04 09:38 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I took the Citrucel at first, and it gave me cramps, gas, and D. Needless to say, that didn't last long. I switched to Fiber Choice chewables and didn't look back.

FEMBETH - how much of the citrucel did you take? The key is to start with a tiny amount and work up gradually (I increased every 4-5 days). When I took citrucel, I started with 1/2 tsp, I think. If you jump right in with the dose on the container, you'll definitely set yourself up for problems!

#116321 - 10/27/04 11:17 AM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

I took Citrucel, and it only made my D worse...yes, I am also IBS-D. I also tried Benefiber and Acacia with no luck. The only thing that seems to work for me is metamucil...and the powder works better than the pills for me. It is unfortunately trial and error! Good luck, and keep trying things.

#116346 - 10/27/04 12:29 PM
Pezz

Reged: 10/06/03
Loc: NYC

i'm a little hesitant also to start a fiber supp but if the benefits outweigh the pains of finding the right one i'll try. altho i only took 2 doses (at a third of a full dose) this sunday of benefiber chewables it's wednesday and i had to take off work today b/c the cramps were hurting so badly. i got pretty backed up and gassy and it caused a painful cramp to permanently reside in my lower gut for the past 2 days. not fun.

who thought such a tiny dosage would be so effective? yikes. on to the next brand. AS, i may try the fiber choice next time i have to space out my experiments tho b/c missing work every 2 weeks really isn't an option :P good luck.

#116525 - 10/27/04 07:48 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

i'm a little hesitant also to start a fiber supp but if the benefits outweigh the pains of finding the right one i'll try. altho i only took 2 doses (at a third of a full dose) this sunday of benefiber chewables it's wednesday and i had to take off work today b/c the cramps were hurting so badly. i got pretty backed up and gassy and it caused a painful cramp to permanently reside in my lower gut for the past 2 days. not fun.

who thought such a tiny dosage would be so effective? yikes. on to the next brand. AS, i may try the fiber choice next time i have to space out my experiments tho b/c missing work every 2 weeks really isn't an option :P good luck.

I think the benefits do outway the negatives, but you do have to find the one that works for you. I hesitated for awhile, because Citrocel gave me attacks, as did Acacia. Benefiber I could tolerate fine but didn't seem to do anything. So for awhile I didn't use anything, and then I tried Metamucil and it worked the best, and I'm so glad I use it. So I think it does pay to search through them and fine the one that works best for you, it really can help a lot!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1731 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1885

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review