All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Prenatal vitamins and asacol
      #116064 - 10/26/04 03:05 PM
cjkellerco

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: Colorado

I started taking prenatal vitamins about a 6 weeks ago in preperation to start trying to get pregnant. I was taking about 8 asacol a day and have noticed that I do not need that many pills while taking the prenatals, and have scaled back to only 4 a day. Has anyone else noticed the change in their need for less colitis medication while on multi or prenatal vitamins? Just wondering if this is normal or not?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prenatal vitamins and asacol new
      #116174 - 10/26/04 11:25 PM
Alice A.

Loc: Knoxville, MD

Not sure about colitis as I am IBS-C, but I do know that when I was pregnant with my son and on a prenatal vitamin, my symptoms pretty much disappeared. Didn't return in force until I stopped nursing. Almost wish I could be pregnant all the time now . Anyone have this happen or know why it does?

#116332 - 10/27/04 11:49 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I have Crohn's and even though it is tempting to lower my medication when I am feeling better I know that it can cause problems in the long run. A lot of people stop taking their meds when they are in remission not realizing they need to take them for the rest of their life to try and prevent relapses. You might want to check with your doctor before you lower your meds especially if you are trying to become pregnant. If your disease isn't stable you could increase your risk for a miscarriage. Take care!

#116484 - 10/27/04 05:27 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Umm, I'm not sure. I woudl try the crohn's and colitis board. They may have an answer for you. I did find that pregnancy eased my IBS considerably. Something else to look forward to - your symptoms may improve with pregnancy. And with that - good luck!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#116759 - 10/28/04 01:57 PM
cjkellerco

Loc: Colorado

Thanks for your reply, I did post my question to the crohn's and colitis board, but no reponses. I've had UC for 13 years and know my body pretty well, and would never go off of asacol completely, but wanted to know if the decrease in meds was normal with prenatals.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1204

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review