All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Getting discouraged...
      #115767 - 10/25/04 04:05 PM
jacqui

Reged: 10/18/04

I was so excited to find this board last week and I've read the books and started the diet right away. I haven't been diagnosed with IBS (I have a doctor's appointment in November), but I've been having D several times a week for the past few years and thought that there might be something more positive to help me rather than the package of Immodium I go through each week - LOL!

However, I still haven't seen any improvement even after 7 days. The only "cheats" I've had were about a tablespoon of butter and a sprinkle of cheese on my baked potato. I really don't think that dairy is a problem for me anyway, because last month I had a sore throat and ate ice cream for 3 meals a day for a week straight with no D whatsoever.

I'm stumped. Maybe I'm obsessing since I've been keeping a food & symptom diary. I haven't started the fiber supplements yet but plan to order acacia right away. Any ideas or encouragement??

Jacqui

P.S. I love these boards. Everyone seems so friendly and helpful!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting discouraged... new
      #115771 - 10/25/04 04:13 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome Jacqui!

I don't have D, but I still wanted to give you a warm welcome to the boards. I'm sure someone will be around shortly to give you great advice.

PS. Please, don't get discouraged! It will get better, it just takes time.

PPS. After thinking about this for a little while, I remembered that one of our regulars here on the boards has been D free for 9 months. I thought it might help you to read her latest success story... Laura Sue's success story .

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (10/25/04 04:35 PM)

Welcome to the boards new
      #115775 - 10/25/04 04:25 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I see you are keeping a food journal, that is a good thing. There are some things on the list of okay foods that some of us can't eat and vice versa. Like I have found I can only eat certain types of apples. Oatmeal is another tigger for some. There are some people who have dairy on the boards but I would have to say for the most part it causes trouble. My little nephew who is only 3 months is having a hard time with dairy, he gets all gassy, etc. And the nurse told my sister that is could take at least a week or more for the dairy to leave his system and it could be the same for her. So sometimes D attacks can happen right away and other times it might be some time. I know this isn't very encouraging it will take time for you to figure out what you can eat and what you can't. I found the three things that worked best for me(IBS-D) was change of diet, SFS, and 50 mg of nortriptylene. Good luck and keep posting.

--------------------
IBS-D

Hang in there... new
      #115777 - 10/25/04 04:30 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, welcome to the boards! Glad you found us!

Honestly? I didn't see improvements after 7 days on the safe diet either. I think some of us just have stubborn systems or something... I really didn't feel consistently better until I'd been on the diet for a couple months, and had worked my soluble fiber supplement up to around 8g/day. I hope you don't take this as discouraging in any way! What I'm really saying is hang in there - even if it seems like it's not working, it likely will if you stick with it.

In the beginning, I still took Immodium pretty often. In fact, I took it almost every day, but in a small dose - sometimes as little as half a tablet. I found it really did help control the D a little... I know there's others on here who have done the same thing. I know you want to get off the Immodium - and you will, eventually - but at first, taking it might be a good idea.

I'm glad you'll be seeing a doctor in November. It's important to rule out other disorders and problems. Good luck, and keep coming back!

Hello & Welcome!!! new
      #115788 - 10/25/04 04:54 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Welcome to the boards!!! Glad you found us sorry for the reason!! It took almost four weeks for me to see any improvement!! So Hang in there!!! I can handle SMALL amounts of dairy once in awhile and be ok. Most can't!!!
I hope you are feeling better soon. I also hope your DR appt goes well!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#115799 - 10/25/04 05:30 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Jacqui,

What a cool name! Don't get discouraged, just hang in there and you will see improvement soon. I think keeping a food diary is a very good idea that way you can pinpoint what your triggers are. Everybody's are a little different.

Be sure you don't use anything containing sorbitol or mannitol that's in some vitamins, candies & gums. I had "D" for two weeks before I realized mannitol was in my vitamins. YIKES!

Also, I can eat a little dairy but I take a lactaid pill first. If your "D" continues you might want to cut out the dairy all together.

I don't think it will hurt you to continue on the Immodium if it is helping. It's a very good friend to most of us with "D".

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#115840 - 10/25/04 07:53 PM
jacqui

Reged: 10/18/04

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome! I'll keep on the diet and see what happens

Jacqui

Re: Welcome to the boards new
      #116031 - 10/26/04 01:30 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hello and Welcome to the Boards! I really don't have anything else to add to what you have already been told except see your doctor and get a diagnosis.

It's going to be alright. You have found a good board where compassion and love reigns for all.

Welcome.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Just want to wish you a big welcome and we're glad you're here *hugs* n-t new
      #116056 - 10/26/04 02:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#116068 - 10/26/04 03:24 PM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

Hello there and welcome!
It took a while for my system to regulate as well, probably a week to a week and a half... but I went hard core, cutting out everything I shouldn't have. The first two weeks or so, I lived on dry honey combs, peppermint tea, oatmeal, home-baked angel food cake, and applesauce. I'd eat rice or something like that for dinner. I'd take citrucel once a day. Don't lose hope... just be good to yourself & keep on keeping on!!!!

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2597

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review