All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
colonoscopy ?'s
      #115494 - 10/24/04 09:03 PM
Waverider

Reged: 10/18/04

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Nov 8th. I'll be on a liquid diet for 2 days. CRAZY! that is a thursday. What can I put into my body? I don't know what to expect. This is my plan. LOL I know I'm paranoid.
Tuesday go to work and take 2 immodiums. I'll hold off on liquids until the evening.
Calling in sick on wednesday, thursday and friday.
I'm calling in on friday just to let my mind calm because I'm afraid to all of a sudden start eating.

Any insight into what a clear liquid diet means? What can I eat? I'm MSG sensitive so I can't eat any broth from a can. Can I take my fiber? Will it hurt? What what what?????
Matt

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: colonoscopy ?'s new
      #115499 - 10/24/04 09:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's been a while since I've read this, but this might help: Jills "Colonoscopy Prep Made Simple" post.

For what it's worth, Swanson's makes a low-sodium, low-fat, MSG-free canned broth. You should be able to find it in any supermarket.

I'm sure other people will comment later/tomorrow with more helpful information, including things like how they handled eating afterwards. I haven't had a colonoscopy, so I have no personal experience on this one.

Good luck!

#115526 - 10/25/04 05:35 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

swansons broth is safe! I make soups from that all the time, also if you can have jello make sure to have plenty of that on hand.. have you talked to your doc? mine just had me go on liquids like 24 hours in advance, it was bad, but doable.. and she scheduled it first thing in the AM, so I was back at work the following day after all (didn't expect that one) since I was able to eat later that same day.. actually encouraged to do so starting with small amounts of soft things, because of my hypoglycemia..

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#115682 - 10/25/04 12:47 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I have had a colonoscopy. It is not bad at all. I asked the docter to knock me out for the whole thing and he did. Absolutley no trouble afterward. The hardest part of the whole thing is the special laxative drink before hand. I thought I would have to stay close to the toilet but I literally had to sit on the toilet for 2 hours. I could not finish my drink, but it was still enough for the docter. Someone suggested drinking a small amount of 7 up after each 8oz. glass of nastydrink! Carbonation usually bothers me but it prob would have been worth it with that nasty stuff. Make sure what color jello you eat not to eat red and another color (I can't remember the other color). I am assuming because they don't want any mistakes of blood in urine or bowels. Everything will be fine it is a piece of cake. The worst will be over before you even get to the docters to get the procedure. Any questions I am glad to help ( not that I am a expert but I have had this done before and a endoscopy!) Fembeth

#115761 - 10/25/04 03:36 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Waverider,

I had a Colonoscopy done in September of 2003. My GI told me to eal as much jello as I wanted and any color but red.

I ate jello and drank water, but I only had to do it for one day. The nasty part is the drink you have to take to clean you out. It is nasty and you might find that you want have much of an appetite after drinking that awful stuff.

The procedure is simple and painless. When completed they should tell you then and there whether or not is positive or negative. We all know yours will be negative!

When he let me leave the procedure room I was so hungry I wanted everything I saw that was edible. I was a good girl though I ate IBS safe foods until I was full.

I'll tell you, I have not felt that evacuated since.

It will be okay. Hang in there!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#115770 - 10/25/04 04:12 PM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

The colors you should avoid in food are red and purple.

#116917 - 10/28/04 08:57 PM
Waverider

Reged: 10/18/04

Thanks for the tips! I need them for sure. You all make my life better.

The prep is the worst part of the experience new
      #116976 - 10/29/04 07:19 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I've had 3 colonoscopies. The prep (hungry & having lots of diarreah from the meds) is the worst part, as you have to get "cleaned out." I always get very sore "down there" --it literally burns after a while-- probably because my doctors have made me take a saline laxative solution. When it got sore, I used some diaper rash cream, which really helped.

I only had to be on a liquid diet for the day before. But I drank alot of water & clear juices, & I ate jello. I found that once those laxatives start kicking in, I wasn't much in the mood to eat anyway.

The procedure itself is a breeze. You won't even remember it.

I've always been perfectly fine the next day.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1863

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review