All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Any teachers with IBS?
      #114453 - 10/20/04 05:10 PM
Waverider

Reged: 10/18/04

What can I expect for the future? I'm a teacher. Will I have to leave my job? What if I have an accident on myself and have to stand there in front of my students? High School Kids! OOOOHHH!!!! I'm fearing the future.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any teachers with IBS? new
      #114462 - 10/20/04 05:32 PM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

This would be interesting for me to hear, as I am a future teacher. I would love for someone to put in their two cents! I am terrified for when I have my own classroom...elementary kids so you can't leave the room! Well best of luck and I hope someone responds to you!

Amanda

#114468 - 10/20/04 05:49 PM
Waverider

OK! I'm a teacher now. I don't usually just D out of nowhere. My last trigger at school was 2x20 oz cups of OJ and 4 cups of coffee on an empty stomach. I left my class and ran for the RR. Since I've always carried Immodium with me for the past 2 years, I took 3. Some days I just take Immodium because my lower end just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure if this is ok or not but I have to survive until I retire. The damn principal has his own RR. I never leave valuables in my room in case I have to leave the scene. I don't know about elementary kids. They are crazy. Teaching is a horrible job if you have IBS. Now I watch tv and see people and wonder "what if they have to go to the bathroom?" LOL I'm obsessed. IBS owns my mind. I hope I can overcome this but I'm not sure how.

#114470 - 10/20/04 05:52 PM
meech

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Long Island, NY, USA

Yes, I am a teacher with IBS. Let me just say it can be very frustrating at times! Always have a backup in case you have to make a quick exit from the classroom. It as happened to me about 4 times during school hours in the last 5 years. I always make sure I know another teacher during the period I teach so I could just stick my head out of the room and call for someone to watch my class. Be prepared and you will be a lot more relaxed!! Good luck!!

not a teacher but here's some advice (long post) new
      #114480 - 10/20/04 06:32 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Matt (i think that is your name). Hi! I am not a teacher but my sister is and my other sister is going to be one, they don't have IBS, but that is besides the point. The point is, I am an engineer at a Power Plant, there is only one girl's restroom on the whole plant site (I work with all men). Often if I know I am going to be away from the lady's room or crawling through the boiler or condensor tubes where there is no fast get away, I will take Immodium, as a preventative. It is okay to take Immodium if your tummy feels a little fluttery or not quite right. I do it if I have a long drive to a meeting or know that I will be away from a restroom. Also, on the days you know you have something to do that you could not get away from then the night and day before make sure you are very careful with your diet.

Yes, white rice will plug you up, it will plug "normal" people up also, if you eat too much. Don't be scared of insolubles, work in some cooked carrots, spinach, etc. in with solubles of course like rice and pasta.

But most of all calm down, and breathe. When you start obsessing and concentrating on your stomach, try to think of something else. Tell yourself, that you are okay, your feelings are okay, and you are not the only person in the world that feels this way sometimes. Think of us on this message board, and how well most of us are doing by following the diet.

Just believe me, you will get better. At one time I was down to 119 lbs. and thought I would never eat again. I was literally mad at food. But now I am overall, most days, okay. Once you learn what foods are okay and what foods don't agree with you, then you can make safe decisions when you are in situations where a restroom is not close by. Then you can tell yourself "i am going to be okay, I only ate safe foods".

Sorry, so long, but your posts make it seem like you are feeling overwhelmed, I just wanted you to know that I felt the same way about a year ago, and now I don't.

angela

#114492 - 10/20/04 07:10 PM
ocafe

Reged: 09/06/03
Loc: Miami, Florida

I have been teaching since last December and know exactly what you are feeling. I have (on the most part) managed attacks by really being careful with my diet. I eat very little in the morning (some dry cereal) and for lunch I usually eat a snack only (pretzels, more dry cereal). However, as time has gone by I have tried eating a turkey sandwich, w/ fat free mayo only on sourdough bread and do okay. At night I have to eat early. I try not to eat later than 7pm. And of course, I take my daily dose of Immodium (I'm sure that's not so healthy, but I'm afraid to go without it.) and Citrucel. Start out with the safest foods: bread, dry cereal, rice if it is really bad, and slowly introduce other foods. And remember anxiety plays a big part. I have had times when I ate all the right things, but because I was afraid of "having to go" I really did! Do stay calm and I always tell myself that life goes on. I mean it's no fun living with fear all the time. Now I know in a classroom of kids, we think of the worst, but just be prepared as someone else said. Have a backup plan which will ease you and your stomach! Best of luck!

--------------------
lost 4.5 in two days!!
18 more to reach my short term goal!

#114516 - 10/20/04 08:31 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hi... I'm not a teacher.. but I'm an interning school psychologist and will be one really soon. We have a little more freedom.. but its still hard mid assessment when you have to try to find someone to watch the kid will I have diarrhea. Luckily it hasn't happened yet.. but I can only imagine! YIKES.

--------------------

Long Posts are Great! new
      #114518 - 10/20/04 09:19 PM
Waverider

I really appreciate the long posts as I know it means that you understand my pain. I've never understood what people go through when they are having head problems but I'm figuring it out now. I've definitely been humbled by this and have taken a whole new outlook on life and ....food. LOL All I know is on Friday, I'm going to eat lots of rice and some insoluble fiber. LOL

#114549 - 10/21/04 05:41 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I am an elementary teacher with IBS-C. I don't usually have to run anywhere unless I have a major attack when I haven't gone in awhile. I would talk to a trusted co-worker whose class is close to yours and create some kind of signal when you have to leave. I have upper elementary so I usually just say "I'll be back." You don't have to be specific. I also provide an incentive when kids are good and I am out of the room. I don't know about your principal but mine is great and I have let her know why I might be out of the room. Good Luck and don't stress about it! That makes it worse!

Angela E.

Quick hug for all of the teachers out there... new
      #114554 - 10/21/04 05:52 AM
UrbanRain

Reged: 10/15/04
Loc: Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley), Calif.

You should have a higher salary than docs... But, I won't get on a political bandwagon, here.

Hey, it's all about the kids...

Bob.

--------------------
Life is transitory, love is not!

I am not a teacher but I feel for you! new
      #114622 - 10/21/04 10:35 AM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I did have that happen to me in the middle of the mall. I was thankful my mom was with me to take care of my girls so I could use the restroom but it was to late. I don't know if anyone noticed it was in the winter and I had a long coat on. (I will not wear anything but a long coat now.)Panic attacks started after that. I have a fear of being in the car and having a ooops! The panic attacks happen in the car so I keep my medication on my lap for safety.

As far as work goes. I am a waitress and there are only two stalls in the whole place. My co-workers know about my condition so all I have to say is I gotta go and they are there to watch my section and will take care of my customers BIG FEAR! what if the stalls are taken?

This condition is a factor in everything I do. I had finally built up confidence to go to stores as long as I knew were the restrooms were. When the mall accident happened it shot my confidence and I am starting from scratch and it has been almost a yr since it happened and am still struggling with it. I would suggest also the back up plan method. If others know what you are going through then they can help you. I take a imodium everyday before work and also a gasx.

I hope this will help to know you are not alone. It is very frustrating to think that this condition controls your life and you don't. Good Luck! Fembeth

#114633 - 10/21/04 11:19 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I am not teaching at present, but I did teach Austic children for ten years. Of course my IBS was no where near as bad as it is now.

I am the Administrative Administrator for the Chair of the University of California San Francisco. Since I work at a hospital you would think that I would be able to cope better - wrong!!!!!

There is no understanding of IBS in this area and I am considered "a very nervous and anxious person". When I have to meet with the GI docs, they are very understanding of my digestive problems but have no solutions.

Like you, I lived in fear for quite some time. I was walking through the hospital one day and thought I had to pass gas; I stepped in a corner where no one could see or hear me to let it pass. It was not gas but diarrhea. I panicked, ran to the bathroom took off my underwear and washed them out then placed them outside my window to dry. Ever since then, I wear panty liners and always have extra underwear at work. I will never forget that day, I truly was a very nervous and anxious person, a classic nut case!!

I stuck to the diet, took my SFS, read this board as often as I could and it never happened again.

I know it is difficult with children, but you can do it. If you stick to the diet, take your SFS and other IBS-related meds you can become stable. We have one person on this board who has been stabled for 9 months. Just think of it 9 months, no C or D just normal stool.

That's what I am shooting for. when I get fearful or uncertain about something, I come to this board. Someone always has the answer I need.

Good luck.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#114796 - 10/21/04 07:12 PM
amitchell83

Reged: 09/11/03

I completely know what you mean. I find myself always thinking about where the next bathroom is. I am still in college so I make sure I know where all the restrooms are around each of my classes. I have often wondered how it will be in my classroom, however, with all the advice given here I am a little more at ease. I do know what you mean about the Immodium! I feel horrible, because I feel like I take too much of it..I am sure it can't be good for me, but I need that to fall back on!

Best of luck in your teaching experience with all the wonderful support here you will be fine!!

Amanda

#115065 - 10/22/04 05:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Not that I'm suggesting that you do this - but I basically ate rice all day and then tried insolubles at night. I was terrified of having an attack. What I finally did was go to my principal and explained the situation. He arranged for another teacher (the resource teacher) to relieve me at any time (I just had to duck my head in his door and he'd go monitor my class). I felt so relieved! So, if I did have an attack, it was OK. And guess what? I had less attacks because I wasn't as worried!
I taught grade 789 and I know - you leave the room unsupervised and you're DEAD. With high school kids, I found that most classes I could trust enough to leave them for a short period of time.
Good luck, and sending you a hug.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#115375 - 10/24/04 12:03 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Waverider; I am a supply teacher and supply EA. so I know how you feel, anxious?? I was too. Now when I am called in (I'm IBS/D with Proctitis Colitis), I take one immodium just in case. If I get too anxious I know I will be in trouble.(running) If I get a little crampy, I do lamaze breathing and say too myself relax, relax,relax. Good luck with the teaching, don't leave as I'm sure your students would miss you!! Take care Sue

high school teacher here new
      #115390 - 10/24/04 01:41 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

When the IBS is really acting up, things can get interesting. Toward the end of last year I left my fourth period class (right after lunch) several times. If kids were working quietly, I'd just give a nod to the teacher nextdoor and do "the walk" to the bathroom. A couple of times I called security to come watch my class.

I have not had such an emergency in seven weeks of school this year. Why?
1. During the first week of school, I took immodium when my stomach felt bad.
2. I keep my lunches on the safe side. I chew any veggies *very* thoroughly, and I rely on baby food fruit, applesauce, and bananas as my fruit.
3. I am on about day 90 of the hypnotherapy program, and I'm honestly starting to believe it has had a huge impact on my improvement.

If you can't get your symptoms under control, I suggest you talk to your principal about getting your prep period right after lunch next year. If my symptoms hadn't improved, that would have been my next step.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4791 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review