All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: What does everyone here do for a living and how does IBS affect your work? new
      #11354 - 06/11/03 06:40 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I started off 12 years ago as an Optician and evantually started Teching of Opth. C has always been my problem, so I have to deal with more stomach pain. I haven't worked for 21/2 years and decided last Fall to go back to school for Nursing. This Fall I will be a full time student (since my baby is going to Kindergarten ) and if all goes well I will have my Bachelors Degree as an RN in three years.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What does everyone here do for a living and how does IBS affect your work? new
      #11359 - 06/11/03 06:52 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I taught grade 7 and 8. Needless to say, I leave the room and I return to chaos. I finally gave up eating until I finished for the day (toast for breakfast and rice for lunch). Sad. That was before Heather's diet. It was SO frustrating, and the bathroom was 2 hallways and a flight of stairs away! And I'm IBS-D! I did have some classes I could leave, but others absolutely not. It was so brutal.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11360 - 06/11/03 07:04 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

I taught Kindergarten for 8 years. Fortunately, we team taught in an inclusion classroom. So I always had support. Five year olds are exhausting however, and sometimes they have more potty problems than we do. It is a hard job when you don't feel your best. I recently took a leave of absence to pursue my dream of being an artist full time. My husband has been wonderful about this and I am grateful for the opportunity.

#11363 - 06/11/03 07:20 AM
Catherine

Reged: 05/28/03

I'm lucky - I do research and marketing for the retail division of a commercial real estate company. That means if I'm in pain, I can usually choose a project that will allow me to sit quietly at my computer. The bathrooms, unfortunately, are right behind the receptionist's desk, but she's a good friend of mine (I actually helped get her this job). I secretly suspect she has IBS, too - she just calls it "issues."

#11366 - 06/11/03 07:32 AM
ColbySD

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: San Diego, Ca

Sounds like most of us are fortunate in our work situations. I work for a local safety supply company as their webmaster and marketing coordinator. For the past 7 months I have been given the opportunity to work from my home, which has been a blessing. Since I have no children my only social connections have been at the grocery store , kinda looking forward to getting back to work to interact with some people.

Colby

--------------------
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
--Bern Williams

#11367 - 06/11/03 07:40 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Thank you everyone for all your responses. It's been nice to learn how others deal with this situation. Thank you so much for sharing experiences, suggestions, cute child photos, and most of all support.

It shows how strong we are that we don't let this IBS-D or C get in our way. We just find a way around it and ways to cope with it.

#11368 - 06/11/03 07:42 AM
Chris

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Kansas

Luckily I don't have to work yet (I just turned 16), but the last 3 months of my freshman year of high school were horrible. I missed 50 days of school in three months, I only had one or two attacks at school, most were at night and almost flunked out of every course. Luckily where I live they offer an alternate high school where you can do all your schoolwork at home and take all the tests over the computer, and earn a diploma.I love it, because of my IBS-D I can go to the bathroom when ever I want to, and I have almost no stress.

Re: jasperlovel new
      #11375 - 06/11/03 09:28 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

thanks ruchie for this information. i will keep you posted.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#11377 - 06/11/03 09:44 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I am an executive assistant. There are 3 women in our company and we all work here in the same office. I am lucky one woman is my mother-in-law and she has Ulcerative Colitis and is very understanding. The other girl has been diagnosed with IBS-C. The guys at work no about my problem, and often ask me lots of questions about it. My job can be very stressful from time to time so I do have flare ups at work and have to leave early to avoid rush hour traffic. Sometimes I've had to come in late waiting for my stomach to settle, but all in all they are very supportive. They even changed my hours because I never leave for lunch. I worked at a school as an attendance clerk when I was first diagnosed. I don't know what I would do now that it has harder to control.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#11416 - 06/11/03 04:36 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I dont' fly the helicopter, although it would be fun! I love my job, except when I am sick, and unfortunately I get airsick at times too, double trouble! I was out Today, was a very long day and my stomach hates me right now! We basically tell the pilot where to go, so if I need to land for you know what, I can...However other jobs I had in the past have been horrible for IBS, such as working in an office supply store, I could not bring myself to use a public bathroom while customers were in the store, so it made my days worse!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32829

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review