All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My hair is falling out in clumps!!
      #111905 - 10/10/04 05:19 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am losing a alot of hair the past few weeks. I am clogging ever drain in the bathroom with it!! After I shower when I brush it huge amounts of hair is coming out. I am picking hair off me all day long. Is it the change in diet I wonder or what. Anybody have any Ideas. Could it be the meds or I am just falling apart

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

DO NOT FREAK OUT new
      #111908 - 10/10/04 05:26 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Back in February in the hospital, I lost *half* my hair. With the meds I was on after that, I lost a lot more later. It was major grief bigtime for me, my hair was like my pride and joy. Long and straight and sun-blonded down to my belt loops at the age of 46 !!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

I have a new haircut, though, and it ain't bad, got used to it pretty fast. Once I got off the nasty antibiotics and steroids and stuff, it started growing like MAD again. Don't panic. It'll come back, you just have to deal with it for a little while.

Re: My hair is falling out in clumps!! new
      #111910 - 10/10/04 05:32 PM
Lil' Bell

Reged: 09/14/04
Loc: South Dakota, USA

I have been doing Jenny Craig off and on for a few years now....I found info not too long ago on their board about this...it may be from not getting enough fats in your diet. NOT eating high fat- just the TOTAL amount you get. I have always had issues with my hair- that is how my mom got her cat. She told my dad that a cat couldn't possibly lose more hair than I do! (and it's still a tie between me and my blonde cat- sheesh! Hair all over!)

Hope this helps you some...you may want to look for a different multivitamin (if there is one that is safe for you), or try to add more things like a little avacado, or peanut butter..

Good luck!

Teresa

Re: DO NOT FREAK OUT new
      #111912 - 10/10/04 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Didn't Marge Simpson have that from stress? She hired a nanny. LOL. Try to stay calm and maybe talk to your hairdresser if they are experienced. They actually know a lot. If your hair is dry do what I do, condition every day really heavy but only shampoo once a week or so and maybe the better condition will lead to less loss. I have lost handfuls of hair everyday of my life but that is just the way I am- it is very thick and long and we have to swiffer the bathroom like every day. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#111915 - 10/10/04 06:07 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I used to have that trouble. I don't anymore. Have you noticed that your hair is not growing as much and falling out. I had both and found I had progesterone problem. STRESS can cause hair to fall out also. I know someone that is getting a hair replacement therapy for her hair. She lost alot of hair from the Dr. Atkins diet. Fembeth

Edited by FEMBETH (10/10/04 06:09 PM)

#111922 - 10/10/04 06:47 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Have you ever had your thyroid checked out? Hair loss, brittle nails, weight gain, and sleepiness can all be symptoms of thyroid problems. Call your GP and ask about that, maybe.
I lose hair CONSTANTLY, but I think it's always been that way. I have very dry, wavy, thick hair and only have to wash it once or twice a week (I've never had any kind of oil or grease -- I just wash it because product builds up) anyway in between washings I can run my fingers through my hair and take out a handful every time, and none of it is ever pulling out of my scalp.
Also, try wearing your hair down as much as possible -- ponytails can do a lot of damage if you wear them every day. I have been growing out my hair for about a year now, but I have a rule that if I start wearing it up more than once a week, I need to cut it, because what's the point of having long hair if I never wear it down?
Anyway good luck with this.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#111923 - 10/10/04 06:48 PM
heather7476

I am going to the Doctors on wednesday to have my hormone levels tested. To see if something is off there because I haven't gotten pregnant after a year. It will be intresting to see if that is a problem!!
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#111925 - 10/10/04 06:51 PM
heather7476

I have smi long hair and it is pretty thick. I wear it up every day. I will have to try to start wearing it down. I go the doctors on Wednesday so I will be talking about this with her.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#111926 - 10/10/04 06:53 PM
heather7476

That is what I was wondering. Since everything I eat is low fat now and I don't eat red meat anymore I wondered if it was loss or protine or fat!! I will talk to my doctor.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#111928 - 10/10/04 06:56 PM
heather7476

Thanks Kelly
I am hoping it doesn't start leaving bald spots !!!
I am going to the doc's on wednesday and I am going to talk to her about it. My hair is my the thing I love most about me so I am a litte worried, but I will try not to panick. I am going to buy stock in draino though
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#111929 - 10/10/04 07:00 PM
heather7476

A nanny let me dream ........ Ok I am back to reality!!
I would love one of those!! I know what you mean about the bathroom I could weave a rug lately from all the hair on the floor!! I am going to the Doc's on wednesday and i am going to talk to her about it. My hair gets so greasy if I don't wash it every dang day !! I use a ton of condtioner on it though. UUUUGGGG Maybe i should just shave it all off!! UUMMM maybe not!!!
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#112041 - 10/11/04 12:26 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I agree with Linz. I have hypothyroidism and a Mitral Valve Prolapse. The meds I have to take for these problems make my hair very thin. I have some bald spots even! My dermatologist suggested I take Vitamin for Hair and condition it frequently.

NOW DON'T FREAK OUT! I am losing my hair due to illnesses that have been diagnosed. I wear a wig most of the time, as mine is long but too thin for me to style it in any way.

I accept it, and so does everyone around.

Hang in there, you will be just fine.

BIG HUGS!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#112206 - 10/11/04 09:45 PM
mrsdoodlepunk

Reged: 10/08/04

Hair loss can also occur due to stress or lack of protein or vitamin B-12. Your doctor should be able to help.

#112209 - 10/11/04 09:53 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I had a temporary scare like that. Due to having D most days, I stopped eating very much and the lack of nutrients caused my hair to start falling out. For me it was a lack of protein. It's a good idea to talk to your doc about it, but I bet this will pass.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1500

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review