All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New here, feeling yucky
      #111827 - 10/10/04 12:11 PM
krimson

Reged: 10/10/04

Hi, everyone...

I'm glad I found your forums today. Last night I had one of the worst attacks I've ever had. I'm IBS-A, but last night was definitely a "D" night...UGH! I feel like someone ran me over with a truck today. It's so discouraging.

Aside from whining, I do actually have a question :)

Does anyone else find that there are NO specific foods that trigger an attack? I mean, I can eat a particular food 10 times, and only 1 time will it cause problems. It could be ANY food, actually - I don't seem to have a pattern to what causes the spasms, cramps, and "D," and nothing which seems to cause me to be "C," either.

I do notice that if I overeat, I'm more likely to have an attack. I've also noticed that greasy or fried foods have a higher-than-other-foods likelihood of causing problems. Those are the only specific patterns I've been able to come up with.

I love some of the recipes I've seen on the forums and I plan to try them soon, however, I also suffer from a hypothyroid, and can't eat soy. Anybody know what can be substituted for soy products?

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Leslie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New here, feeling yucky new
      #111829 - 10/10/04 12:27 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you kept a very rigorous symtpom diary, you'd probabl;y find more links, but you need to note down so much (how are you feeling, how did you sleep, what was the weather like etc as well as food) that it's really hard. That's why Heather's diet is so good -she's identified the common IBS triggers for us! If you start by cutting out ALL the possible food and drink triggers it should help. And a SFS will help with all your symptoms.

Remember that so many things like stress can impact on IBS and also that you can have a cumulative effect with these and foods. This could explain why only sometimes do some foods trigger you - maybe it's the one day when you were more tired/stressed or ate too fast or ANYTHING!

Good luck. Let us know how you do with the diet.

#111838 - 10/10/04 01:16 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Many places that sell soy milk also sell rice milk and sometimes oat or almond milk. There are rice butters and cheeses too. You just have to read the ingredients list carefully. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Meg

#111840 - 10/10/04 01:22 PM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

Hello and welcome!
I'm pretty new here too (been following the diet for just over 2 months) and I've been feeling so much better. I'd highly recommend cutting out (as the diet recommends) fried foods, red meat, dairy, soda, caffiene... it's tough, but after a few days of doing this, I started feeling so much better & even now, when I have something that doesn't agree with me really well ( like lo-fat nilla wafers), I still don't feel THAT bad,compared to how I used to feel.
Good luck and hang in there... I feel confident that if you follow the diet, you will notice quite a change!!!

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

#111851 - 10/10/04 02:09 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Leslie and welcome! Boy do I know that run over by a truck feeling!! You're not alone!

To answer your question, yes, when my stomach is all riled up even a 100% safe food can double me over in pain! Fun, huh? Once your tummy settles down a bit, you'll have much better luck, don't worry.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#111855 - 10/10/04 02:15 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello and Welcome!!
Yep I find I can eat something 10 times then I can have attack. I have just realy stopped eating anything I think Might cause an atttack. Don't get me wrong took me along time to get there and I do still cheat But Iam so much better now than I was when I first started out.
Good Luck!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review