All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gastric bypass surgery
      #111591 - 10/08/04 07:29 PM
mrsdoodlepunk

Reged: 10/08/04

Hi, I'm new to the boards and have some questions. I've had gastric bypass surgery and have lost about 85 pounds. During my weight loss phase my IBS calmed down considerably. In the past 4 months though it has flared up again. The problem is that my weightloss guidelines and the IBS guidelines are in direct conflict. I'm supposed to eat protein first, then veggies, then complex carbs only. I'm also diabetic and should not eat refined carbs such as white rice or flour on an empty stomach. Has anyone else encountered my problem? I'm already doing the metamucil supplement. My primary symptom is diarrhea and gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gastric bypass surgery new
      #111696 - 10/09/04 11:59 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I don't have an answer for you on this, but I have a friend who's lost 125 lbs. since her surgery last winter. I'll forward your post on to her and let you know if she has some ideas. Congratulations on the weight loss !!!!!

Re: gastric bypass suggestion new
      #111707 - 10/09/04 01:16 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Got a note back from my pal and she says:

If it is regular food that is causing her problems (chicken, fish, etc.) then she should try the protein shakes to supplement her daily needs. Then she can concentrate on veggies, salads, etc.

Hope that helps! I can recommend the protein shakes, too, they've sure helped me a lot.

Re: gastric bypass surgery new
      #111709 - 10/09/04 01:25 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, and welcome! Sorry to hear you're having problems reconciling the two diets. Was it your doctor who gave you the weight loss guidelines? Perhaps he or she could refer you to a nutrionist who could help. But really, Heather's diet works really well for weight loss too (as long as you stay away from her yummy desserts!) because of the emphasis on low fat and lots of fiber. We also have a number of diabetics on the board who have adapted their diet successfully. There is no requirement to eat refined carbs on an empty stomach. Taking the Metamucil before eating provides a good cushion.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with more ideas. Keep coming back, okay?! We're glad you found us.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: gastric bypass suggestion new
      #111945 - 10/10/04 08:36 PM
mrsdoodlepunk

Reged: 10/08/04

Thanks for your response. I guess my problem is that with my little stomach I must make sure I eat my protein first or else I can't eat enough of it for my nutritional needs. I am trying the SFS prior to eating to see if that helps. For some reason I got the impression that foods high in soluble fiber had to be eaten first but if I can just take the supplement I think I can do that. I don't think the protein is bothering me as for the first 6 months after my surgery that's basically all I ate and I had no problems. I'm going to increase my fiber and take it before meals. I think that is helping already.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review