Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone hungry?
      #11152 - 06/09/03 12:04 PM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Hi,
Has anyone else found that they are really hungry during the day? I used to eat a lot of vegetables when I was hungry because they don't have a lot of calories. Now that I realize that too many raw veggies were the cause of some of my digestive problems, I've cut back on the veggies. Because I can tolerate pretzels, rice cakes, bread, etc., I find I'm eating those types of food between meals. Not only am I beginning to gain some weight, but I think they make me hungrier because they're "empty carbohydrates." I've also greatly increased the amount that I'm working out, and that may be contributing to my hunger as well...

Heather is exactly right when she says that it feels so good to eat "safe foods" without worrying about triggering an attack, that I find myself wanting the safe foods but then it seems I'm hungry ALL the time!

Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, any suggestions??

Thanks,
Barb

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone hungry? new
      #11157 - 06/09/03 12:36 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I'm hungry a lot during the day and I snack on crackers alot during the day. I'ved gained ALOT of weight in the past 6 - 9 months. I now weigh more than I ever have in my life and I've had a hard time losing it. I have no suggestions though on what to do stop the hunger. I will be anxious to read some suggestions.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Anyone hungry? Yep new
      #11215 - 06/10/03 12:02 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

You bet, I eat all day long. But, what the body is most interested in is CALORIES plain and simple. It doesn't care where they come from it just wants so many for energy and building and repair, and anything more will merely turn into excess pounds. So the simple solution is to count them. If you have cut out fats, and it sounds like you have then be carefull about the amount of high protein you are consuming daily. Even chicken and fish can be a high calorie food, and well, I don't have to tell you about the empty calories sugar has in it. Compare safe foods. For example I bought plain old rice cakes in the grocery store. Calories? 35 per cake. In the health food store it was 80 calories per cake. A baked potato with nothing on it, if SMALL is only 90 calories, but a big one can be double or more that amount. Breads are another story in and of themselves. Compare, compare, compare. I've found eating the safe foods more frequently, and just forgeting about the word "meals" has helped me keep the weight off I needed to get off in the first place (but by the hard and very unfortunate way---getting IBS). I say I have 8 meals a day...yikes, that's eating nearly every hour, but if I add it all up it keeps me in my own safe calorie range for not gaining weight.

--------------------

#11223 - 06/10/03 06:11 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I don't know if this will work for you - but try drinking a large glass of water when you're hungry. Wait 20 minutes and see if you're still hungry. Often our body sends out the hungry warning when we're really just dehydrated. Just something to think about.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11226 - 06/10/03 06:40 AM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi,
yes I'm been hungry a lot lately, was contributing it to increasing my fiber in take changing my spasmatic stomach to a more relaxed one with more room for food!
Also Menopause and change in metabloism. Found info in the
Vegetarian Times/January 2000
Appetite Control:
Peppermint Tea - Cravings Suppressor
Lemon Balm Tea - cravings Suppressor
Gingerroot - Metabolic Stimulant
(simmer 1 oz.grated fresh ginger into 1 pint water and simmer for 10 minutes 1-2 cups per day.)

I drink Mint tea and it does seem to help the other 2 I haven't tried. Let me know if they do help.
Paintlady

Re: Anyone hungry--suggestions? new
      #11228 - 06/10/03 07:24 AM
BarbBT

Hi,
Thanks for all the good suggestions! I will be more cognizant of calories, and will try the lemon balm and gingeroot teas. (I already drink water and peppermint tea all day long, so I'll try the other teas per your suggestion.)

I'm desperate for suggestions/ideas, so thanks! Any others?

Barb

#11232 - 06/10/03 08:02 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I always have "snacks" on hand at work and at home to ward off hunger pains. Either saltines, nilla wafers, graham crackers....anything I know my system will handle so that I don't feel hungry. I don't over do it...just enough to take the hunger away. I drink lots of water. Also, yogurt helps. I have yogurt and french bread toast for breakfast.

Re: Anyone hungry--suggestions? new
      #11252 - 06/10/03 10:05 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

AND if you need to have that sweet taste now and then in your teas, and who doesn't, you may try stevia. It's a bit hard to get used to since it has a slightly different taste but no calories and it is not a harmful man-made artificial sweetner. (I've not had a problem with it myself.) If you are experimenting with herbal teas, I personally LOVE chilled hibiscus tea. It's bright red and has a lovely taste. A nice substitute for things like colas, and lemon aid. Now that's assuming you can do a little chilled drinks now and then, now that summer is here in the states, without it cramping you up. Herbal teas can be so much fun since there is such a wide variety. Just be familiar with what different herbs will do, since some just don't set well with IBS. Good luck....Kandee

--------------------

Re: Anyone hungry--Stevia new
      #11385 - 06/11/03 10:11 AM
BarbBT

Hi,
I'm familiar with Stevia and use it all the time. However, I found out the hard way that the packets of Stevia with Fiber that they sell is a trigger for me. It took a while to figure out that just that little bit of fiber was what was causing the problem, but as soon as I switched to Stevia (without fiber), my IBS flare-ups were decreased.

I don't know if Stevia with Fiber will be a trigger for anyone else...but be cautious!

Barb

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 935 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1090

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review