All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Curious- What's your exercise of choice?
      #11126 - 06/09/03 06:43 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

I am curious as to what you all find works best for you, (walking, yoga, swimming, aerobics, etc.) and how you make time for it.

I have three children. My youngest stays home with me, she's three, and the other two will be home for the summer in four more days! I try to work a yoga/pilates tape in whenever I can but it's very difficult to find a time when things are calm and relaxing. My 3 year old likes to do the tapes with me, so that can be fun - until she gets bored and complains that she doesn't like this "yogurt" tape anymore (cute, but not relaxing!)

So, how do the rest of you make sure you get the exercise your belly and your mind need?

Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Curious- What's your exercise of choice? new
      #11127 - 06/09/03 06:46 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Well, with a 3yr old as well, I find it difficult to exercise too! BUT, I tape Denise Austin's Fit & Lite while I am getting ready for work. I do it in the evening..if you fast forward thru the commercials it is only like 20 mins! I also have a yoga DVD that I do when I can, but the Denise Austin has seemed to be the best for me. It is not a super hard workout, but I am doing SOMETHING everyday! It is on the Lifetime network from 7-7:30 am...

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#11130 - 06/09/03 06:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Try to think of things that you can to to include the kids. Is there a park nearby? Maybe you can walk them over, and stay very busy while playing with them. Take a soccer ball and kick it around with them.
At least it's something ....
Also, mowing the lawn and gardening are great ways to "exercise". Things like that count too!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#11133 - 06/09/03 07:24 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I too bought some "yogurt" tapes and did better with them in the winter time. Have not put them in the VCR for quite sometime now. But I do enjoy them. Now that the weather is nice I spend alot of time doing yard work, etc. outside. I also make time during my lunch break to take at least a 15 minute walk. I enjoy walking and getting outside.

#11141 - 06/09/03 09:31 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I use to excecise in the morinings, since my five year old was the only one home. The YMCA has a drop in daycare while you exercise. Now that my kids are home for the summer I'll be at the YMCA at 5:30am. I have a friend joining me so we can motive each other to get up that early.

#11180 - 06/09/03 04:46 PM
Teg

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I also walk for most of my exercise, I try to walk after every meal, even if it is just for 10 mins. I walk around the block on my lunch break. I also swim. What about a Moms and tots swimming class, they can be a lot of fun and are a lot more exercise than you think they would be.
Just a thought....

#11199 - 06/09/03 06:06 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I go to the Y, my kids love to go play in the gym while I work out (child care, obviously I don't just leave them!) While there, I'm kind of a lone exerciser, don't care much for classes, but I do the treadmill for aerobic then do weights. But if that is not an option for you, I also go walking in the evenings, just load up the stroller and off we go after dinner and dishes are done.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#11206 - 06/09/03 09:32 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I've gone to Jazzercise for the last 3 years and like it for the friendship and the dancing. Certainly NOT for the exercise since I've never been into exercise just for exercise sake, but I look at it as a fringe benifit. I think ALL the fanchises have child care and most of the gals I know that are students are in their 30's and early 40's. (I'm in my 50's+ but we have ones up to their 70's). BUT, once you make friends with the gals they are very supportive of all health set backs. Now I've just started yoga and that is ENTIRELY different, but I love it as well. I have absolutely no pains when I get out of a session and have even put a hault to some IBS pains by going into the "yoga breath" for a while. I suppose it depends on where you go for yoga whether or not they have child care so I would check first. Also a lot of private yoga studios can be pricey so if you can find them at a Y or thru Parks and Rec or other non-profit places they would be more reasonable. I think I'd look at what you enjoyed doing the most as a child or teen in the form of exercise, and go along those lines to help you pick, dependant on getting child care.

--------------------

#11208 - 06/09/03 10:37 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; I like to walk and/or do aerobics. I walk whenever the whether is good and do aeorbics at the gym 3-4 x/day but then I don't have any kids so I have lots of time on my HANDS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1112

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review