Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pain w/gas (long question)
      #111102 - 10/07/04 11:06 AM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Hi All,
I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do with my body this time. I'm having really bad pain and gas, and my belly is tender on the lower left side (all the time, no traveling pain). I do have diverticulosis over there, but I'm not running a fever, and I'm still able to get to work. I'm following the diet, taking maximum doses of fiber, and nothing seems to help. I'm about ready to go to the doctor, but that seems to lead to nothing but more tests and medicine that doesn't work and produces side-effects. Do you think probiotics would help? Any other ideas? I'm sorry for such a long question but do appreciate any replies.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pain w/gas (long question) new
      #111121 - 10/07/04 12:31 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Any change in symptoms NEEDS to be checked out by a doctor, I'm afraid. Better to be safe and bored than very sorry.

Maybe the SFS you're on isn't the best for you? What are you taking? Probiotics are always a good idea.

Re: Pain w/gas (long question) new
      #111123 - 10/07/04 12:35 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

How long have you been having the really bad pain and gas? Is that usually your main symptom? Are you D or C or A? Probiotics always help! How long have you been at the maximum dose of fiber? Did the really bad pain and gas start before or after you got to the maximum dose? Are you SURE you haven't cheated recently in ANY way???? Are you under more stress than usual? Are you getting less sleep than normal? Have you had a cold or any other health problem?

(Gee, that's a lot of questions, isn't it??!! Oh, well, just trying to help!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

LauraSue and Linz new
      #112351 - 10/12/04 12:08 PM
chigal

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

Thank you both for your replies. I was away from the PC for a few days, and thankfully symptoms are better. Let's see if I can answer your questions:

*I used to be primarily D, but I think now I am more A with lots of gas.
*After reviewing my diet, I think I have been a little lax in a few places -- probably due to the fact that I am less likely to have D right after having trigger foods.
*My stress levels have been chronically high -- for months now (I've been through two reorgs at work, plus issues at home)! I've had a few sleepless nights, but most of the time I get to bed early to get up as early as I do.
(I should have printed out your questions -- I'm starting to doubt my memory)
*I haven't been able to swallow powdered SFS (not even acacia -- which really did help! I'm hope the GERD will calm down eventually so I can try again. GERD and IBS leaves very little to eat that I actually like!), so I am back using Fibercon (the generic version). I'm taking 8 of them a day (max according to the bottle) and two calcium tabs. I'll check Heather's recommendations again, but out of curiousity, just what happens when one takes too much SFS?
*I need to do another search on the probiotics so I can get started ASAP.
*And, yes, I will call my doctor for an appointment (and maybe a day off -- I can use one right about now!).

All the best from Chigal -- Go Cardinals!
Linz, that's the baseball team from St. Louis that's in the playoffs :-)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3088 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 714

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review