All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products?
      #110947 - 10/06/04 07:47 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

I had a rather negative experience with that gross orange flavored Metamucil a few years ago and haven't really been wanting to risk taking any soluble fiber products. Some of them are expensive and I feel like like death on a cracker right now anyway. When is a good time to try them and are there any that are safe enough for a big old scaredy cat to take? I've read about Acacia, but I can't even drink peppermint tea, which I absolutely loved, without a bad reaction. Thanks, Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? new
      #110953 - 10/06/04 08:16 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Metamucil caused me a lot of gas and pain so I switched to Citrucel. I started slow and eventually worked up to a high enough dose that I have been pretty much symptom free for about 11 days. I don't think I would have gotten better without soluble fiber being part of the solution.

#110957 - 10/06/04 08:32 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

Hello,

Let me know if you try the Divinity Icing and how it turns out. To answer your question.....you really need to start a SFS, I feel it is the most instrumental thing that makes me almost normal. However, I don't take as much as I read about other people taking. I take a brand called Renew Life FiberSmart that also contains a bunch of other digestive enzymes and stuff. Each capsule is only 1g of fiber and I only take one before each meal. But I do make sure I eat alot of soluble fiber foods such as mangos and I always start the day off with oatmeal.

I was scared to start the fiber supplement also. In fact I bought the bottle and then just stared at it for like 2 weeks. But it makes such a difference for me, and I am IBS-D, and I rarely get sick anymore, just if I am under too much stress or eat something really crazy like a chickenfried steak (but I am from Texas and sometimes can't help it)

Where do you get Renew LIfe FiberSmart? new
      #110958 - 10/06/04 08:50 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

...and is it a soluble or insoluble fiber supplement?

#110963 - 10/06/04 09:20 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hey Neighbor,
So you can't pass up the chicken fried steak? Ever eaten at Montana's in Weatherford. I guarantee you that they would have to call the ambulance for both of us if we ate that huge platter they bring out. Oh, I almost made the Divinty Icing this afternoon, but DH has already eaten half of the angel food cake. ARGH! I definately will be making it soon.
I'm IBS-D, too, plus I have panic disorder, fibromyalgia, and sleep apnea and much much more. Lucky me! I have to be so careful with everything I eat or take because certain meds inevitably sets off one of the above. Thanks for the advice and I will check the shelves of Wal*Mart tomorrow and make some kind of decision. Thanks, Teresa

#110966 - 10/06/04 09:37 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Carrieokie,
Thanks for your response. My life revolves around IBS-D, panic disorder, major clinical depression, and fibromyalgia. I got a double dip out of the faulty gene pool. That's my main problem with trying anything new. I'm especially stubborn about trying new AD's because Paxil almost did me in and after that I was given Effexor. Ditto. Everytime, I go to the store and look in the pharmacy aisles, I'm always leary because I don't know what I can take that will be okay with the meds I take and my assortment of ailments. Most of the time, I just suffer through whatever I've come down with at the time. I'll buy some SFS tomorrow and then probably wait until I feel really confident before taking one. Thanks, Teresa

Re: I am not taking SFS, and I need to, desperately!! new
      #110974 - 10/06/04 10:33 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

HI Teresa, nice to meet you, I am from Tx too!

I am going to try the Citrucel, everything gives me gas, and I am soooooooooooo tired of it. I also take loads of meds, one more thing to swallow and I just might @#$#@@$$!!

Hope you start feeling better soon! gayla

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? ME! new
      #110995 - 10/07/04 01:22 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I tried psyllium and it was so gross I gave up. I kept meaning to get another but didn't manage it yet. I am stable without it though, and I think there are others who don't take one either and rely on the diet and prescription drugs to sort them out.
Sinead

--------------------
S.

Re:Teresa Lynn- not Weatherford Montana's, but Granbury new
      #110996 - 10/07/04 03:17 AM
angela3

Teresa,

I have had the chicken fried steak from the Granbury Montana's. But if I do cheat on the IBS diet, I only do it if I take the food home, and have nothing important to do the next day. In fact, i stay most religiously on the IBS diet all week long except on Fridays or saturdays, I allow myself to cheat for one meal. Sometimes I get sick, most of the time I don't. When I am out with other people or eating in public I usually get grilled chicken and a baked potatoe.

If you live near Granbury, I get my fiber supplement at the Better Health Market near Kroger's, they also sell organic chicken and alot of other stuff that is okay for us.

Re: Where do you get Renew LIfe FiberSmart? new
      #110997 - 10/07/04 03:24 AM
angela3

I get it at a local health food store called the Better Health Market. I am not sure if that is a private owned business or a chain store? I think it is mostly soluble fiber, it doesn't say on the bottle. It works well for me.......it might not be just because of the fiber it also contains other stuff such as fennel, l-glutamine, acidophilus, and alot of other stuff I don't have time to list.

The reason I went with this one instead of Heather's acacia, is because I wanted to start a fiber supplement on the first day I read her book, so I drove right over and bought it......and stared at it for 2 weeks because I was scared, and once I started taking it, it worked so well I didn't want to try anything else.

One time they even ran out and I paniced and the ladies at the store, special ordered it for me.

#110999 - 10/07/04 03:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I didn't for a long time- metamucil and citrucel both caused me major problems.. but my GI pushed the issue and benefiber works.. but I did feel gassy the first week or 2 and chewed generic gas-x like no tomorrow... now I'm fine with it except I'm switching to acacia and did too much at once yesterday- so I need to cut back this AM and should be ok from here on in.. one reason I'm switching- acacia will stay liquid in a bottle for hours so I can put it in my water bottle and take it with me.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#111009 - 10/07/04 04:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yes and no. I *was* taking 8g/day of Fiber Choice, and I found it really was very helpful. However, I fell off the wagon about a month ago, when I started an antidepressant, and I haven't really gotten back on since. I take it when I remember to, but that's not very often. I found that the antidepressant I'm on made such a HUGE difference in my IBS that I don't exactly need the SFS anymore - at least not in the dose I used to. (A smaller dose makes a difference now, if I happen to swing to the C side of things.)

I've heard that Benefiber is pretty good. If you found Metamucil gross, I'd probably skip Citrucel - I had a lot of problems with Citrucel, though, so maybe my opinion is a little biased. I really like the Fiber Choice, but inulin (the fiber in it) can be a little hard for some people to digest (I've had no problems with it). I've heard good things about the acacia too.

The benefit to the Benefiber and Fiber Choice is that you can usually find trial-sizes of them, so you can try them and avoid the expense if they turn out to not be for you. You'll probably have to talk to a pharmacist or doctor and see if they have samples of Benefiber - a pharmacist gave me a couple, so if you can't find them, I'll gladly send you mine. You can email me - my address is in my profile. A trial-size tube of Fiber Choice chewables should be pretty easy to find; I've seen them at Wal-Mart.

Oh yeah, one more thing - be careful with chewables. Some of them contain artificial sweeteners, which are a no-no!

Good luck!

Re: Anyone NOT Taking Soluble Fiber Products? ME! new
      #111012 - 10/07/04 04:49 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I took different ones (Citrucel the longest) for almost a year, and then was suffering from such severe bloating that I quit them cold turkey! I have been better ever since.

It's nice to not feel like I'm 9 months pregnant. My stomach is actually flat somedays. I had forgotten what that was like.

For me, it's better to just eat sensibly. My body just doesn't tolerate the SF. But everyone is different.

#111054 - 10/07/04 08:13 AM
Teresa Lynn

Thanks to everyone who answered my posts. All of your answers were very helpful. Just as soon as my DH applies my natural hair color, Loreal Lightest Ash Blonde, and my hair dries, we are off to Walmart for the big SFS safari. I will let you know if I was able to overcome my fear of fiber and what I got. You're all the greatest! Purrs, Teresa

Hello Teresa Lynn new
      #111065 - 10/07/04 08:55 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Welcome to the boards, I have been here for sometime I just not on the boards as often as I like. I take Heather's Acacia and I am IBS-D. I started in early spring and am now finally at the 2Tbsp. My advice whichever SFS you decide to take start with a small amount and work yourself up gradually. I think I read on here that you can get acacia at a health food store. I just order it from Heather, it is easier for me. It has really helped me keep things stable. I see you have panic disorder, are you taking meds for it and do they work for you? I have panic attacks which usually lead to a bout of D. In fact I am going into Phila. at the end of the month with friends and I am already dreading it! I keep thinking what if I get sick?

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Hello Teresa Lynn new
      #111080 - 10/07/04 09:39 AM
Teresa Lynn

Hello Heather Robin,
Yes, I do take a benzodiazepine for my panic disorder. I refused to take it and my doctor had a difficult time convincing me that it would be in my best interest. That was 10 years ago and I am still on the same dose. My family says it's made all the difference in the world as far as they can tell. I've had IBS-D and panic disorder since I was 7 so it's been a lifelong problem for me. Traveling drives me wild, so I can certainly understand what you are feeling. You know what made the biggest difference for me? I found a "safe" person with whom I could share my panic problems with. Now, I just announce that I'm having one and go on with whatever I'm doing. With the meds, they are less intense and go away very quickly if I do have one. I've always wondered if I have IBS-D because of the PD or is it a seperate issue. You are free to e-mail me if you'd like and I'll answer anything you want to know about PD. Thanks for your input on the fiber. Teresa

Hi Teresa, new
      #111094 - 10/07/04 10:35 AM
barbie

Loc: Texas

I get panic attacks, too. I have been on Librax for several years. I take it before meals and it relaxes me and relaxes my tummy, too. I was taking 3 a day and then 2 a day. Now I try to take only 1 a day but on stressful days I go back to 2. I think it has really helped me.

Usually after my panic attack I get very nauseated. Sometimes get "D", too. Fortunately, my attacks have become less severe lately.

I don't take fiber, either. My IBS is mild and I don't have a lot of the severe pain that others describe. SFS's don't agree with me. As long as I watch my triggers and that helps, I'm going to stay away from them. A lot of people have been helped by SFS's, though. So, you need to do further research before you decide.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Hi Teresa, new
      #111111 - 10/07/04 12:07 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Barbie,
You're lucky that you can take them on an as needed basis. Wish I could, but my doctor made a schedule out for me to follow and I'll be taking them the rest of my life. My grandmother had PA until the day she died at 97. She took Librax too. I tried it, but it didn't work for me. My health problems are so complicated that I have trouble sorting out what is causing what. Thanks for the heads up on the SFS because I always have to take my other meds into consideration before taking something as simple as OTC drugs. Nausea is usually the sign that I'm getting ready to have a panic attack so I know what you mean. What I really hate are the ones that wake me up out of a sound sleep. I am so much better, but I'm still not where I want to be. I've had to accept my limitations, but that only happened four years ago. Good to hear from you. Teresa

Nope. They're a life saver for me & Acacia isn't at all gross -nt new
      #111117 - 10/07/04 12:26 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#111125 - 10/07/04 12:35 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Teresa, welcome to the Boards.

Some people are fortunate to not have to take SFSs, then there are people like me who really need an SFS. I take Citrucel, six caplets a day (3 grams) of fiber. I also eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday (3 grams) of fiber and incorporate soluble and insoluble foods into my meals.

I take a med called Calan which causes C. I will probably be on them for a while longer. I am trying to incorporate more protein, soy, rice dream and those sorts of things into my meals.

Citrucel has not been a problem for me lately, when I first started, I was gassy and had C almost everyday. But as I increased the dosage, I began to get some relief.

I cannot take Acacia, something in it invades my allergen system.

Good luck on finding one that works for you.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#111135 - 10/07/04 12:46 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Lene,
I keep checking my e-mail before running out the door to Wal*Mart. Am already eating the oatmeal in the mornings. My DH used to take Calan and it is very constipating. Glad you mentioned the Acacia because I'm very skittish about taking herbs and things like that. I know a man who was taking AD's and decided to add a little St. John's Wort to the mix. He woke up three days later from the little coma he'd put himself into. I felt really bad for him cause that's the kind of trouble I'd end up in should I do something similar. I have IBS-D and that was why I was initially wondering if I really needed anything at all. I read Heather's books and understand what she means about taking it regardless, but I need to check things out further with triggers. I am now suspicious of the safe fruits I've been eating. My food journal will eventually tell me what I need to know. Thanks, Teresa

#111136 - 10/07/04 12:47 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Teresa, I STRONGLY recommend trying one. From what I've read, Benefiber or Heather's Acacia are the least goopy or gross! While some people don't need them or had problems with them, they have helped many more people than not. So chances are very good that they will help you.

As far as interactions with other meds, taking from me, the walking drugstore! It's not a problem. Heather says to think of SFS's as food not medicine. So they shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!! And good for you!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Nope. They're a life saver for me & Acacia isn't at all gross -nt new
      #111139 - 10/07/04 12:52 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Linz,
"Nope. They're a life saver for me & Acacia isn't at all gross." I guess everybody just have different systems and several of us have extra added problems to add to the mix. You always answer my posts and I appreciate it. I'm really gonna go look and see what I find as soon as I send this. Thanks, Teresa

Choosing The SFS new
      #111190 - 10/07/04 02:57 PM
Teresa Lynn

Well, I checked out everything they had in the place including Immodium-D. My vote goes to Benefiber, but I want to watch my food journal for another couple of weeks and see if I can spot the problem before I invest in any as it is expensive. DH was not happy to be on the safari at all which is so very helpful.

Thanks All,

Teresa

Re: Have you tried capsules? new
      #111234 - 10/07/04 04:58 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I take capsules right now because I can't face the goopy drinks either. I take 4 before lunch and 4 before dinner. I buy the psyllium capsules at the healthfood store and have no problem with bloating or anything.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#111235 - 10/07/04 04:59 PM
amo616

From what I have read there is a STRONG link between anxiety disorders and IBS. I think that's why so many people on these boards find that antidepressants help them.

--------------------

#111257 - 10/07/04 05:39 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Abby,
Psyllium makes me extremely nauseous. I keep seeing you on the boards, but haven't had a chance to talk to you. Yeah, I think the same thing. IBS is an extra little gift basket that comes with the anxiety. I wasn't helped by any of the newer SSRI's, but I do take Sinequan which helped me a lot initially and still controls my depression that set in at age 15. All my relatives are on AD's so what can I say? Good to finally meet you. Teresa

anti goop here too... new
      #111302 - 10/08/04 04:11 AM
khyricat

both benefiber and acacia disolve fine in thicker foods- sauces, dips, dairy free puddings/ice creams, v-8 and applesauce are a few examples... I stirred it into the refried beans I had in my enchiladas yesterday for lunch.. I've stirred it into hummus... all kinds of treats... works great and yummy too..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: anti goop here too... new
      #111337 - 10/08/04 08:35 AM
Teresa Lynn

Khyricat,
What good ideas. I hadn't thought about hiding it in foods, but I shall give that a whirl. Thanks, Teresa

Re: Choosing The SFS new
      #111513 - 10/08/04 04:20 PM
khyricat

awww.. Benefiber is expensive- but it worked, and thats why I switched to acacia- much less expensive in the long run and seems to be working just fine!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

I am thinking the same thing new
      #111593 - 10/08/04 07:46 PM
heather robin

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

is my ibs mostly related to PD? Or is my PD because of IBS? I wish there was an answer and a magic pill! Thanks for the info on a safe person, I will have to try it. Any ideas or hints are helpful!

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: I am thinking the same thing new
      #111628 - 10/08/04 10:15 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi heather robin,
I hope you're feeling better. I'll be glad to help you anyway I can. There is a magic pill, but you might be like me and refuse to take anything for it for years. Finding the right meds was the best thing that ever happened to me.
I can at least deal with it now. I do think IBS is connected to the PD. When I was seven, I remember being out of school for a week because of D and then it would happen off and on until I was an adult. Now, it looks like I might get to gain control of it. Teresa

#111635 - 10/09/04 03:48 AM
Daisymc

Reged: 04/10/04
Loc: Alexandria, VA

Laura,
I was hospitalized with food poisoning in Jul & had a real bout of C afterwards. I was up and down taking the Acacia & Peppermint Caps. At this point I take Equalactin when needed. I use Heather's diet as a guideline. I do know definite foods to stay away from (red meat, really cheesy things, yogurt). I tend to feel like a fraud, I have a mild case of IBS compared to what I read about here on the boards, but of course I am thankful.

--------------------
Daisy
"Sometimes you are the Windshield, sometimes you are the bug".

#111690 - 10/09/04 11:34 AM
amo616

Nice to meet you too!

I take Effexor for anxiety and depression. I don't like SSRIs because I think they mess with sleep cycles.

--------------------

#111700 - 10/09/04 12:14 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Abby,
Yep, they send me right over the moon and are way too stimulating for me. Did you try Effexor when it first came out? Wow, did they ever have a lot of problems with it. I took one pill and thought I'd dropped down into the rabbit hole with Alice. The new formulation is supposed to be great, but I have marked all of the new SSRI's off of my list of meds to try. Thanks, Teresa

#111751 - 10/09/04 05:34 PM
amo616

What happened to me is I was on Paxil for 4 years and it stopped working. My sleep was terrible. I tried Zoloft, no better, then Serzone, which has since been declared dangerous and taken off the market, and then Effexor. This was in 2001. It has literally been a lifesaver for me.

I am also prone to seasonal affective disorder so I have a lightbox on my desk and turn it on for 45 minutes every morning in the winter, which is looooong here in Ontario.

--------------------

#111770 - 10/09/04 07:44 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

You must take a Fiber supplement to keep things stable but you must increase it slowly, not matter what kind you take. If you increase it quickly, you will have gas or D so make sure to gradually work up to a good amount. If you don't get enough you can have frequent BM's also. You need to keep increasing it until you have one BM a day, sometimes two. Then you are on the right amount for you. My right amount is 9 fibercon a day. Love ya all!

#111772 - 10/09/04 08:35 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Abby,
I'm glad you found something to replace the Paxil. They have warnings out on several of the new SSRI's at this time. I can't remember if Effexor was on the list or not. It doesn't matter though because it is helping you and that's the important thing. My mother informed me that I would get no Vitamin D benefits unless I went outside every day for at least 15 minutes and I have considered getting a light box myself because this is turning into a drizzly, drab Fall here. Thanks, Teresa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6164 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18068

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review