Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating on the IBS Diet as a Vegan
      #110452 - 10/04/04 07:25 PM
Sheryl

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: PA

Hi,

I'm new to the forum here. I've just ordered Heather's book and I've read the site as thoroughly as I can. I would be interested to know how I can eat on this diet and still remain a Vegetarian/ Vegan and lose weight. I attempted to eat as a Raw Vegan and...as you can all imagine, my tummy wasn't at all happy with me. I ate fruit shakes for breakfast with almond milk, and I fared fine, but the salads, avocado, olives, dehyrdrated bread for lunches and dinners completely did me in. I then found myself binging on bread that I would get at restaurants...and lo and behold I find on this site that eating bread is just what the doctor ordered for my IBS/IBD condition. My concern is that if I overdo it with the white bread, that my Candida will come back. White Flour, fermented foods, sugar along with high fat cause Candida to flourish, doesn't it?

Everything I've read and studied also has shown me that red meat, chicken and fish are no longer safe for us to eat because of Mad Cow's disease, the tumors that are found on the chickens and that are filled with hormones and antibiotics....and now I've heard the fish...aren't safe to eat except for once a week or once a month...with the mercury, PCB and the ammonia that they swim in. So I can't...good people, in good faith go back to eating red meat, chicken and fish. I have been eating egg whites...but would love to eventually give up eggs as well. Cheese and milk..I have an allergy to - it's not the lactose that I react to but the whey and the Casiene that causes the cold like symptoms.

So if anyone out there is a Vegan or Vegetarian who also has IBS...please let me know what is safe to eat.

Thanks so much.

Gratefully and indebtably yours,

Sheryl

--------------------
To every problem, the answer is love.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Another vegan! new
      #110461 - 10/04/04 08:13 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Welcome to the boards! I'm also a vegan and need to gain weight.

Toffuti is fabulous for dessert. Miso soap and steamed rice are safe to eat. If you can tolerate soy products, Safeway of all places stocks Morning Star "Better 'n Burgers" and Amy's Tofu Lasagna which are good. Their are varieties of soy "turkey" lunch meat, and soy hot dogs. Soy protein powder (get it at Trader Joes or a health food store) is good in a smoothie with Rice Milk. Or mix it with Chocolate Almond milk for a yummy snack drink. For protein bars, I've found that Clif Bars make dairy-free varieties.

Keep us up-to-date on any other ideas you get!

Re: Eating on the IBS Diet as a Vegan new
      #110479 - 10/05/04 03:39 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Luna bars are completely ibs safe, and fine for you to eat.. add back in COOKED veggies slowly and try using an SFS in place fo some of the large quantitiy of white breads.. also rice products do the same thign as long as they are based on white rice- pastas, breads, etc... as well as rice itself, so you can mix it up and eat all kinds of things, and potatoes too.. don't know much about candida, but I do know SFS is basically nil on the caloric scale so that helps a ton with eating a lot of other stuff and still getting that soluble fiber without gaining the weight.

good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#110484 - 10/05/04 03:59 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there! I am also vegan and it can be done with IBS. In fact, I think it's a great idea. You've got some good suggestions (all the many soy products out there) and I just wantd to let you know that you're not the only one.

The weight issue is still a bit of a challenge for me though. I'll have to admit that. I have lost weight from cutting out dairy from my diet. I take a vegan protein supplement in my soy smoothies every day (with fibre added too). I also try to snack as much as possible. I met with a nutritionist and she told me to have as much fortified soy milk as possible per day to get enough calcium and b12.

Oh ya, I considered the whole raw food thing as it makes sense to eat living enzymes and all that but it's defintely not good for people with IBS. You can still have fresh carrot juice though which contains some of the same benefits.

Anyhow, welcome!

Lots of ideas for ya! new
      #110522 - 10/05/04 10:05 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

hey Sheryl, welcome to the boards!
I have recently adopted a vegan diet and have not had much of a problem adapting it to the IBS diet.
Right now, as I write this (I am on lunch), I am eating rice, and a stirfry of veggies and tempeh. If I am stable I can handle cooked veggies, as long as I am having lots of rice, bread, or pasta.
I also make the same stirfry outta tofu, I marinate and brown it in the oven first, so it is not the slimy stuff. ( I can get a more exact recipe ofr you if you want, I follow one on the Mori-Nu brand packaging)
I also eat Boca Vegan burgers occasionally, although they can make me acidy.
I have heard of, but not yet tried, of vegetarians blending silken tofu in pasta sauce to add an extra something to their dinner. I can only eat tomatoes in small doses, cause of acidity.
I also make lentils and eat them with rice, or in a pita, with veggies of course. I smush up the lentils with my fork before eating them, and have not had a problem. Some IBSers can get away with them if they are careful, some say they cannot. My advice would be to DEFINATELY make sure that you are stable, and that you eat alot more quantity of the rice than the lentils, especially at first.
Also, I make easy versions of hummus in my blended (mushed up garbanzo beans). I like to stuff that in a pita.
Breakfast, I alternate between dry cereal, like kix, with soymilk, bagels, and oatmeal. I always have fruit with breakfast. I also made french toast out of soymilk and banana last weekend, but it turned out a little mushy.
For recipes, check out fatfree.com (especially good for lentil ones) or vegweb.com (make sure they are IBS safe) or the IBS recipe index (just be sure to sub in vegan products for animal products.)
Also ,buy EnerG egg replacer, available at health food stores, to use in baking. (It is a powdery mix) I made muffins with them, and they were delicious!
If you can handle peanut butter (some people can in small doses), PB&J can be a quick lunch.
I also (after making sure that the sauce does not contain meat base) order out for pizza minus the cheese, adding broccoli. My first choice to go out to eat is at japanese restaraunts. Order white rice to go with your meal and eat it first. Then, for appetizers you could have steamed veggie gyoza (dumplings) or miso soup. For the entree, they usually have vegetarian sushi meals or rolls. Try a roll with advocado, they are delicous! The pickled ginger served with sushi is SOO delicous, too.
I am new to cooking and do not have much free time, so most of my suggestions are easy fast and quick ones, but if you have more time and patience on your hands and are better in the kitchen, there is a wealth of recipes out there! If you are not sure if something is safe, post it and we'll let you know.
i won't discuss B12, because someone else already posted about it, but remeber that it is impossible for your body to get it from nonanimal sources, so it is VERY important to take a supplement or have fortified soymilk everyday.
Sorry, you hit my latest weak spot, just let me know if you have any questions!
Good luck, it is such a great decision to go vegan.
In my case ( I am IBS-A - mostly D), it has helped my IBS by making my bms more complete... but I can't guarantee the same results for you, but good luck!

--------------------
-Sheri

#110553 - 10/05/04 12:40 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Sheryl, just wanted to say hi and welcome! I'm not a vegan, but as you can see we have several people who are! I do have a past history with Candida, but I've had absolutely no problem with it for the past several years as I've adopted the IBS diet. White flour is absolutely no problem, in fact it's one of my staples. I think as long as you mix it with other foods (including some whole grains), that it's a good thing, not a bad thing. Just my personal experience!

Welcome aboard!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#110564 - 10/05/04 01:20 PM
itgreyhound1

Reged: 07/27/04

Hi, welcome! I've been vegan for one year this month and on the IBS diet for about a year and a half. It's actually easier to be vegan on this diet than to eat meat, in my opinion.

My only caveats are that 1. I have gained weight on the IBS diet, I don't know if it's because of the white bread or what. Only about 5 lbs, but just the same and 2. it became harder to go out to eat since I couldn't have a salad in a restaurant.
Typical day:
Breakfast: Wheat chex w banana and Vitasoy light vanilla soymilk (I don't have as much trouble with whole wheat as some people do)
Lunch: Pasta primavera, easy on the veggies, soy parmesan and some white bread
Snack: saltine like crackers that are vegan with a little PB (another food I can tolerate in small doses)
Dinner: Tofu stirfry, heavy on the rice.

Good luck!

Meredith

To Sheri new
      #110568 - 10/05/04 01:32 PM
Sara-Sage

Wow, awesome response Sheri. I can take some lessons from your varied meals. It sounds like you're doing quite well adopting the new diet.

Let me know if you ever want to share any vegan recipes or the like!

Will do! new
      #110580 - 10/05/04 01:57 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I try and keep it varied because I find that I will get sick if I eat the same thing too many days in a row. like, I will find a breakfast that works well for me, so I want to eat it everyday. If I do that, I wind up with D or C.
I am expecting to spend the colder winter/fall months baking, so I will share any recipes that turn out well!
I found a couple of tofu-pumpkin pie ones that I want to try on vegweb.com.

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Will do!
      #110613 - 10/05/04 03:52 PM
Sara-Sage

That would be great! Thanks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3843

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review