Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber and body weight
      #11024 - 06/07/03 11:30 AM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

Sorry about another fiber question!

I've been diagnosed with IBS (with d, never constipation) and colitis. A few months ago, my new gastro (I've been through many) told me to start metamucil. I took the powder-1 drink a day for a few weeks and felt miserable. I was going to the bathroom 4-5x a day with extra gas and bloating. Obviously I stopped the fiber.
On June 1st, I decided to start the "Eating for IBS" diet. I bought Citrucel pills and started taking one a day. I thought I was doing the right thing by starting off slow. I'm 5 feet tall, and 105 lbs, and wondering if the recommended dose of 8 pills a day would be too much, simply because of my reaction to the powder. Should I just jack it up to eight a day, or introduce two, then four, and so on?

Thank you ALL for your patience and understanding.

Kristin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber and body weight new
      #11026 - 06/07/03 11:59 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Kristin,
metamucil isnt a very good fiber to start out with, as it is one of the rougher fibers on the digestive system. Im taking benenfiber, and find it to be quite tolerable on my sensitive stomach (Am also ibs-d) I would suggest going easy on the pills and see how your body reacts. If you try to up your dose, and you get a bad reaction, then you know your limit! I beleive everyone is different, so just take it slow and see how it goes.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#11027 - 06/07/03 12:19 PM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Metamuil will definitely give you gas and bloated. I also use Benefiber in the morning and before bed and i use fibercon tablets at lunch and dinner. I take 11 grams of fiber supps a day, but everyone is different. Remember, 2 citrucel pills are equal to 1 gram soluble fiber. I find the powder works better so I use them in the a.m. and before bed, and the pills at work. I think Benefiber is the best one I've tried (and I've tried them all, believe me...)

--------------------
Thank You

#11028 - 06/07/03 12:25 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

I know the recommended dose is about 25 grams a day, but how did you know 11grams worked best for you? Did you feel sick if you took more than that?

#11029 - 06/07/03 12:30 PM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

well, I started out lower and still had problems. So i kept increasing until I felt confortable and stable. I am also getting more soluble fiber through the foods I'm eating. I'm probably getting the reccomended dosage through both... This is how I do it. I take a tbsp benefiber in the morning (3 gm) 2 firbercon tabs at lunch, 2 at diner(1 grm each time) and 2 tbsp benefiber before bed (because mornings are my worst time) all totals 11 grams... this works for me, but again, everyone is different.. I tried more than this before and it sort of constipated me a bit, so I cut back to this..... Good Luck!!

--------------------
Thank You

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1016

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review