All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Young Children and IBS?? new
      #112688 - 10/13/04 11:13 AM
Cynthia Anne

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Henderson, Nevada, USA (Las Vegas)

Where would you go for that testing? I had allergy testing done by an allergist years ago for my migraines, and though he found nothing, he wanted me to submit to more tests and take an allergy med prescription (for what!?)
I had my oldest son to two other allergists for his migraines and eye problems (finally diagnosed only by a great opthamologist- after trying many- as allergic conjunctivits). The allergists were no help at all!
I have read books on food allergies (for myself) and found they suggest the process of elimination technique.
What do you think?
Thanks
Cynthia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: It can happen, and it's not that uncommon... new
      #112689 - 10/13/04 11:15 AM
Cynthia Anne

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Henderson, Nevada, USA (Las Vegas)

Thanks Heather.
I have sinced received your books and read your writings about children and IBS.
The apple juice has been discontinued and reaplecd by cranberry-peach (less tart style) and strawberry-kiwi. He is doing better and had a more solid poopie yesterday with only two times!
Thanks for responding and your books are great!
Cynthia

Re: Thanks new
      #113959 - 10/18/04 09:26 PM
mrsdoodlepunk

Reged: 10/08/04

Cynthia, I'm glad your little boy is feeling better. Sick kids are no fun and very sad. If I were you I would try weaning him off of juice completely. Lots of fruit juice of any type can not only cause diarrhea but is a factor in childhood obesity. Frankly, I think it should be used as a treat and not an everyday thing. My daughter only has juice once in awhile. I usually don't even buy it. She gets it at her soccer or softball games. But she wouldn't care if she never got it. She's just not used to having it around.

Re: Thanks new
      #344818 - 04/21/09 09:55 PM
Narns

Reged: 01/11/08

Hi Cynthia,
It could be worth trying a fructose malabsorption diet. I had diarrhoea every day for 12 years before I heard about this diet and the day I changed my diet my diarrhoea immediately vanished.

Here is a rough outline of the diet;
NO honey, pears, apples, nashi, quince, mango, watermelon, coconut cream, high fructose corn syrup (often used to sweeten soft drinks), fruit juice, dried fruit, onions, spring onions, leeks, green and yellow beans, asparagus, chicory, witlof and LIMIT wheat intake

That is a summary of the most common foods that need to be avoided.
Oranges and bananas are the best fruits for people with fructose malabsorption. I seem to also have trouble with grapes (maybe from the sorbitol)

I got my information via a dietition called Sue Shepherd. i don't know if she has information available online but it's worth a try.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

diarrhoea (see my last post really) new
      #344819 - 04/21/09 09:57 PM
Narns

Reged: 01/11/08

Hmm, just realised I could be 5 years late with my suggestions but I hope this helps someone because it sure helped me

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1089 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9211

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review