All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Whats your safest food??
      #110073 - 10/03/04 06:22 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was wondering if any of you had a food that you could eat a ton of and never get sick??? I can eat angel food cake all day long with no problems but I was wondering if there was anything else I could try. Im eating WAY too much angel food cake because its the only thing I can grab and feel totally safe with! Any ideas? I want to gain weight more than anything right now and Im dying for some new ideas! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Whats your safest food?? new
      #110075 - 10/03/04 06:28 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Baked Lays!!!! I love them and snack on them all day . RKT are great to!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#110078 - 10/03/04 06:33 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

chicken breast, turkey burgers never get me sick at all. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

bananas; and rice with cooked baby carrots- my comfort food-nt new
      #110087 - 10/03/04 06:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#110112 - 10/03/04 07:59 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

I'm good with the fat-free saltine crackers, but the fat-not-free ones kill me

Also plain white rice with a little salt is always good, unless I'm in the middle of an attack.

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#110113 - 10/03/04 07:59 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Pretzels! Soft pretzels and hard ones. I try to buy saltfree fat free ones when I can. pretzels are also high in calories, so I *try* to not eat as much, I am trying to find something different to keep me going during the day...
But if you are trying to gain weight, that can be a good thing! Same things go for bagels, supersafe for me, but high in cals.
do you like advocados? I know Sarasage said her doctor told her to eat them to try and gain weight (she's vegan) I heard that they can cause you probelms if you eat them too frequently though (even for non ibsers)
baked tostitos and guacomole- YUM!
If you can handle tomato sauce (i only can in small doses)
try bulking up on pastas.
Do you have heather's cookbook? maybe you could try baking her breads and cakes?
Good luck, sorry for the rambling!

--------------------
-Sheri

#110164 - 10/04/04 04:02 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there. I'm trying to gain weight too. I have been told by a nutritionist to eat more things that have good fats in them, such as advocados. If you eat meat, she suggested salmon.

I have been taking a protein powder that I mix in with my soy smoothie and fibre. It's 100% safe and should cause some weight gain.

I also try to have Tofu cutie "ice cream" treats and make that AD brownie recipe often (modified since I don't eat eggs).

The main thing the nutritionist told me is to increase my calories. I think she said I'd need an extra 500 A DAY to start gaining a 1lb or 2 a week. It's hard to do, obviously, as we can't eat pizza or junk food that's loaded with calories. I try to snack on Luna bars and other things that are a tad higher in calories. I also make sure that my drinks have calories in them and aren't just water. I now bring a large container of chocolate soy milk to work with me every day. (I actually spilled it all over my desk on Friday though! - Oops!).

Good luck!

It's a tie between chicken and potatoes... new
      #110180 - 10/04/04 05:34 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I usually brush chicken breasts with mustard, bread them, and bake them... and then I make oven fries with the potatoes... it's a tasty combination and it NEVER bothers me, no matter how much I stuff myself on it. I end up eating it almost every night because of that.

#110190 - 10/04/04 06:04 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Like you I can eat angel food cake for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and every snack inbetween . I can also eat past with a little vegan margarine, rice, and sourdough bread. If you're looking for a quick snack to eat on the run, lightly salted quaker rice cakes are also really safe.

Meg

#110225 - 10/04/04 09:15 AM
abby82

Thank you for all the suggestions! I do have Heathers cook book and I make a lot of her recipes - I do ok with most of them but I cant eat a ton of them like I can angel food cake. I havent tried eating avocados but I want to. I also want to try oven fries cause I love fries! Pretzels sound yummy too - I never thought of eating the soft ones - are they usually IBS safe? Well thanks again for all your advice I appreciate it sooo much!

#110275 - 10/04/04 11:20 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Any kind of rice, Rice Chex, Baked Lays, pretzels, bananas, any type of soy, soy yogurt, oatmeal, grilled chicken breast, turkey burgers, shrimp, any type of seafood and baked potatoes.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#110316 - 10/04/04 01:25 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Anything on "what to eat when you can't eat anything", particulary boiled rice, french bread,pretzels and bananas.

Also carrots, gingersnaps, and caramel snack a jacks.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#110342 - 10/04/04 02:26 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

White rice, plain bagels, Rice Chex

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: It's a tie between chicken and potatoes... new
      #110369 - 10/04/04 03:52 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I love roasted chicken (in a kabob style) with rice. I can eat it all day!

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#110459 - 10/04/04 07:56 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

My absolute comfort food is miso soup and steamed rice from a Japanese restaurant. Also mashed potatoes (with rice milk), sweet french bread, bread sticks, Teddy Grahams, bananas, no-fat chicken broth (without MSG!), and apple/cinnamon instant oatmeal from the health food store (no added sugar). Oh, and Puffins cereal, and Clif Bars (from Trader Joes they're only 99 cents).

#110629 - 10/05/04 05:10 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! Good post!!

I can eat french bread pretty much all the time. Prob is, the baguettes I buy are really only good for one day, so i ahve to get them fresh. Not especially convienent when i'm in the throws of an attack.

Also, saltines and lox and nova. I've eaten french bread and nova for over a week before. Amazing what you can get used to!!!

All my best,

~nelly~

#110636 - 10/05/04 05:33 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I had to respond because I am also an Abby.

Here are my ideas:

toasted baguette bread with butter flavor canola oil spray
white rice
plain pasta
plain chicken breast on a nice white roll
lowfat graham crackers
baked potato, no skin
life cereal with soy milk

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Don't throw away day old baguette! new
      #110637 - 10/05/04 05:34 PM
amo616

toast it and spray with butter flavor canola oil spray

--------------------

#110639 - 10/05/04 05:38 PM
atomic rose

Or make french toast! Or bread pudding!!

#110827 - 10/06/04 01:36 PM
LauraSue

Abby! I wondered what your name was!! I hadn't seen it before.

Another idea for day old baguette for non-cooks is microwave it for 10 seconds! Tastes like oven fresh! Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and eat quick before it cools off.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#110833 - 10/06/04 01:59 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

or toast it and sprinkle cinamon and sugar over it before broiling breifly (cinamon toast)

or toast and put lox on it, or any other fish, or safe to eat toping.. also good toasted with roasted garlic on top

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#110838 - 10/06/04 02:09 PM
abby82

Actually my name is Stacey - I used the name Abby because its my dogs name =)

#110918 - 10/06/04 05:11 PM
amo616

I was actually surprised your name is Abby. I think I am the only woman in North America over the age of 5 named Abby. On the other hand, someone told me that today it is the most popular name for girls.

AND I know quite a few people who have named their pets Abby!!!

--------------------

Re: Abby new
      #110937 - 10/06/04 06:09 PM
abby82

Ive always loved the name abby - I think if I would have had a little girl before I got a dog I would've named her the same thing!

Re: Abby new
      #110940 - 10/06/04 06:48 PM
amo616

That makes me feel so good. I always felt like a bit of a freak as a child because I grew up with a lot of Marys, Sues, and Cathys.

--------------------

#110984 - 10/06/04 11:09 PM
jasperlovel

abby try turkey burgers. they are good to eat. also the angel food cake you metioned. is bought from the store or do you make it from home? jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: It's a tie between chicken and potatoes... new
      #110988 - 10/06/04 11:17 PM
jasperlovel

hi atomic rose. you metioned about oven fries. how do you make these in the oven. jasper

--------------------

Oven fries for Jasper! new
      #111008 - 10/07/04 04:32 AM
atomic rose

Hi Jasper! This is what I do for oven fries...

1. Preheat the oven to 400. Spray a cookie sheet or baking pan with cooking spray.

2. Peel your desired number of potatoes. Cut them in half lengthwise, and then cut into wedges/slices. I usually do 2 potatoes per person (love my taters!), and find that each potato makes 6-8 wedges, depending on the size of it.

3. Lay them on the cookie sheet, spray them with cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt.

4. Bake at 400 for 45 minutes to an hour, turning once after 30 minutes. I like mine pretty crisp and brown on the outside and meltingly soft on the inside, so I do them almost an hour.

You could also broil them instead, which takes less time - about 15-20 minutes - but you have to turn them every 5 minutes so they don't burn, and I can't be bothered to stand there in the kitchen and wait.

Hope that helps!

#111061 - 10/07/04 08:32 AM
Nelly

LOL!

I buy the half baguettes, so there are no leftovers!!!!

You guys have great suggestions for leftover bread!! But I can't have any of those, sorry. No milk, no cinnamon, no soymilk, and I cant bite into toast. I'd have to mash it up into little crumbs and spoon it. I have a mouth condition where bone deposits grow into my gums, so I have to eat in little bites. And no biting into anything like fruit, celery or sandwiches. I eat sandwiches very elegantly, with a knife and fork. With bread, I tear off a soft piece and pop it in my mouth.

As my bf says, "For somebody who looks so healthy, you sure do have a lot of thinks wrong with you!" Eh. Oh well.

~nelly~

Re: Jasper new
      #111064 - 10/07/04 08:44 AM
abby82

I buy the Pillsbury box mix angel food cake - its the only one that doesnt have dairy that I have found. Duncan Heines makes one too but for some reason all the stores I go to quit carrying it. I made a homemade one once but it had too much of an egg taste for me =)
-Stacey

Heh... new
      #111066 - 10/07/04 09:02 AM
atomic rose

Don't feel bad... on top of all my other problems, I have some kind of genetic deficiency that's causing my teeth to basically disintegrate. Nothing's helped it; my mom's teeth are the same way. I know I'll have dentures by the time I'm 35-40. I already have basically no teeth in my bottom left and upper right jaws, I've had to have them all pulled.

Can you have rice milk? Almond milk? I'm just curious... I have an old-time Victorian recipe for something called "milk toast" - it's almost like a fast bread pudding, very soft. Not that you ever have leftover baguette anyway, but just in case you ever do! LOL

Re: Heh... new
      #111067 - 10/07/04 09:05 AM
Nelly

I tried rice dream but I couldn't tolerate it. It was too sweet for me. I've never heard of almond milk!

~nelly~

#111108 - 10/07/04 11:55 AM
atomic rose

Pacific Foods makes almond milk and also oat milk. It's not even all that difficult to make your own - rice milk is especially easy, if I remember correctly, and then you could definitely have it not-so-sweet! There are recipes in the recipe index, in case you ever get a craving for something milk-like. Rice Dream *is* pretty sweet. I couldn't tolerate it either until very recently.

Casey- teeth new
      #111129 - 10/07/04 12:37 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My Dad had a similar problem and had to have ALL his teeth removed at 25. I have beaten him on that score anyway so maybe you will beat it too!

My friend's sister never got adult teeth, she just has milkteeth and had to have false teeth from the age of 10! She's about 26 now and just had an operation to get some bone from her hip to rebuild her jaw and get permanent false teeth, yuck!

See, feel better now Casey? BeckyT/Rachel would be a good person to discuss this with since she is a pro at teeth!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

#111138 - 10/07/04 12:51 PM
LauraSue

Milk toast was alive and well when I was a kid! Are you saying I'm some kind of Victorian dinosaur!!! Hmmph!!

When we were sick, my mom would make it for us. One slice of buttered toast in a bowl, heat milk in a saucepan and pour it over, sugar to taste!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#111194 - 10/07/04 03:06 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

i absolutely LOVE heather's peppermint fudge cake, although i omit the peppermint... it never comes back to haunt me, has NO eggs, and i *think* i'm starting to put a little weight on...since i eat at least 2 pieces a day!

btw - great thread

kk

#111229 - 10/07/04 04:46 PM
Nelly

LS! I had N E V E R heard of milktoast. It sounds very English, doesn't it a little?

P.S. I don't think you're a Victorian dino!! Although I suspect maybe you may have a leather corset or two in your closet... Possibly a whip too. Maybe that's a different type of Victorian...

~certainly not nelly~

Re: Oven fries for Jasper! thanks atomic rose new
      #111290 - 10/08/04 12:08 AM
jasperlovel

thanks atmoic rose for information on oven fries. jasper

--------------------

Re: Jasper thanks abby82 new
      #111291 - 10/08/04 12:11 AM
jasperlovel

thanks abby for the information on angel food cake.

--------------------

ROFL! new
      #111294 - 10/08/04 02:34 AM
atomic rose

Silly Laura! I would never say such a thing! I'm just saying that it's a Victorian recipe in origin. And it's tasty, for something so simple. I wish I'd discovered it long before my late 20s.

On a similar note... new
      #111295 - 10/08/04 02:36 AM
atomic rose

Heather's chocolate-applesauce bread. I made 2 loaves the other day, and I swear that a friend and I ate an entire loaf in one morning. Sooooo good. And like the cake, there's no eggs. And I have put on a couple pounds, finally (I needed to!), so I "blame" the bread!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1378 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review