All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Just started taking a probiotic???
      #108749 - 09/28/04 06:46 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I took my first Acidophilus probiotic-5 last night. Does anyone know what I can expect form them. I know the put the good things back in your gut, but what kind of relife can i expect? I also drank my first cup of fennel tea last night. OMG Gross. I pinched my nose and drank it. I feel ok today. Some minor cramping but the side pain is not as bad. I passed a ton of gas this morning I am wondering if that is what the side pain is trapped gas.? I am also not feeling so depressed today. Any info on the Probiotic would be wonderfull.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just started taking a probiotic??? new
      #108753 - 09/28/04 07:07 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

It helped my bloating drastically! Also, it made my bm's more solid (sorry for being so gross). It felt as if I lost two dress sizes! I was able to go to the bathroom more than I was before. I suffered from cronic C. It helped me a lot. I hear it helps D and C. I would space out the doses. Too much Acidophulis Probotics at once can cause loose stool. Good luck! You will feel a lot better in a few weeks.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#108761 - 09/28/04 07:41 AM
heather7476

Thanks I am feeling very hopefull about these. i am taking one before each meal. I hope to just keep feeling a little better everyday.

--------------------
Heather7476

#108762 - 09/28/04 07:46 AM
Sweetd

Can I ask you, how many are you taking and what brand?

--------------------

#108765 - 09/28/04 07:55 AM
heather7476

It is made by KAL. It Acidophils probotic-5. I am not a big breakfast kind of person so I will be takin two a day. Before lunch and dinner. I have only taken one so far. Last night before dinner. I better today. I still have pain but not nearly as bad. My D this morning wasn't as rough either. I am just coming off antibiotics that realy messed up my tummy so I am hoping this will help. I don't know if the probiotic is what is making me feel better or the fennel tea. I plan to drink that again tonight before bed to. I will just hold my nose again.

--------------------
Heather7476

#108766 - 09/28/04 07:58 AM
Sweetd

It is probably both the Probotics and the fennel tea. I hope you feel better! You should be on your way in no time.

--------------------

#108897 - 09/28/04 03:22 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

One way to make the fennel tea go down better is if you can handle honey put some in there. I do and it does make it taste a little better at least enough to get it down. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Michelle

#108903 - 09/28/04 03:48 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#108904 - 09/28/04 03:56 PM
LittleFox

I don't know what happened to the information in my other post, so here it is again.

I am IBS-A and suffer chronically (sometimes with C). The Acidophilus helped me to have bms more frequently. I take Acidophilus Plus, one in the morning along with my breakfast and one before I go to bed at night. You will find that it will help you feel better and empty out more waste.
I can't handle pure Fennel tea, so I take Yogi StomachEase Tea which contains Fennel, Peppermint and Ginger. It is wonderful! I also take Heather's Peppermint capsule 3 x per day after each meal.

Hope this helps.

Lene

--------------------

#109331 - 09/30/04 02:10 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I sooo need help with bloating. I used to take acidophulis for recurrent yeast infections & I don't recall it having any effect on my bloating. I was taking the cheapo kind you get at Walmart. Can I ask what brand helped you so much & how much your using?
Thanks

PB 8 Probotic Acidophilus new
      #109459 - 10/01/04 05:42 AM
Sweetd

I take two a day, one with breakfast and one with dinner.
I have been taking this brand for months now and it works great!

--------------------

Re: PB 8 Probotic Acidophilus new
      #109570 - 10/01/04 12:18 PM
Meryl36

thanks for the info. I'm so tired of being bloated all the time, I hope this stuff helps.
I'm going to go right after work to buy some.

Meryl36 new
      #109584 - 10/01/04 12:34 PM
Sweetd

I know what you mean. My family is concerned because they think I lost so much weight. I told them that it was mostly bloating and it really was.

Do you eat dairy? I noticed once I eliminated dairy my bloating when down even more. Also, now that I am up to 2 tablespoons of Acacia, the three put together made me look the way I am really supposed to look beneath all the bloat.

Like I said, I really did notice a big difference with the Probotics, but after I eliminated the dairy and started taking the SFS, I was 100% bloat free. I really look normal again and not pregnant.

--------------------

#109589 - 10/01/04 12:39 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Heather,

Good for you, that's cool that you started the probiotic. My experience with them has been fairly subtle. I don't notice dramatic changes when I take them, but one time I stopped because I wasn't sure they were doing anything. After a couple weeks I realized my tummy had been much more upset, no D, just more grumbly and gassy. So I started taking them again and my tummy settled down again.

So it may be more of a gradual improvement, but they definitely help!

(PS. I'm so impressed that you drank that fennel tea like a good girl. I hate liquorice flavor so you're better than I am on that! You go, girl!)

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Sweetd new
      #110324 - 10/04/04 01:40 PM
Meryl36

Thanks for all the info. I bought some proboitics this weekend. I couldn't find the brand you suggested so the guy at my HFS suggested Jarro-Dophilus + FOS. It's got acidophilus plus other proboitics. I'm taking 3 per day & yesterday I felt great. Today though, not so good. I took one in the morning & felt fine. Then, this after noon I took another one, had a BM then & had a turkey sandwich with mayo. Now, 1/2 hour later my stomach is doing flip flops! Grumbling & rumbling like I have to go again but I can't. Could this be from the pills or do you think the small amount of mayo I had on my sandwich (which also was on wheat bread) could be doing this? Dam, I was so hopeful about the pills. Now I'm gassy & bloated all over again. How long did it take before you felt any effects from the pills?
sorry to keep asking so many questions but I don't know who else to talk to about all this stuff.
thanks

Probiotic questions new
      #110331 - 10/04/04 02:02 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Hello... I have understood that probiotics begin to take effect after about 3 weeks. Has that been people's experience?
Also, what's the best time of day- morning? evening? with meal?

Re: Probiotic questions new
      #110333 - 10/04/04 02:05 PM
heather7476

I haven't heard about the three week thing that is encouraging I have only been taking ine for about a week I think!! So maybe things will get better!! I take one before luch and before dinner.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Probiotic questions- bump new
      #110681 - 10/05/04 08:45 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Wanted to bump this to maybe get more advice on probiotic intake. Specifically wondering about when you take them- I have heard some advising to take at night, others say to take with meals. Thoughts?

#110702 - 10/06/04 12:34 AM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Where can you get PB 8? From the pharmacy, the whole-foods store, or mail order?

Also, who makes it?

Thanks,
Salsagal

#110708 - 10/06/04 05:17 AM
Sweetd

You can get it at Health food stores or The Vitamin Shop. I beleive most vitamin stores carry it.

--------------------

#110709 - 10/06/04 05:19 AM
Sweetd

I take one in the morning with breakfast and one at lunch (or you can do one at dinner). But yes, they should be taken with meals.

--------------------

when to take probiotic new
      #110718 - 10/06/04 06:50 AM
a4men

Reged: 07/19/04

I have taken several brands. Some directions are take on empty stomach and some with meals. I take mine first thing in the AM on empty stomach with a full glass of water and same at PM. You can take up to 6 a day - just space them out throughout the day. I took too many at one time and felt it for a week -- so, I think the 3 week thing isn't necessarily true. btw, you might need to refrigerate to maintain freshness. Sorry this is so long!!

Meryl36 new
      #110721 - 10/06/04 07:04 AM
Sweetd

Hi Meryl,

It was most likely the mayo and/or the whole wheat bread. This are big triggers for most people. I never knew it was for me because I was used to eating them everyday. But, now that I am not eating them, I notice a huge diferance. Was the turkey, turkey breast? That makes a diferance too.
When are you taking the pills? They should be taken with meals.
I noticed that the pills were working after a week and a half. Just continue taking them, they will really help your bloating as well as, your gut. Good luck with the pils!

--------------------

Re: when to take probiotic new
      #110812 - 10/06/04 11:48 AM
LittleFox

I take Acidophilus Plus. When I first started taking it, I had bms all week (diarrhea-like).

I take one in the morning after breakfast and one in the evening with a snack before bed. It has and does really help me.

good luck

Lene

--------------------

#110968 - 10/06/04 09:46 PM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Interesting . . . a nutritionist told me to take probiotics on an empty stomach. So did an alternative MD.

--Salsagal

#111015 - 10/07/04 05:26 AM
Sweetd

That is strange. I have heard from numerous people and a nutrionist to take it with food. Well, it seems to be working for me. How about you?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1048 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review