All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sleep Aids?
      #108568 - 09/27/04 08:19 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi all, I am feeling great except for my insomnia that has gotten a bit worse from my AD. Does anyone here take a good sleep aid that doesn't leave them zombie-like the next morning? It can be an OTC med or presciption.

I have tried herbal teas, yoga, hot baths and more things but they don't help me fall asleep at all.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sleep Aids? new
      #108572 - 09/27/04 09:20 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I've been having trouble sleeping since I started on Prednisone for my Crohn's. I took some advice from Jill and am using Tylenol PM. I find that if I take one a couple of hours before I want to go to sleep I can usually get a good nights rest and don't feel too groggy in the am.

#108576 - 09/27/04 09:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks, I've heard that someone else on this board takes it.

Maybe I'll give it a try.

#108578 - 09/27/04 09:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've heard benadryl (otc allergy medication) works well. I take a Xanax to help me sleep sometimes but they can be addictive so you have to be careful!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#108598 - 09/27/04 10:53 AM
Sara-Sage

I tried a Benadryl on night and woke up at 2am all dizzy and feeling really spaced out. So, I won't be trying that again. I wonder if it didn't mix well with my AD?

#108603 - 09/27/04 10:59 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Benedryl definitely works but don't take it long, it can cause nerve damage if taken for years and years..I ought to know...ended up with RLS (restless leg syndrome) after taking it for the antihistamine affect for food allergies.

Try GABA. It's an amino acid that won't make you groggy in the morning or give you some odd dreams like melatonin does...5-HTP is another option, as is Valerian or any of the sleep herbal teas that contain Valerian. All of these are OTC.

Do a Google search on any of these for more info.

--------------------

Info on Tylenol PM new
      #108610 - 09/27/04 11:23 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I have heard that if you just need help for sleep without pain you shouldn't take the Tylenol PM. It's the same ingredient as benadryl but has tylenol in it, too. You should take the Tylenol Sleep that only contains the sleep ingredient (benadryl) and not tylenol. Taking too much tylenol is not good for the liver or kidneys. I take the Tylenol Sleep and only one tablet instead of two and it really helps me sleep.

Barbie

--------------------

#108614 - 09/27/04 11:52 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes, I do take a herbal sleep aid but to be honest, it doesn't work. I should try Valerian or this GABA thing.

Thanks.

#108633 - 09/27/04 12:57 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I second the caution against any kind of drug sleep aid. They're for short term use only! Aside from the side-effects like Kandee describes, they'll also tend to lose their effectiveness after you use them for awhile.
I'm also one of the approximately 20% of people for whom valerian and other herbs don't work. They call it a "paradoxical reaction".
I've had much better long term effectiveness with natural practices. Some things that I find helpful:
Cut off ALL caffeine and sugar after noon! I've found this to be quite effective, and the converse (eating sugar or anything with caffeine after noon) to be just as much of a guarantee of a bad night's sleep. Remember that caffeine includes chocolate too.
Try a little "tryptophan loading" before bed... eat a little turkey, banana, or other foods with tryptophan, a natural soporific.
Turn your digital clock toward the wall! I read this and didn't believe it, that we tend to program ourselves to wake up and look at the clock several times a night, and then become anxious when we see what time it is and see how much sleep we haven't gotten. But I tried it and it really does make a difference.
Try to get up and go to bed on the same schedule every day, regardless of whether it's a weekend or weeknight.
Don't take a nap during the day!
Tire yourself out with lots of honest work during the day (not a problem for most of us, I know ), and some physical activity as well.
Try a self- hypnosis program (if you haven't yet) or another kind of relaxation audio program. There are many good ones out there. Belleruth Naparstek's work is excellent.
This sounds really stupid, but counting sheep or a mind game like it is really effective. I play the "ABC game"... I pick a category like men's names, names of songs, names of countries, animals, etc, and go through the alphabet. The idea behind any of these games, of course, is to shut your mind off. But guess what? It works!
I've been a chronic insomniac since childhood, and although I will probably never be able to say "I'm cured", all of these little things help to increase the amount of quality sleep and decrease those "zombie days".
Hope they help you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1871

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review