All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does this make sense
      #108476 - 09/26/04 02:39 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am taking 100mg Zoloft. It has been two weeks at this dose. I have been taking it for a total of 5 weeks. I almost think I felt better when I was at 50mg. I don't understand it though. Why would uping the dose make me more depressed and have more tummy pains? How long do you think I should give this a try. I know none of you are doctors but would realy like to hear what your thoughts are. I am very confused. That stupid GI made it sound like once I was at 100mg I would be fine. I was realy hoping that was going to happen.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does this make sense new
      #108523 - 09/26/04 08:26 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Sorry you're feeling so crappy! That's awful!

AD's can be a lot like IBS - everyone has different experiences with them. If you feel like you're getting more depressed now, I would definately recommend talking to your doc about them, and seeing if you should stick to a lower dose. Maybe 100mg is just too much for you, and the 50mg is just what you need. Until you can talk to your doc, make careful observations of how you are feeling throughout the day (maybe put that in your food diary, if you have one), and keep a sharp eye on the depression!

Feel better soon, love, and take care of yourself!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#108528 - 09/26/04 09:10 PM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, Heather. AD's are strange things indeed. Often they can have nasty side effects, and if your dosage is too high, those side effects may be increasing. Sometimes, not feeling well, fatigued, headache, tummy pains, can be a depressing thing in itself, and that is why you may feel more depressed. Either way, if you felt better at the lower dosage, talk to your doctor about returning to it. Higher isn't always better! My doctor and I had to work a bit to get my AD regulated as well, but we have, and it works for me now. Good luck!

Alicia

#108531 - 09/26/04 09:35 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

Hi Heather,
I've tried several of the AD's and if the formula is off by even one molecule, it can cause problems. I take Sinequan which one of the older types of AD's. The newer ones, like Zoloft, seem to be more stimulating than the older drugs. The level builds up in your system which is why you may just now be feeling this way. If you feel like this after 5 weeks, I'd let the doc know you're having trouble. I think I read in one of Heather's books or somewhere else that our stomachs contain 90% of all the receptors for the AD's. There are a ton of new AD's coming out every year. I hope you find an answer soon and get to feeling better. Teresa

#108542 - 09/27/04 04:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I would definitely talk to the doctor about this, if I were you. Just from my limited experience with AD's, I'd say that either your dosage is off, or that zoloft is maybe not the right AD for you. Everyone's experience with these things is so different... but at any rate, more depression and more pain are NOT side effects that you want to mess with, and I'd go ahead and call the doctor about it.

Good luck & I hope you feel better soon, sweetie.

#108552 - 09/27/04 06:39 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Heather,

My suggestion would be go back to the lower dose if you felt better. But, check with the doc first. Maybe your system just needs more time to adjust. It just seems to defeat the purpose if you are feeling worse.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Thanks Everyone new
      #108557 - 09/27/04 07:26 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Thanks everyone. I will call my doctor tommrow and see what she says. She is not there on Mondays. I am so sick of this. I just wish I could find something that works. My daughter's one teacher has IBS and swears by the zoloft. She can eat what she wants except dairy and is fine. She only has an attack about 4 times a year. I want that so bad.
Thanks for your support.

--------------------
Heather7476

#108573 - 09/27/04 09:25 AM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I know that you have been having a rough time recently with being sick, the effects of antibiotics, and trying to get stabilized. I think that would make anyone feel depressed on AD's or not. Now that you are off the antibiotics and hopefully feeling better you will notice a change in how you feel. Hang in there!

#108623 - 09/27/04 12:18 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Heather, it's just too soon to judge, sweetie. Two weeks at this dose isn't long enough for it to kick in. Give it another week or two and I'm sure you'll start feeling better. Have faith! Or as a friend of mine says, "God, give me patience -- and HURRY UP!"

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review