All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
yesterday was Yom Kippur....
      #108423 - 09/26/04 04:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I knew enough not to fast... packed luna bars (which are safe for me) and a peanut butter sandwich cut in half (also safe). Before I left I took an SFS in V-8 just like I have every morning this week, and ate IBS safe buttermilk pancakes made with soy milk for breakfast.

Each break in services I ate something except the last one. I skipped the beginning of yizkor and ate both the rest of the sandwich and a luna bar before I went in so that was about 4:30 or so when I finished. Ne'ilah started at 6... it wasnt' over till a little after 8, about 7:30, my belly started acting up. I felt like I was starved when I got home too... ate more then I planned on of the break-fast.. which probably didn't help matters...

anyway- I know I had stockings on all day yesterday which probably didn't help the stomach issue, but any other suggestions for next time I'm in that situation? I think the biggest culprit to my belly acting up was I only took my SFS in the morning, I normally take it at least 3 seperate times a day if not 4... but all I had was water and luna bars/peanut butter.. I was trying ot be inobtrusive and hide what I was doing, so that people didn't see me eating and get tempted and hungry since its a fast day. I figure I'd better ask now for suggestions on what to do next time I'm in this boat rather then wait until next year when I'll probably forget to ask in advance.

also- do any of you fast on days like that? does it work or is the doctor right- if I have a daily food routine that is working don't break it even for a religious reason?

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: yesterday was Yom Kippur.... new
      #108424 - 09/26/04 04:07 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there
I am from an orthodox family and suffered so many years with the fasting. finally, two years ago my father (who is a rabbi!!!) sat me down and forced me to eat!!! since then I have not fasted.
I have had such a bad time with my ibs these last few months, and it is finally starting to look up, that I made sure I did nothing different yesterday. I went to synagogues near us so I could pop home for proper food (I also observed all the laws as usual apart from putting on the stove so I could cook etc)....I put my ibs before everything.
There is no point in me fasting...it kills me...psychologically aswell, because I feel my blood sugar go so low that I go completely insane mentally aswell and then there is no way to focus religiously on the day.
For someone that spent all day in shul, I think you made great preparations for it and should give yourself a pat on the back.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

thanks.. I had no choice but to spend all day there new
      #108426 - 09/26/04 04:14 AM
khyricat

my personal minhag is not to drive on holidays or shabbos but to and from shul.. and we rent a larger space on the high holidays that is about a 15-20 minute drive from home, so personally I felt it owuld be wrong to get in the car and come home other then at night to sleep... so I am trying to figure out what I can do better next year especially as I am moving father away.. but I was pretty proud of myself... I had some knitting in the bag with the food, and used it to carry my tallis bag and hold my shoes as well... our congregation deems the sanctuary a quiet space even when there aren't active services in there, so most of us take our shoes off.... and we are egalitarian, so I wear a tallis and kippah as well as the men... I also have a home based business I am getting off the ground making talleisim and kippot to order... so far so good with that.. it was neat to see 3 of my talleisim in use.. 1 on a man, one on another woman and one on me... I now have 3 talleisim (my fathers old one from my childhood, the first one I made and one I made myself for the high holidays that is plain white but in a gorgeous knit pattern...)

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#108455 - 09/26/04 12:45 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Could you also bring a few water bottles with your SFS pre-mixed in? I know someone asked about that earlier this month, and the reply was that it was okay to mix it and carry it all day. I haven't tried it and don't know much about SFS but if that works, you'll be able to get your fiber without making a big show of mixing and such ...

I don't know anything about the services - are you allowed to drink water throughout the day? Hope this is of some help

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#108457 - 09/26/04 12:56 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Amie,

Many SFS's also come in capsule or tablet form. That's what I use when I travel or am somewhere I can't mix my powder one. I think one brand name is FiberCon. I also think someone mentioned Metamucil caps.

And you definitely should NOT fast. That is medically contraindicated for those of us with IBS.

A belated happy new year to you and Dalia and Ruchie, too.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#108597 - 09/27/04 10:49 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hmmm - did you drink at all during YK? I find I start bloating up no matter what I eat if I'm not getting some liquids every few hours.

--AC

#108637 - 09/27/04 01:15 PM
khyricat

I drank.. I sat in the back with a bottle of water and tried to be inobtrusive with it... I was sitting with people who knew I had medical issues... so that helped..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 896 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review