All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Another Delusional Article Bashing Carbs new
      #11372 - 06/11/03 07:58 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

Do you all remember the post I made sometime back..expressing concern that the low carb/high fat diet craze would impact us as IBS sufferers, by possibly making manufacturers, etc switch from low fat products to low carb?

Well, I emailed my personal trainer to ask him what he thinks. This is his reply...if made me feel more hopeful!

>>>
Sorry I'm just getting back to you...your email was somehow sent to my wife's mailbox.

Although there seems to be an excessive focus on low-carb vs. low-fat there are still low-fat options. In fact, if you take a close look at some of the "low-carb" options you may find that the restaurants have simply renamed some of their preexisting low-fat choices.

Also, like most fads, the pendulum initially swings wildly to one side before settling in a more moderate position. I think we are seeing the beginning of the moderation phase of the low-carb fad. I have recently heard news reports of studies w/people experiencing initial results on Atkins-type weight loss programs...followed by a 6 month weight gain. These types of reports will probably bring some sanity back into the commercial weight loss industry.

Hope this adequately addresses your question!

>>

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I can relate- re. Mags new
      #11407 - 06/11/03 03:21 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Barbara - I'm glad your appointment went well. Hopefully the med change will work for you!

Your luck sounds about as good as mine! For the past week and a half I have been going through hell! I woke up last Monday with poison ivy, and for three days new patches kept appearing. Then, while eating, my tooth chipped, so now I had to make another appt. at the dentist when I wasn't due to go back till Oct. The cherry on top of that was my period. Oh, and also one day last week right after I got out of the shower, my power went out & never came back on, so I got to go to work with a wet head.

Then, I woke up in the middle of the night on Monday to pee, and had excruciating pain while doing so. I assumed it was a UTI (had never been blessed with one of those yet), which my quick squeeze into the doctor yesterday morning proved it to be true, then yesterday afternoon I was off to the dentist to get my tooth fixed. Now I'm on antibiotics and taking some other stuff that makes me pee orange. I'll be done with the antibiotics on Friday...I can't wait. Today, I felt SO nauseas.

I woke up this morning thinking I might as well have gotten a prescription for diflucan, because the way things are going for me so far, I'm sure there's got to be a yeast infection in my future from the antibiotics.

On the plus side though, through all of this, I haven't had an IBS attack.

Re: I can relate- re. Mags new
      #11441 - 06/11/03 07:59 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Amazing you didn't have an IBS attack after all the stress you went through this past week.
Hope the rest of your week goes better!!

Question for Barbara S. re: paxil new
      #11442 - 06/11/03 08:31 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I noticed in one of your posts you said you take Paxil. Do you mind me asking do you have IBS-D or IBS-C? Does it help with your IBS symtoms? I have suffered from depression and panic attacks in the past and was on Zoloft for that. (The doc thought I was bipolar but I don't think that was the correct diagnosis.) I have been off all medication for a year now, and ever since, I have had stomach problems. I am wondering if there is a correlation since from what I'm reading there is a connection between serontin levels and your gut. I am thinking about asking the doctor about getting back on a low dose of one of the anti-depressants to see if it will help my IBS-C. I am desperate for something to help!!! Has anyone had success with an antidpressant and IBS-C???? If so, please share your experience.

Re: Thanks! new
      #11458 - 06/12/03 03:49 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I hope so too! Sorry I went into whiney mode there before, but it felt good to vent.

I think I didn't have any attacks because of the hypno tapes. I've noticed in the past few weeks I've been feeling even better! Those things are amazing! I need to jump over to the hyno board to let ShawnEric know...I've just been lazy.

Re: Question for Barbara S. re: paxil new
      #11471 - 06/12/03 06:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Wow. Very interesting question. I take Paxil for Obsessive Compulsive - not my IBS-D. Anyway, since my anxiety is better, so is my IBS. I don't know if Paxil can aggravate IBS - I suppose it could very well be a culprit. Do you feel the med is working for you? How is your anxiety level? Stress level? What is in your diet? These could also be reasons for an unstable tummy.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Question for Barbara S. re: paxil new
      #11519 - 06/12/03 12:04 PM
kenneth

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Toronto Canada

I take paxil for OCD & anxiety. I went off of it for a couple of months, and then my IBS kicked in bigtime. Even though I went back on paxil it didn't seem to make any difference, and only the diet and alternate therapy have been affective.
Since then I've heard that taking a drug the second time around can lesson its impact, so I'm slowly making a change from paxil to zoloft... Only been on it for 3 days but anxiety seems a bit better...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8585

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review