All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peppermint Tea
      #107688 - 09/22/04 06:13 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

I've just started the IBS diet and so far things are going well, but I wonder if anyone else has had any problems with the herbal Peppermint Tea? I love it, but it seems to be aggravating my panic disorder which I've had since I was 7. This doesn't seem logical to me and I don't understand the connection, if there is one. Thanks. Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint Tea new
      #107695 - 09/22/04 06:40 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

First, welcome!! Glad you found us, there's lots of great people here and lots on great info.

You're right, it doesn't seem to make sense that peppermint would trigger panic attacks. However, anything's possible. It does aggravate GERD (acid reflux). Have you noticed any heartburn? Maybe that would then make you feel uncomfortable which would then trigger the panic???? Just a long shot.

Obviously, stop drinking it for a week or so to see if it stops. If there is a link, there's lots of other teas you can try like fennel and chamomile. And there are prescription antispasmodics that you could ask your doctor for instead of the peppermint.

Feel better! There's a number of folks here with panic disorder and everyone knows it's no fun. So tons of sympathy and a {{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#107701 - 09/22/04 07:43 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Laura Sue,
Thanks for answering my post. I wish it was GERD, but it's not. BTW, I've been looking at the boards for a week and for some reason always ended up reading your posts. How's that for a coincidence? My doctor thinks that I better lay off all IBS meds since I take an antidepressant (Sinequan)and an antianxiety med. Figured, I'd be overly drowzy and dry of mouth otherwise. Sinequan is an old tricyclic drug that works for ulcer patients as well. I used to work in the medical field and was also a medical transcriptionist, so I got to see what everyone was getting for which condition. I seem to have D of the mouth this evening. Sorry. Yeah, I'm off the tea, but it was so good and now I'll have to be content to just sniff the box. Thanks. Teresa

#107728 - 09/22/04 11:48 PM
SisterDawn

Loc: Iowa.

Hi, Teresa! Welcome! I just discovered this site a week or so ago myself, and have found lots of help here. Do you like Chamomile? Maybe you should try drinking that, as it has relaxing properties. Well, then again, that could have problems with being drowsy. Hmmm. I've never had fennel, so I can't speak to that one. Welcome!

#107753 - 09/23/04 05:07 AM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Sister Dawn,
I haven't thought about any of the other teas, but I might try them when I get myself all stabilized. I can eat peppermint candy without any problems, so I figured the tea would be okay too. I think my system is just weird. Thanks, Teresa

#107783 - 09/23/04 06:56 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

If you want to try a chamomile that's almost as good as peppermint, I highly recommend Celestial Seasonings' Honey Vanilla Chamomile. I just opened up a new box today, and it smelled so-o-o good.

It's really relaxing, so there's a good chance it won't trigger off a panic for you.

--AC

#107810 - 09/23/04 08:06 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Teresa - Welcome!

I cannot tolerate the peppermint tea either, it gives me GERD. I use Heather's peppermint capsules and have no problems. Perhaps you could give that a try or Chamomile.

Good luck and welcome.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#107911 - 09/23/04 12:11 PM
Teresa Lynn

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. I am so glad I found this site. I live in a rural area, so it's not easy for me to find the things I need, but I will check out the other teas.

#107964 - 09/23/04 02:21 PM
LauraSue

Teresa, that makes sense with the meds. I take an old tricyclic, Elavil, for my fibromyalgia sleep disorder. Too bad about the tea. Oh well.

I'm glad you've found my posts helpful! Thanks! And don't worry about D of the mouth, you can't shut any of us up around here!! This is a great site and I'm so glad you found us!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#108013 - 09/23/04 03:27 PM
Teresa Lynn

Laura Sue,
How interesting that you have fibromyalgia because I do too. I also have sleep apnea. I get to use a C-pap machine and wear a mask to bed every night. Very cool looking! I used to take Elavil a long time ago and changed to Sinequan(Doxepin) because my internist told me that it would heal my duodenal ulcer. He was right. It was also the first antidepressant that ever worked for me. I've tried Paxil and Effexor with bad results. I think having panic disorder along with major clinical depression makes me a very difficult patient to deal with. I feel sorry for my poor doctors. I'll get over the tea thing someday.
Teresa

#108222 - 09/24/04 01:14 PM
LauraSue

Teresa! A fibro sister!! There's a few of us here, Linz and JenX, Christie (Tissy) who was just diagnosed, and I KNOW I'm forgetting someone due to my fibro fog (we call it fibro frog here - ribbit - because that's how Linz misspelled it once and we thought it was funny!

There's actually a lot of overlap between IBS and fibro and migraines and sleep disorders. There's a lot of research going on about it now, so maybe in a few years they'll know more about the causes, the treatments, and (dare we hope) even maybe a CURE!!

Okay, now who'd I forget? Ruchie thinks she might have it. But there's someone else too. Hang on I'll go check. Oh, duh, it was me! I was remember a post from Ruchie that mentioned four names, I couldn't remember the fourth name because it was ME!! RIBBIT!!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#108302 - 09/24/04 05:32 PM
Teresa Lynn

I was wondering if any of you have read the book called Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome-A Survival Manual? The authors are Devin Starlanyl, M.D. and Mary Ellen Copeland, M.S., M.A. who also also have "it." The book is extremely helpful and not so high-tech that you don't know what they're talking about. I've been hanging close to home since 1999 and rarely leave. I used to be able to spell big medical terms, and now I spell like a pre-schooler. I cook for my husband and then leave part of his meal in the oven, the microwave, or the toaster oven. I'm also going off of my HRT at this time which really kicked the IBS into high gear. Everything I have revolves around faulty brain chemistry. Ribbit. Teresa

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1259

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review