All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Antidepressants How have they worked for you? new
      #107769 - 09/23/04 06:12 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am on zoloft 100mg. It has helped with my moods and a little with the IBS. I had no intrest in sex at first, but that seems to going away. I know alot of people on zoloft say it has killed thier sex drive. So just be warned it could happen but is doen't happen to everyone. Keep us posted, and I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antidepressants How have they helped you? new
      #107770 - 09/23/04 06:14 AM
heather7476

I am glad to hear you are doing better. I am hoping these are going to help a little more than they are now, but if not then I will try something else. Keep us posted. I would like to know if you end up having to bump it up after 4 months.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#107819 - 09/23/04 08:29 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Heather - I take Lexapro (10mg) per day. My side affects in the beginning were: tiredness, insomnia, stomach pain, feelings of sadness and down right depression. I have been on it now for two months. I have more energy, no feelings of sadness, no D or C. I know it is not a "cure all", but I do feel much better taking it.

Also my Libido is nil. I am divorced but do have a friend, but that part of my life is at a stand still right now. I do not even have the desire you know. But the Lexapro has helped me a great deal.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: my experience with AD's new
      #107821 - 09/23/04 08:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have always been a very emotional and sensative person. I'm 34 and that hasn't changed! Anyway, when I was around 15, I got IBS and it was terrible. Mostly pain and constipation. Treatments over 15 years ago were eat more granola and go away! Anyway, as I got older I started having panick attacks. I struggled often with depression. When I was in my early twenties, a dr put me on Prozac, my first AD. It was awful! I tried it for 6 weeks. I felt like someone had slipped LSD into my morning juice everyday! I was so shakey and paranoid. I would be driving somewhere and forget where I was going! My body didn't like it at all! So, I stopped taking it and thought I just had to suffer through life.

The next AD I tried was Wellbutrin, which was fine. I got the shakes and couldn't sleep for a few days but it went away and I felt better. It did kill my sex drive totally and after a couple of years, my dr switched me to zoloft. I was on that for years. A little over a year ago I felt it really wasn't working anymore so my dr tried me on Lexapro. I had terrible side effects at first. I was wired, shakey, couldn't sleep, paranoid and had the worst headache ever. I stuck with it and all the side effects went away. Once by body adjusted to it, I actually liked the Lexapro best of all. It didn't "cure" my IBS but I do think it helped. My mood was the best ever.

Back in February, I decided I wanted to get pregnant and wanted to stop the Lexapro. I weaned myself off and went through the same side effects. Although, this time, they didn't go away. After a month, I started to see a shrink because I could hardly get out of bed. I was crying all the time and seriously just wanted to die. I couldn't deal with anything. Most of us have experienced a bad PMS day, when hormones are raging and the world just sucks. Where everything makes you cry and your pissed off at everyone. Well, maginfy that by a 10000 and that is how I was everyday! It was awful. After doing a lot of research on AD's and pregnancy, I decided to go back on the zoloft as I have read that is one of the safests ones when you are pregnant and it isn't passed into breast milk.

I don't feel that the zoloft is as strong or whatever as the lexapro. I definately felt better on the Lexapro, which is similar to the effor that I saw some of you take. So, I will stay on the zoloft until I have a baby and I'm done breastfeeding and then I will probably switch back to the Lexapro.

Anyway, not sure if there was a point to that long post but just wanted to share my experience!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#107924 - 09/23/04 01:11 PM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04
Loc: California

I'm currently on 20mg of Lexapro and 150mg of Wellbutrin for IBS-C...they have worked great so far...but when I first started Lexapro (2.5mg) about 6 months ago...the first few weeks were terrible.....My mind and heart were racing....Fever..than chill...insomnia..headache....but that lasted for about a week and then slowing as I increased my dose...I didn't have these affects anymore.
My sex drive went down to zero ...some my doctor add Wellbutrin to my treatment...for some people Wellbutrin actually increase your sex drive.....For me It helped me go back to normal in the department. Not depressed anymore and no pain or cramping.... I can eat whatever I want with no problems....

Re: Chela new
      #107935 - 09/23/04 01:32 PM
heather7476

That is wonderfull!!!!
I am so happy that you found the right combo, good for you and your doctors.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Lene new
      #107936 - 09/23/04 01:38 PM
heather7476

I am so glad you are feeling better. I am sorry to hear about the sex drive thing. Read Chela post on this thread. She is also taking Lexapro and had the same problem.
I hope everything works out and please keep us posted.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#108051 - 09/23/04 06:20 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

I have heard about the sex drive thing from many people - how ssson after starting Zoloft did you notice the decrease in your sex drive?
So far the only thing that I actually noticed today is that every day that I have been on it (only 4) I have a had a headache that literally lasts all day long...

Thanks Again.

--------------------
Donell

#108054 - 09/23/04 07:25 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I have been taking Prozac 20 mg for about a month. I had some nausea in the beginning, but no worse than I already experienced with IBS. I also found that I was not sleeping as long as usual, waking up an hour or two early. The biggest change I have noticed is less abdominal pain. It is not completely gone but much better. And even though I would still not consider my BM's normal, I have not had any constipation.

#108084 - 09/24/04 04:18 AM
heather7476

Quote:

I have heard about the sex drive thing from many people - how ssson after starting Zoloft did you notice the decrease in your sex drive? It was about a week into it,but it is not so bad now. I hope youdon't have this side effect.
So far the only thing that I actually noticed today is that every day that I have been on it (only 4) I have a had a headache that literally lasts all day long... I am sorry you are having this happen by it should go away after alittle while on the meds. Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks Again.

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2927 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56876

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review