All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Antidepressants How have they worked for you?
      #107637 - 09/22/04 02:08 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am staring this because there seems to be alot of us on them and alot of questions about them. I thought maybe if we all shared our stories we might be able to support each other and help each other.
What AD'S have you taken?,What are you currently taking? What side effects did you experince? What benafit did you see? Did they help your IBS at all and how?

I am taking Zoloft 100mg close to six weeks (only been at 100mg for 11 days)
Side effects were tiredness, shakes, sweats, no sex drive.
All are pretty much gone now. Still get the sweats every now and then, and it take a little bit to get me in the mood if ya know what I mean.
It has helped my mood a great deal but in the past few days I feel like I am getting depressed again. My IBS is somewhat better still have pain off and on all day,all day today But BM have slowed down to a couple a day.

I realy hope everyone participates and we can help each other.

Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antidpressants How have they helped you? new
      #107644 - 09/22/04 02:36 PM
sherryk

Reged: 09/22/04
Loc: Kentucky

Hi..
I am currently taking Prozac (20mg) per day for perimenopausal mood swings and depression. I have had some of the same symptons. Stay pretty tired, no sex drive. However, it has helped with IBS. I still have problems just about every day because I have yet to find a diet that works. But, thanks to this web site, I may have. Give the medication a little more time and see what happens.
Good luck.

Excellent idea! - I take Lexapro new
      #107647 - 09/22/04 02:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm on Lexapro 10mg. I started Sept. 1 on 5mg/day, and increased to 10mg on Sept. 9. This is my first experience with ADs.

Side effects were mostly extreme tiredness and dizziness, diarrhea and cramping. I was literally sleeping 16 hours a day for the first 3-4 days. The tiredness and dizziness went away completely by the time I increased my dosage, D and cramping took a little longer. The only long-term side effect I've noticed is sensitivity to heat and humidity.

I was put on Lexapro for anxiety, not depression. I felt better anxiety-wise by my 4th day! I'm not constantly anxious and nervous, I feel calmer and better able to cope with stress. It's fantastic. My appetite has increased a lot, which is something my doctor and I were aiming for, so that's been positive as well. I haven't noticed any good effects on my IBS yet, but I haven't been on it very long, so I'll be sure to come back and update if I do.

I just wanted to add that I was very, very hesitant to go on ADs. In fact, I was STILL dead-set against it, even as I was swallowing my first pill. I was afraid they'd make me an emotionless zombie, and that they'd destroy my libido, and that hasn't been the case at all. I feel like MYSELF again for the first time in years.

#107648 - 09/22/04 02:48 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

This is a good thread! Hopefully it helps a lot of people.

Ok, about three years ago I started taking Paxil and I took 40mg. It definately helped my tummy, made it calmer and just easier to get along with I also found my mood was a lot better and I had a lot less anxiety which was nice. Side effects were weight gain (40lbs!!!) and loss of sex drive. The sex drive was a biggie, because it was a total loss which was pretty disturbing.

I started going off Paxil last summer because the weight gain was getting out of control and I was getting very overweight. It took me almost a year to get off it, dropping the dose very gradually becuase I had bad withdrawal effects. I had sleeplessness, nervousness, shakes and electric "zaps". Not fun.

I just recently went on Effexor XR...I'm at 150mg now but I've only been at that dose for about 2 days. So far I haven't really noticed much of a difference in anything but I didn't have a hard time starting it, the only real side effects have been some sleeplessness and agitation at night for the first few days.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Re: Vicam new
      #107653 - 09/22/04 03:09 PM
heather7476

Keep us posted on your expreince with Effexor Xr. If the the zoloft doesn't work I think that may be my next step. It is so frustrating. My daughter's art teacher has IBS and she swears by the Zoloft. She only has tummy pain every few months for a couple weeks around PMS time. I realy had thought it was working but this past week I am not so sure anymore.
Good Luck and Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Re:Casey new
      #107654 - 09/22/04 03:11 PM
heather7476

Casey
I am so glad your feeling better. I hope it starts to help your IBS to. Wouldn't that be wonderful.
Good luck and keep us posted. I realy want to keep this thread alive.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Sherryk new
      #107655 - 09/22/04 03:16 PM
heather7476

Hello and welcome to the boards. I realy hope this diet works for you it has helped me. I glad to hear you are happy with your meds. Please keep us posted.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Re:Heather new
      #107656 - 09/22/04 03:23 PM
atomic rose

Thanks! I hope that either the zoloft kicks in for you, or that you find something else that works... good luck! I already marked this as one of my favorites, and I will update whenever something changes.

A teeny tiny suggestion - and I hope you don't get offended by me suggesting this, I always hate noticing stuff like this because I'm afraid people will think I'm being nitpicky - but you might want to fix the spelling of "antidepressants" in the title of this thread. I'm just thinking in terms of future posters who go searching for information... if you do a search, this discussion doesn't show up, because of the misspell.

Now I'm really embarassed for mentioning it. But I do want this to be helpful for as many people as possible!

Re: Sherryk new
      #107658 - 09/22/04 03:24 PM
sherryk

Reged: 09/22/04
Loc: Kentucky

Thanks for the welcome. I am so happy and relieved to find this web site. I just orderd the IBS Diet Kit and cannot wait to get it.

#107659 - 09/22/04 03:26 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

This post isn't really a 'helped' one ...

I was on 20mg Paxil for about 5 months in 2001, for depression. I didn't notice any side-effects like a change in sleeping or eating habits (maybe because those were already all messed up). What I did notice was that the medication practically shut-down my ability to vent my emotions. I lost my ability to cry or to express myself, which I believe led to even worse depression and set me up for my O/D on them (though I don't BLAME them for the event).

I think it's great that so many of you are having good luck with them, and I hope that it continues for you. I only advise to be aware of what can happen if you and your doctor aren't monitoring them closely.

Maybe someday I'll talk to my doctor about them again, but for now I'll stick to immodium and diet ...

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Re:Casey new
      #107661 - 09/22/04 03:29 PM
heather7476

WHATEVER how dare you I am just kidding. I suck at spelling . I want people to be able to find this to. Thank you for telling me. Don't be embrassed at all. I will fix right now.
THANK YOU

--------------------
Heather7476

Thank you for that perspective... new
      #107663 - 09/22/04 03:32 PM
atomic rose

...because I do think it's important to mention that they *don't* work for everyone, just like any other medication. Your response to the Paxil is exactly what I was afraid of, and what kept me from trying an AD for so long - several friends had similar experiences on Prozac, and I thought that's what AD's were *supposed* to do.

You bring up a really good point: careful monitoring by yourself and your doctor is important. My GP wants to see me monthly for a while, to see how mine is working for me.

Thanks for that!

Hahaha! new
      #107664 - 09/22/04 03:33 PM
atomic rose

I didn't think you'd mind... but I still felt like an a$$. It'll show up in searches now! Yay!

Re: Antidepressants How have they helped you? new
      #107665 - 09/22/04 03:34 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I've been on Zoloft a little over two mos. I'm at 100 mg now Heather, had pretty much the same side effects as you but gone now. My doc said when I reach around 4 mos I will probably need to increase the dosage as you start to need more then so we'll see. My IBS got tons better before I started taking them so don't know if they would have helped that or not. I went on anti-D for anxiety so that is what has improved for me.

Re: Amber new
      #107666 - 09/22/04 03:35 PM
heather7476

I am so sorry to hear about your experince. I wanted all kinds of feedback so thank you. I think I need to chance the title of this post. I hope you are doing well and thanks for sharing this with us.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Antidepressants How have they worked for you? new
      #107698 - 09/22/04 07:01 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

I had a severe 'crying episode' as I like to call them, on monday and missed work again because of it - I then realized that I needed to see my doctor about possible depression. I knew for a while something was wrong but hesitated on going - anyway she started me on Zoloft I am at 25mg now and next week go to 50mg for three weeks and then I wil see her again.
I have not exprienced any side effects yet but it is probably too soon. She did warn me that a big side effect is no sex drive and that if it happened to let her know so she could change it.

I too woudl like to know how many others are on the same and how they have been able to handle it with IBS...

--------------------
Donell

I Will! -nt new
      #107721 - 09/22/04 10:07 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04

#107730 - 09/22/04 11:53 PM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, all. I am currently taking 25 MG per day of Paxel CR for depression. It helps with the emotional problems, but it has some lousy side effects. Nearly a constnat, dragging fatigue, always thirsty, and minor constant headache. I've learned to fight these by dramatically increasing how much water I drink, which of course is good for my IBS, too. However, when we've tried other meds, they've not had side effects, but also not treated the depression. The Paxel has increased my appetite and eating, but it hasn't really effected my IBS. My eating habits have done that! I didn't even know there could be a link to AD's and IBS, till seeing this thread. Thanks for the new info!

Re: Amber new
      #107734 - 09/23/04 12:01 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Thanks for the sweet post. I was worried about posting earlier about my experience, because I didn't want to put a damper on anyone else's enthusiasm, but I realize that that was just plain stupid. The reason I had a problem was because no one bothered to tell me about the possiblility. So thank you for giving me the chance to correct my mistake.

I am doing a lot better than I was then. Still depressed at times, but still feeling pretty good. I know this might sound pretty weird (and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone!) but the O/D was probably one of the best things that could have happened to me at the time. It was a learning experience (and luckily I was naive enough about medications that I had the chance to learn from it), and I carry it with me all the time. I think that's why I haven't slipped back into the depression.

Anyway, thank you!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

#107767 - 09/23/04 06:08 AM
heather7476

I am sorry your having such bad side effects, glad your moods are better. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
How long have you been taking Paxil. Maybe the side effects will get better.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#107769 - 09/23/04 06:12 AM
heather7476

I am on zoloft 100mg. It has helped with my moods and a little with the IBS. I had no intrest in sex at first, but that seems to going away. I know alot of people on zoloft say it has killed thier sex drive. So just be warned it could happen but is doen't happen to everyone. Keep us posted, and I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Antidepressants How have they helped you? new
      #107770 - 09/23/04 06:14 AM
heather7476

I am glad to hear you are doing better. I am hoping these are going to help a little more than they are now, but if not then I will try something else. Keep us posted. I would like to know if you end up having to bump it up after 4 months.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#107819 - 09/23/04 08:29 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Heather - I take Lexapro (10mg) per day. My side affects in the beginning were: tiredness, insomnia, stomach pain, feelings of sadness and down right depression. I have been on it now for two months. I have more energy, no feelings of sadness, no D or C. I know it is not a "cure all", but I do feel much better taking it.

Also my Libido is nil. I am divorced but do have a friend, but that part of my life is at a stand still right now. I do not even have the desire you know. But the Lexapro has helped me a great deal.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: my experience with AD's new
      #107821 - 09/23/04 08:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have always been a very emotional and sensative person. I'm 34 and that hasn't changed! Anyway, when I was around 15, I got IBS and it was terrible. Mostly pain and constipation. Treatments over 15 years ago were eat more granola and go away! Anyway, as I got older I started having panick attacks. I struggled often with depression. When I was in my early twenties, a dr put me on Prozac, my first AD. It was awful! I tried it for 6 weeks. I felt like someone had slipped LSD into my morning juice everyday! I was so shakey and paranoid. I would be driving somewhere and forget where I was going! My body didn't like it at all! So, I stopped taking it and thought I just had to suffer through life.

The next AD I tried was Wellbutrin, which was fine. I got the shakes and couldn't sleep for a few days but it went away and I felt better. It did kill my sex drive totally and after a couple of years, my dr switched me to zoloft. I was on that for years. A little over a year ago I felt it really wasn't working anymore so my dr tried me on Lexapro. I had terrible side effects at first. I was wired, shakey, couldn't sleep, paranoid and had the worst headache ever. I stuck with it and all the side effects went away. Once by body adjusted to it, I actually liked the Lexapro best of all. It didn't "cure" my IBS but I do think it helped. My mood was the best ever.

Back in February, I decided I wanted to get pregnant and wanted to stop the Lexapro. I weaned myself off and went through the same side effects. Although, this time, they didn't go away. After a month, I started to see a shrink because I could hardly get out of bed. I was crying all the time and seriously just wanted to die. I couldn't deal with anything. Most of us have experienced a bad PMS day, when hormones are raging and the world just sucks. Where everything makes you cry and your pissed off at everyone. Well, maginfy that by a 10000 and that is how I was everyday! It was awful. After doing a lot of research on AD's and pregnancy, I decided to go back on the zoloft as I have read that is one of the safests ones when you are pregnant and it isn't passed into breast milk.

I don't feel that the zoloft is as strong or whatever as the lexapro. I definately felt better on the Lexapro, which is similar to the effor that I saw some of you take. So, I will stay on the zoloft until I have a baby and I'm done breastfeeding and then I will probably switch back to the Lexapro.

Anyway, not sure if there was a point to that long post but just wanted to share my experience!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#107924 - 09/23/04 01:11 PM
Chela

Reged: 03/17/04

I'm currently on 20mg of Lexapro and 150mg of Wellbutrin for IBS-C...they have worked great so far...but when I first started Lexapro (2.5mg) about 6 months ago...the first few weeks were terrible.....My mind and heart were racing....Fever..than chill...insomnia..headache....but that lasted for about a week and then slowing as I increased my dose...I didn't have these affects anymore.
My sex drive went down to zero ...some my doctor add Wellbutrin to my treatment...for some people Wellbutrin actually increase your sex drive.....For me It helped me go back to normal in the department. Not depressed anymore and no pain or cramping.... I can eat whatever I want with no problems....

Re: Chela new
      #107935 - 09/23/04 01:32 PM
heather7476

That is wonderfull!!!!
I am so happy that you found the right combo, good for you and your doctors.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Lene new
      #107936 - 09/23/04 01:38 PM
heather7476

I am so glad you are feeling better. I am sorry to hear about the sex drive thing. Read Chela post on this thread. She is also taking Lexapro and had the same problem.
I hope everything works out and please keep us posted.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#108051 - 09/23/04 06:20 PM
dmosher

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: New Hampshire

I have heard about the sex drive thing from many people - how ssson after starting Zoloft did you notice the decrease in your sex drive?
So far the only thing that I actually noticed today is that every day that I have been on it (only 4) I have a had a headache that literally lasts all day long...

Thanks Again.

--------------------
Donell

#108054 - 09/23/04 07:25 PM
Carrieokie

Reged: 08/29/04
Loc: Colorado

I have been taking Prozac 20 mg for about a month. I had some nausea in the beginning, but no worse than I already experienced with IBS. I also found that I was not sleeping as long as usual, waking up an hour or two early. The biggest change I have noticed is less abdominal pain. It is not completely gone but much better. And even though I would still not consider my BM's normal, I have not had any constipation.

#108084 - 09/24/04 04:18 AM
heather7476

Quote:

I have heard about the sex drive thing from many people - how ssson after starting Zoloft did you notice the decrease in your sex drive? It was about a week into it,but it is not so bad now. I hope youdon't have this side effect.
So far the only thing that I actually noticed today is that every day that I have been on it (only 4) I have a had a headache that literally lasts all day long... I am sorry you are having this happen by it should go away after alittle while on the meds. Keep us posted and good luck!

Thanks Again.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Carrieokie new
      #108087 - 09/24/04 04:26 AM
heather7476

I am glad that they have helped you some! I feel the same way my pain is a lttle better but by no way gone. I hope the sleep thing gets better after awhile. Keep us posted and let us know how you do.
Thanks & Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#108324 - 09/24/04 10:04 PM
FEMBETH

Reged: 09/20/04

I am on Paxil CR 25mg. I started on paxil 20mg about 3 yrs ago and had affects of sex life but, only lasted about 3 months. It was not strong enough after that many yrs and now on Paxil CR and has had no affects. I also take Kolonipin for panic attacks in the car. I have panic attacks in the car for fear of the big D in car and not being able to get anywhere fast enough. I get a slight headache but, that is it. I also am supposed to take pamene forte but, it causes my chest to feel very heavy and tired so I don't usually take that. Kolonopin melts in your mouth and takes affect quickly. Beth

I've been on a few new
      #108443 - 09/26/04 09:44 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Celexa was my first because of anxiety and panic attacks. I was also prescribed valium for times of extreme anxiety(flying is my #1). I was also in counseling at the time so I think the combo helped. Gained alot 50lbs over the 2-3 years I was on Celexa. I always felt like I was starving! And no sex drive. I am now taking nortriptylene which was helped with my IBS-D and cutting of my anxiety signals to my GI tract by 80%, no side effects ex. constipating which is what I needed. Just saw a psychiatrist and we are starting from the very beginning. I am going off Prozac weekly and seeing how just the nortriptylene does. He really likes Lexapro so I might end up there for my anxiety and panic attacks. It really is all a game of chance with everybody reacting differently to each drug. This is a really good thread idea I am adding it to my favorites.

--------------------
IBS-D

#108456 - 09/26/04 12:48 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Good thread, Heather. I finally had time to read it.

I take Effexor, currently at 262.5 mg. I take it as a maintenance dose to prevent my clinical depression from coming back. I really like it. No sex drive but that's fine with me! It didn't help my IBS at all though.

I also take an older AD called Elavil. It's one of the old tricyclics that causes mega major dry mouth. Like a camel slept there overnight! I take it for my fibromyalgia sleep disorder. Currently taking 150 mg at bed time. It does have the side benefit of being slightly constipating so it has helped my IBS a little, which is nice.

Also in the past took Zoloft, but it started giving me headaches, so she switched me to Effexor about 5 years ago.

But AD's alone weren't enough to stabilize my IBS. It took Heather's diet, SFS and prescription antispasmodics to control it. It's possible I need the Elavil too. Might be interesting to see what happens with the IBS if and when my doctor ever thinks I should come off the Elavil.

Hope this helps. I don't feel very coherent today, cause my head's all plugged up with a cold.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re:Laura Sue new
      #108464 - 09/26/04 01:26 PM
heather7476

I also used to take evavil at 150 mg for the pain I had with vulvadoina S/P?. I would go months without any pain. I stablized at 75mg but after 5 years I ended up at 150mg. Stress was a majior trigger for my vulvadonia. It is gone now after I had my daughter it never came back. I am thinking it might help the pain from this to. The only reason i haven't brought it up to my doctor is I gained a ton of weight on it and you can't be pregnant on it. I am not sure how much more of this I can take so we may just decide to thank god for our daughter and stop trying
I don't know. just wanted to share with some else on evail. It did make me sleep like the living dead to.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Heather Robin new
      #108465 - 09/26/04 01:29 PM
heather7476

Thanks for responding. I know there are so many out there and they work so differant for everybody. It can be a bit frustrating. I am hoping that we can all find the mix that helps us.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: FemBeth new
      #108468 - 09/26/04 01:58 PM
heather7476

Thank you for sharing. I hope you are feeling better. Was your IBS helped or made worse by any of these. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Good LUCK

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Michele new
      #108469 - 09/26/04 02:04 PM
heather7476

You sneeked your post in there and I just saw it today. Sorry.
As you know I am taking the zoloft to. I hope you are doing ok on it. Getting pregnant and IBS is not the most fun thing in the world. I know it will happen soon hon. Good Luck and keep us posted.

--------------------
Heather7476

#108495 - 09/26/04 03:53 PM
LittleFox

Thanks Heather.

I hope my sex drive returns when everything is "stable". I do not want an increase in Lexapro, my friend may just up and move out!!!!! (LOL)

He is very understanding and we have had some encounters. Slow to start, but good finish.

Thanks for thinking of me.

You are in my prayers, all of you, always.

Lene

--------------------

#108513 - 09/26/04 06:52 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04

I am on three Effexor capsules per day (since 2001). They will have to pry them out of my cold hands to get them away from me. They helped me climb out of a deep well of crippling anxiety.

I am not crazy about SSRIs (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft) because they seem to interfere with my sleep patterns. But other people have had good luck with them.

It's very important to get counseling along with the meds if at all possible. Research shows the two work much better hand in hand.

If at all possible it is best to go on them very slowly and go off them very slowly. Start with tablets and go up a quarter tab every few days. Then you can switch to capsules.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#108514 - 09/26/04 06:57 PM
amo616

Have you tried sexy novels?

I am not kidding!!

--------------------

#108516 - 09/26/04 07:05 PM
heather7476

I was to embaressed to say that so thank you so much for saying it. It does help me alot to get in the mood. A realy hot trashy novel will always put in the mood. My husband will NEVER complain about the money spent on those books

--------------------
Heather7476

UPDATE on Lexapro new
      #108561 - 09/27/04 07:51 AM
atomic rose

It's probably really a little too soon to tell for sure, but I'm tentatively going to say that the Lexapro IS helping my IBS.

I can't eat "anything I want", and I'm still following Heather's diet carefully, BUT... I've been really bad about taking my SFS, and even worse about eating insolubles (I don't think I've had a vegetable this entire month! ), and I'm actually NOT CONSTIPATED. I'm an IBS-A, but found myself more on the C side of things if I didn't eat lots of vegetables and take the SFS religiously... so not having that problem pretty much tickles me pink. (Although, yes, I know, I need veggies to be healthy, LOL! I'm working on it, I promise.)

And yes, the D/cramping side effect has gone away completely, too.

Anyway, I just wanted to leave that small update. I'm actually off to my doctor's in 1/2 hour for a followup on the Lexapro... I'm 99.9% sure she'll leave me on it as-is. I feel pretty darn good.

Re: UPDATE on Lexapro new
      #108565 - 09/27/04 08:11 AM
heather7476

That's great Casey. I am so happy for you Keep us updated.

--------------------
Heather7476

That's great, Casey! ---nt-- new
      #108611 - 09/27/04 11:32 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Re:Laura Sue new
      #108617 - 09/27/04 12:08 PM
LauraSue

Quote:

I also used to take evavil at 150 mg for the pain I had with vulvadoina S/P?. I would go months without any pain. I stablized at 75mg but after 5 years I ended up at 150mg. Stress was a majior trigger for my vulvadonia. It is gone now after I had my daughter it never came back. I am thinking it might help the pain from this to. The only reason i haven't brought it up to my doctor is I gained a ton of weight on it and you can't be pregnant on it. I am not sure how much more of this I can take so we may just decide to thank god for our daughter and stop trying
I don't know. just wanted to share with some else on evail. It did make me sleep like the living dead to.

Heather, that's interesting. I've heard of vulva-whatever. Does NOT sound like fun. I think AD's are being prescribed more and more for their pain-relieving effect, which I think is great. The more doctors understand the science of pain and how best to treat it, the better. They've started calling it the Fifth Vital Sign, after heart rate, temperature, etc. Or Sixth?! Fibro frog ribbit.

I haven't gained any weight to speak of. Maybe 5 pounds, but by counting calories religiously I've lost them. But yes, they sure make me sleep nice and soundly!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Good news, Casey!! -nt- new
      #108619 - 09/27/04 12:12 PM
LauraSue

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#108620 - 09/27/04 12:13 PM
LittleFox

No but thanks for bringing it to mind. Perhaps some Adult videos would help as well.

I will check it out and see.

Promise to keep you guys posted!!!!

Lene

--------------------

#108662 - 09/27/04 03:50 PM
LittleFox

Good news Casey. I am glad things are coming together for you.

Lots of Luck!

Lene

--------------------

Re: LENE?? new
      #108663 - 09/27/04 03:54 PM
heather7476

Lene has your stomach pain been helped by the Lexapro??
How you feeling latley?

--------------------
Heather7476

#108691 - 09/27/04 05:43 PM
amo616

I haven't really let me husband in on my little libido secret but he is happy nonetheless. It's definitely a use it or lose it issue. The more you use it, the better it works.

How's that for talking in code? I should be writing Seinfeld episodes!

--------------------

question about Effexor new
      #108985 - 09/29/04 08:30 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

My doctor just recently increased my dose of Effexor from 150mg to 225mg. I increased it gradually by taking 150 + 37.5 for a week and then 150 + 75. Well, now the past couple days I've been real emotional and kind of "down in the dumps". Not sure if it is a side effect of too high of a dose. or if it could be PMS. My tummy is doing great on the higher dose. I requested to increase from 150 because I was feeling "edgy" again and my IBS was flareing up again. But now I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do. I'm going to wait a couple weeks to see if it goes away after I am at that "time of the month". But it would be helpful in knowing if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks.

Re: question about Effexor new
      #109036 - 09/29/04 12:13 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hey, Nugget!!!!

I wouldn't think an increase in an AD would make you feel down in the dumps. You may need more of it---and it hasn't taken effect yet. But it's probably just PMS. I get like that every month!

Further update on Lexapro new
      #111963 - 10/11/04 04:12 AM
atomic rose

I thought today would be a good day to update, because I'm in the middle of a D attack. That's right - Lexapro hasn't cured me. Just a reminder that nothing is guaranteed! But I will say that this D attack is a LOT less severe than attacks used to be for me... no cramps, no nausea... and Lexapro is the only medication I'm taking, so I credit that for making things better.

Also, I'm still feeling pretty good mentally and emotionally - had a very, very stressful couple of weeks, and didn't have a single problem until today - and I haven't had a SINGLE panic attack since starting it. I used to have panic attacks several times daily.

I'm a little disappointed that I'm still having D at all, but it's a good reminder that a pill isn't going to cure this and I still have to watch what I'm doing and manage my stress better. Over all, I'm still very pleased with the Lexapro.

Re: Further update on Lexapro new
      #111967 - 10/11/04 05:30 AM
heather7476

Well Dang!! I am sorry your having a attack !!! I am glad to hear it is not as bad though!!! Hope you feel better soon and can get some peace and quite SOON!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#111972 - 10/11/04 07:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Glad to hear the Lexapro has helped. I really liked it. As soon as I can, I will switch back to it. I just upped my zoloft dose from 50 to 75 to see if that will help me. When I was on the Lexapro I still had some IBS issue's but not nearly as severe and like you, my anxiety and panick was just about gone!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#111975 - 10/11/04 08:17 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I don't know how I missed this post! Here's my two cents. AD's have helped me SO MUCH! I feel like a completely new person...actually... I feel like my old self again.

They have helped with my IBS-related abdominal pain 85% of the time. I still have to be careful about what I eat, of course. I hardly ever get 'd' anymore and the only thing I do get is gas here and there. But I take soemthing to relieve that when it happens.

But something unexpected has happened. It has helped my mood so much. I'm not as uptight and irritable as I guess I must have become. I laugh and smile WAY MORE and gernerally have way more good days than bad ones.

Right now I can honestly say that I plan on taking them for quite a long time.

#111977 - 10/11/04 08:23 AM
heather7476

I am so glad you are doing better !!! I also love my AD's. I am a much happier person now. I feel like my oldself again to. Isn't it great!!!!
Good luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#111980 - 10/11/04 08:32 AM
LittleFox

Hi Casey - sorry you are having an attack of D, but glad that mentally you are doing okay. I take Lexapro as well, and it has eliminated the cramping for me too. My Dr. wants to up it to 20 mg, but I don't think so. My libido is very low as is, I do not want it to completely go away!

Take care, this too shall pass.

{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}}}}

Lene

--------------------

#111988 - 10/11/04 08:49 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

It is great!

Good luck too.

#112001 - 10/11/04 09:31 AM
ChucksKat

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi, everyone-

I feel weird, as my experiences have not been good with AD's. I also have Interstitial Cystitis, however, and Zoloft has caused a major flare of that bladder disease. Then, the dr. switched me to Loprexa, which many here do well with, but with IBS-C, it caused major IBS pain and GERD pain. I go back this afternoon, and I just know he is going to probably think, "what am I going to do with you, Kathy?" I do have anxiety issues, so I know I need something. I hope he can find something to help me that won't affect the diseases I have. I kinda feel I am the only one here who didn't do well with AD's. I am so happy that you all seem to, though. I would never begrudge anyone good days and better health. Have a good day, everyone!

Kathy S.

Re: BUMP For NEWBIES!!! new
      #113204 - 10/15/04 08:05 AM
heather7476

There has been alot of talk and questions from the new members so i thought i would bump this for them. Hope noone minds. Newbies or oldbies (is that even a word ) feel free to respond to anything in here!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: BUMP For NEWBIES!!! new
      #113673 - 10/17/04 09:36 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Hey guys! I just went on Lexapro a little while ago, haven't noticed it affecting my IBS yet(though I'm still upping the dose), but it unexpected helped my GERD a lot! Is that weird? Like I'm on Protonix, but I was still getting acid reflux almost everyday and I was really nervous that I was going to need surgery, and then I started the Lexapro and BAM, gone That'd be fantastic if it helped the IBS as well, guess I'll just have to wait and see.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: question about Effexor new
      #113678 - 10/17/04 11:03 PM

Unregistered

I used to be on Effexor. And any time I had a change in the dosage, I too got somewhat depressed and down. Which was odd b/c I didn't even have dpression to begin with. Just anxiety. Try riding it out for a few days and if it doesn't get better definitely speak to a Dr.

#118179 - 11/02/04 04:10 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Which antidepressant do you take?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#118200 - 11/02/04 04:31 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

not sure if this is directed at someone or a general question. I take 20mg citalopram.
Sinead

--------------------
S.

#121443 - 11/13/04 06:45 AM
Cathryn

Reged: 10/31/04

What do you take for gas that works? I am at a loss for finding something that works for me.

Cathryn new
      #121457 - 11/13/04 07:44 AM
heather7476

I take the genric form of extra strenghth gas x!! I buy the wal green's brand! I take two before dinner and three before bed!! It realy helps!! It may take a few days before you notice a differance though!!!
Hope this helps!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Casey, update on my Lexapro... new
      #121599 - 11/13/04 10:35 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I don't think I am doing well on it at all. I am having terrible anxiety, hives, food cravings. I just saw my doc the other day, I should not have gone in for the apt. because I was not having a good day mentally. I told him everything seems to be ok, when in all actuallity I was in an I just don't give a care state of mind. And, I really don't care, about anything, period. I am miserable, in need of a change, I guess I will call and ask for a change this week, nothing he could give me could put me in a worse state of mind. HOpe you are doing good. I feel like I am in the pits.

#121601 - 11/13/04 10:49 PM
stomachache

Reged: 11/13/04

Hello. I just joined this forum as I am new to this whole med thing. I just had a sigmoid and egd. My doc said it was gastritis. Basically, the issues with my stomach were pretty straight forward. I would eat something, and it would move through me in like 20-30 min. When i would go out and get nervous, i'd have a stomach ache and be paranoid about having to use the bathroom and get sick. Not all the time, but pretty often. My doc first put me on prevacid and bentyl. The bentyl worked great as i only made 1 bowel movement a day compared to like 3 or 4. It gave me tightness in my scrotum which was not cool. Anyways, he did the procedure, and said he feels it's more of a mental thing. He put me on 5mg of lexapro for this as he said it controls my brainwaves that trigger my stomach and will keep me from having stomach spasm's and having to go to the bathrom every 5 minutes. I have been on it for 3 days now, 1 tab in the morning. It makes me feel a bit dizzy/nautious, but he said that will go away. It has also started to make it a bit harder sexually in having orgasm and makes me go longer. It's definately not normal for me to feel this way sexually as i get like a resistance near orgasm. Anyways, i know this is a side effect for men with these types of drugs. I am not depressed, just the normal feeling down, stressed, etc type stuff. I do get a bit worked up at times and it causes me to have a stomach ache. I'm just not into feeling like i'm on a med as i never have before. I don't feel myself, but i hope it wears off. Please tell me what you think of this, how it's being treated. So far, i have noticed that i am not in the bathroom every 5 minutes, but i also am not into sexual side effects. Thanks and looking forward to some replies

On anti-psychotics...ARGH... new
      #121635 - 11/14/04 06:29 AM
lille_eskimit

Reged: 09/28/04
Loc: Blackpool / Preston, UK

I'm on an anti-depressant (setraline) myself, but it hasn't caused all that many problems apart from slight weight loss...However, I'm also on an anti-psychotic (Quetiapine), and I suspect it's making my C a lot worse!!!

Anyone taking the same medz and experiencing the same thing??

Wishing all happy colons,
Charme

--------------------
Cyber Residence <<< Make yourself at home!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 488 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56162

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review