All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anti-Depressant Question
      #107317 - 09/21/04 02:18 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Okay, so I've done a ton of searching on these boards and on the web, and can't seem to make up my mind on anti-depressants. I know that stress and anxiety plays a huge role in my IBS attacks, and my constant worrying and obsessive compulsiveness doesn't help either.

I'm nervous about asking my doctor for anti-depressants because I'm already convinced that he humors me with half the stuff I talk to him about. Don't get me wrong - he's a great doctor. He fully explains things to me, even though I know what's going on half the time (its the thought that counts! ).

I guess I'm just worried that he's going to tell me to go to a stress management class or something. I don't have the time or money to go, and I've tried the online class that my health care provider offers, but it hasn't worked either.

Any suggestions or how did those who are currently on anti-depressants ask their doctor?

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anti-Depressant Question new
      #107319 - 09/21/04 02:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was nervous about bringing it up with my doctor, too, but she was wonderful about it. My situation was a little different, in that I had already been seeing a therapist for a month or so, and she WAS trying to teach me coping techniques, but it just wasn't enough. So that's what I told my doctor (who already knew my diagnosis from the therapist from a previous visit). She went on to explain the differences between the various anti-anxiety/anti-depressants, and then recommended one (Lexapro), and explained why. And that was that.

If you know that stress and anxiety affects your IBS, and you know you worry all the time, you definitely have valid reasons for asking a doctor about meds. You can tell it to him just like that. You can also tell him that you tried a stress-management class - because you did, it's up to you if you want to say it was an online one - and that you feel like you need more help. I didn't go into details with my doctor, really, I just said, "I need faster relief for this than therapy can give me right now."

Good luck, if you decide to give it a try. The whole antidepressant experience is very fresh in my mind, because I just started mine on Sept. 1, so if you have any other questions, give a holler!

#107329 - 09/21/04 03:18 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

You might be surprised by how many of your doctors' patients are on them. I know a pharmacist and I once commented on how I didn't know how teachers deal with the stress and he replied quite seriously than many of them are on ADs!!

My point is not that they are a cure all but that it's a common thing to take them and it's worth a shot. The worst thing that can happen is it doesn't help you; the best is you feel better.

It can take several weeks for an AD to kick in so be patient. Also, the first you try might not work for you. I tried two before I found a winner.

I strongly recommend you ease into the med slowly. Ask for pills to start with and take a quarter pill and add another quarter every 3-4 days and then you work up to a full dose and move to capsules instead of pills. Same thing for going off. Cold turkey is a bad thing with these meds.

Good luck!!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#107331 - 09/21/04 03:24 PM
Jennifer Rose

Thanks Casey and Amo!

I actually struck up the nerve and called my health care provider to leave a message for my doctor, that way I could do it over the phone (easier!). The guy who took the message was great - when I explained what my question was, he goes, "Oh my sister is on antidepressants for her IBS and it helps her a lot." That made me feel lots better.

So hopefully the doctor will call me back before school starts tonight. Talking on the phone with him will be a lot easier.

Now convincing my boyfriend about them will be my next task..

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

#107332 - 09/21/04 03:26 PM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Ditto to what Casey said.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#107335 - 09/21/04 03:31 PM
amo616

Just ask him if he thinks that diabetics should be denied insulin!

IBS, depression, and anxiety all have physiological as well as mental foundations. It should be no more shameful to take medication for them than for a heart patient to take thinners or a diabetic to take insulin. The stigma associated with taking antidepressants is very unfair. My doctor says he is far more worried about his patients go off ADs than staying on them. They save a lot of s from s, and improve the quality of life for so many.

--------------------

Re: Sorry about all the missing words!! new
      #107336 - 09/21/04 03:33 PM
amo616

Our cybersitter program deletes words like blood and suicide! It drives me crazy!! I tried to say that ADs save a lot of people from offing themselves. There. It hopefully won't edit that.

--------------------

#107338 - 09/21/04 03:38 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

That what I did. I just called and left a message. She called back and said no problem hon, I want you feeling better. I hope it goes ok. Keep us posted.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

#107340 - 09/21/04 03:43 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Jen, I'm not on them. Tried Elavil (5 mg) for a while and it did nothing...

But if I were you, I'd go to the research library and print out all the documented info on it to take to your doc, especially the info about the seritonin being taken up mostly by the gut. It never hurts to have back up documented studies.

Kandee

--------------------

#107346 - 09/21/04 04:10 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I've been on Celexa for just over 2 weeks and have to say my IBS is SO MUCH better. I haven't had cramps in almost that amount of time and I have been having regular bm's too. The 2 spasmotics that I've tried did zip.

I think that IBS is so psycological in nature that an anti-depressant (even if you don't feel depressed) is a great idea.

Go for it! Just bring up the fact that certain AD's have a direct improvement in IBS symptoms. He or she should already know that.

Good luck!
----------------------------------------------------------

Read this:

Antidepressants

Your doctor may prescribe a low dose of antidepressants for IBS. This does not necessarily mean that you are depressed.

Antidepressants can block the brain's perception of pain in the gut, says Beth Schorr-Lesnick, MD, FACG, a gastroenterologist at Montefiore Medical Center in Bronx, N.Y.

There are different kinds of antidepressants, and doctors may choose one or the other, depending on whether you suffer from constipation-predominant IBS or diarrhea-predominant IBS.

For IBS patients with constipation, Schorr-Lesnick will sometimes prescribe small doses of SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressants such as Celexa and Paxil.

Other older antidepressants (called tricyclic antidepressants) tend to cause constipation. Doctors usually prescribe them for IBS patients with diarrhea. These drugs include Elavil, Pamelor, and Norpramine.

Re: Sara Sage new
      #107350 - 09/21/04 04:20 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I am so happy that your doing better. I have been on Zoloft fr a month now and while my mood is much better my IBS is only a little better. I am going to give it one more month and then maybe try something else.
YAHOOOOOOO for Sarah Sage.

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Sara Sage new
      #107355 - 09/21/04 04:29 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks again. It's funny, I don't think it's done much with my mood. That may take another 2-3 weeks but it seems to help block the pain in my gut.

Thanks for all your support!

Okay, so I got a prescription... new
      #107359 - 09/21/04 04:39 PM
Jennifer Rose

Sometimes I wonder about my doctor.

He called me back right away (he's great about that) and said he had no problem writing me a prescription and they might even help. I had mentioned that I had some friends who were on ADs for their IBS and he was asking what they were taking. Then told me he'd write me a low dose prescription for prozac and to call him at the end of the month to let him know how I was doing.

I sort of got the feeling like he was fishing around for information about how to go about prescribing it to me. I have a feeling that I'm his first severe IBS patient. Plan to pick up the prescription tomorrow, but do some more research on my own before taking them.

Thanks everyone for your advice! It helped a tons.

- Jen

--------------------
- Jennifer

#107362 - 09/21/04 04:44 PM
Sara-Sage

Great! Just remember there can be annoying side effects with any med and that they should be temporary and go away after your body adjusts.

Good luck!

#107403 - 09/21/04 06:28 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

The guy who took the message was great - when I explained what my question was, he goes, "Oh my sister is on antidepressants for her IBS and it helps her a lot." That made me feel lots better.

Wow, cool! Will wonders never cease?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#107474 - 09/22/04 02:21 AM
braceletmisfit

Reged: 09/21/04
Loc: Texas, United States

Hi Jennifer,

It's not abnormal a doctor would disregard a lot of the things you say but depression is fairly common these days. I don't think he would discredit you for bringing it up. I guess if he does you might want to think about taking it somewhere else? I'm not suggesting getting an entirely new doctor but perhaps someone that is more qualified in the field of psychological disorders.

The issue with Anti-Depressants is rather complicated. My primary care physcian didn't feel comfortable prescribing Anti-Depressants to me because at the time I was 13. He sent me to a psychiatrist because they would be able to monitor my progress along the way. Anyhow, I struggled with several different drugs before finding the right combination. I went on Luvox, Buspar, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, and Wellbutrin before finally ending up on Prozac. It's been 3 years and took that long before being able to tolerate a drug. Most of them flared up my IBS to the point where I wouldn't get out of bed. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of being on an anti-depressant!

Anyhow, hope this might give you a little bit more insight.

Take care!

--------------------
~~~~~~
Lauren
~~~~~~

#107667 - 09/22/04 03:46 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I didn't have to ask. I was having daily panic attacks for like a week so he says anxiety can sometimes be caused by depression & he suggested Zoloft. I didn't feel depressed or sad but he started me on them. I too thought he'd suggest therapy which I can't afford to do but he didn't. I'd had anxiety attacks like 15 yrs prior & was put on Xanax & went to therapy. I didn't feel the therapy did much at all for me. It was mostly relaxation tapes & visualization & the hypnosis tapes do the same thing for a lot less money. I had a crappy job & it was job stress that caused my problem at that time. The anxiety stopped when I quit the job & didn't rear it's head until now, & I don't know why, possibly menopause.

Why don't you just tell him that you belong to an IBS support group & lots of other people with IBS have been helped with antidepressants & you wondered if you could give it a try. If he says therapy, just say you can't afford it now.

Also, I hated the Xanax experience & really didn't want to take anything like that again, really hated the thought of going on any type of antidepressant again. When I started the Zoloft I was sick for 2 weeks (so be prepared) but after it kicked in good - probably a month in my case, I felt wonderfully calm, not drugged like Zantac, just calm. Things don't bother me like they used to & I keep thinking, God, this is the way a person is supposed to feel, I guess I never have before. I'd been a worry wort my whole life. Good luck & remember to be assertive with your doctor. I didn't like mine & switched from a male to a female doctor & I can talk to her like she's a friend.

#107691 - 09/22/04 06:24 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Lauren, welcome! That's a very pretty picture of you. I'm real sorry to hear that you have IBS at the age of 16, but I'm so glad you have it diagnosed and under treatment. And your reply about AD's was excellent. You really know what you're talking about! Hope you stick around cause you're a great addition to the message board. Why not start your own thread (click on Post above) to introduce yourself and get lots of great welcomes!!

See ya round!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review