All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Laurasue..I posted to you in another thread but it may be hard to find (m)
      #106787 - 09/19/04 06:39 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

so I'm posting here as well. I wanted to ask you about what you take for IBS. Do you take anti-anxiety medication? I didn't want to get started with this but your comment about diabetics needing medication for their lack made sense. If my body isn't doing something, then I may need some help. I am going to give up coffee/soda and see if that makes a difference. It's not worth it. I went 5 times today at work! I hate that. But I had a medium cup of coffee. I used to think it was what I ate the night before or the stress of going to work. It's not a stress type job but maybe my stomach thinks so! LOL! Anyway, we'll see how it goes. There are herbal teas I like. How about hot cocoa?

Also I wanted to say how sorry I am about your dad. Since my mom died early November (the day after Halloween) I went through my first Christmas right away without her. Now when the days get a little shorter and a little cooler, I forever think of my mom and her last days. But I guess it doesn't matter when someone you love dies, there will always be certain things you associate with their death. The main one for me is Halloween. My sons were actually at a school party the last night she was in the hospital and we all knew it was just a matter of hours. We held vigil with her. I got to say goodbye though and she knew we were all with her. She died of complications from Parkinsons disease. I saw her go from being a vibrant, active senior to basically housebound, not being able to eat or walk. It was so sad and that's when I started to really feel the symptoms of IBS. Anyway, sorry for rambling. I miss her so much.

Thanks for all your help!
Sandy

Thanks for your info!
Sandy0

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sandy -- meds are worth a try new
      #106799 - 09/19/04 08:15 AM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have been reading about the strong link between anxiety and IBS and I think medication is worth a shot. It can take a while for them to start working and it may take 2 or 3 tries to find the right one. I am on Effexor for anxiety and I know it helps the anxiety. I may even ask my dr. to up the dose to see if it helps with the IBS.

I find that ordinary daily stress gives me IBS. When I go away for a vacation, my IBS goes away. I come home, and it's back, and I feel like I have a pretty good life. It is pretty frustrating.

Also, follow the diet, it works!

good luck.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Laurasue..I posted to you in another thread but it may be hard to find (m) new
      #106831 - 09/19/04 12:26 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Sandy! First, thanks for the sympathy and the story about your mother. How long ago was that? My dad died in 97 but the recent death of an uncle has brought the feelings back again, together with the cooler weather as you mentioned.

Okay, meds! For IBS specifically I take a prescription antispasmodic called Bentyl (generic name dicyclomine). There are several other ones doctors use also. My doctor actually got after me for only taking it when I had an attack and told me to start taking it every day as a preventive. That was one of the key things that got me stable. And of course I take Imodium aggressively, at the least gurgle! And Gas-X every day as a preventive.

For anxiety, I take a prescription med called Xanax (generic name alprazolam). My anxiety is more closely related to my fibromyalgia but since fibro and IBS are both autonomic nervous system disorders, they overlap. I'm sure the Xanax is helping my IBS as well as my fibro. Again, I started out just taking it once in a while, then realized it helped so much that my doctor prescibed it as a daily med. Before Xanax, I hated leaving the apartment because I didn't feel safe. Now I just put on my shoes, grab my purse and leave, like a normal human being!!

And as I said before, I consider both these meds, as well as other meds and supplements I take, to be just something my body doesn't produce enough of on its own, like insulin for diabetics or calcium for strong bones.

Good for you for deciding to give up coffee and soda! You'll definitely feel a lot better. If you drink a lot of it, you may want to taper off gradually to avoid getting that nasty caffeine withdrawal headache. But if you only have one cup a day, you can probably quit cold turkey!

I love hot cocoa and cocoa powder is IBS safe as is sugar (although not waistline safe!), but remember that dairy is a trigger. I believe there are soy milks and rice milks that are chocolate flavored. You could just warm some up in the microwave and voila! Hot cocoa!

Keep up the good work, sweetie pie! And keep me posted on how you're doing, okay?!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks for your answers, now a few more questions (m) new
      #106896 - 09/19/04 07:09 PM
Sandyg

if you don't mind. First of all my mom died just last November 1st, so it hasn't been very long.

You mentioned Xanax for anxiety. Did you have anxiety before IBS or do you think because you have IBS you have anxiety? The reason I'm asking is I didn't have trouble with being anxious. I started having D attacks and then became anxious about going out or wondering when my next one would be. (far away from a bathroom!) So for me, it was brought on by my condition and now I fight to keep it under control. Being anxious about having an attack can actually bring on the attack! I'm sure you are aware of that!

My doctor didn't offer any other medications besides the one to take after an attack. IT's not an anti-spasmadotic. To me, that would make more sense. Something to prevent one not treat one.

Have you ever heard of the herb Valerian root for IBS? It's supposed to be an anti spasm thing and able to relax you.

Well that's about it. I'm glad you are stable and doing well. I'll get there I'm sure. Like I've said, it's not the D, it's just going so much. I took an immodium yesterday and haven't gone at all today. There are times I'd have that cup of coffee just so I'd go in the morning and get it over with. But sometimes, it would just continue. I guess I have to see how it goes without it and hopefully I'll get into a routine. Do you know if packaged hot cocoa is safe? My kids drink chocolate soy milk so I can use that for hot chocolate. But I like the convenience of having the packaged stuff at work and such.

Sorry for all the rambling!
Sandy

Re: Thanks for your answers, now a few more questions (m) new
      #106903 - 09/19/04 08:41 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Hi Sandy,

Pardon me for butting in here, but have you seen the hypno site? I can assure you that the program helps with the anxiety of worrying about possible accidents. Its really wonderful. Helps with general anxiety too!

I'm never comfortable with meds unless there really is no other way. I have to take blood pressure medication, but my body has to deal with several side effects. Seems to me every time you get on top of your problem (in my case blood pressure), your body requires another drug with side effects.

Any way, if you aren't trying hypno already, do consider it and read the 'success stories'.

Best regards,

Bev

#106925 - 09/20/04 04:52 AM
Sandyg

Thanks Bev,

I'm not one for medication either and try to do the natural route if I can. I've heard that meditation helps, I may look into it. I read the bible and wonder if meditating on psalms and some good ol proverbs might help also!

Thanks again!
Sandy

#106926 - 09/20/04 05:07 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Pardon me butting in too.

Packaged hot cocoa isn't good... it's got dairy in it.

As for valerian... I've mostly heard of it used as a sleep aid (I used to work in a GNC) and a sedative. I've never heard of it being an anti-spasmodic, but I guess it could be, if it's a general sedative. I found a pretty good summary of valerian here. Just use it with caution, if you decide to try it - it can make you *very* drowsy.

If you're looking for an anti-spasmodic, specifically, peppermint is the best one there is. Hot, very strong peppermint tea will work, but I've heard that the capsules work even better. (Sorry if this is something you're already doing... it's early for me and I have a lousy memory anyway!)

Ok... done butting in now. Well, for now.

#106954 - 09/20/04 08:52 AM
LauraSue

Thanks, Bev and Casey for your helpful posts! Sandy, I'll get back to you later today when I get over my migraine.

See ya then!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#106970 - 09/20/04 10:09 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

I do mean to butt in here! Meditating on the Bible is the best medication and meditation that can be done. This is my opinion for myself.

I have found much serentity in Psalms, very resting and comforting. I would continue with this - you want be sorry.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#107026 - 09/20/04 01:50 PM
LauraSue

Quote:

if you don't mind. First of all my mom died just last November 1st, so it hasn't been very long.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. The one year anniversary is especially tough. You might want to post on the Living Room board about it to get some virtual hugs and support, sweetie.

You mentioned Xanax for anxiety. Did you have anxiety before IBS or do you think because you have IBS you have anxiety? The reason I'm asking is I didn't have trouble with being anxious. I started having D attacks and then became anxious about going out or wondering when my next one would be. (far away from a bathroom!) So for me, it was brought on by my condition and now I fight to keep it under control. Being anxious about having an attack can actually bring on the attack! I'm sure you are aware of that!

Well, my anxiety didn't get real bad until my fibromyalgia flared up so much. But I don't think it really matters which came first. Xanax or other anti-anxiety meds will help no matter what the source of the problem.

My doctor didn't offer any other medications besides the one to take after an attack. IT's not an anti-spasmadotic. To me, that would make more sense. Something to prevent one not treat one.

Well, I don't know. I'm not a doctor and don't know your whole medical history. He may have had a reason for it. You can always ask him.

Have you ever heard of the herb Valerian root for IBS? It's supposed to be an anti spasm thing and able to relax you.

I have heard of Valerian root, but I'm not very knowledgable about it. The best natural anti-spasmodic is Heather's peppermint caps. I can't take them because I have GERD but they really help a lot of people here, including Heather herself!

Well that's about it. I'm glad you are stable and doing well. I'll get there I'm sure. Like I've said, it's not the D, it's just going so much. I took an immodium yesterday and haven't gone at all today. There are times I'd have that cup of coffee just so I'd go in the morning and get it over with. But sometimes, it would just continue. I guess I have to see how it goes without it and hopefully I'll get into a routine. Do you know if packaged hot cocoa is safe? My kids drink chocolate soy milk so I can use that for hot chocolate. But I like the convenience of having the packaged stuff at work and such.

As Casey said, the packaged mixes contain dairy. Could you take a single serving pak of the chocolate soy milk to work and heat it up in a cup in the microwave?

Sorry for all the rambling!
Sandy

I'm happy to help, Sandy!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thanks Laurasue (m) new
      #107262 - 09/21/04 12:20 PM
Sandyg

for answering my questions.

I hope your headache went away!

I'm sure you're right, what difference does it make when anxiety came...it's there right? I woke up today having to go a lot. It might because I didn't go yesterday. Anyway, was going down to see a friend and felt like I had to yet again. I thought I was going to have an accident but I started breathing very slowly and it went away. Again at her house, it started and I just breathed real slowly and it went away. I actually didn't have to go! It was my mind telling me I did and making my body react. I guess this whole thing will take some time but I'm going to beat it!

Thanks for all your help.

I'm not looking forward to the sad anniversary. These months are filled with lots of them.

Sandy

Re: Thanks Laurasue (m) new
      #107287 - 09/21/04 12:55 PM
LauraSue

Sandy, you're very welcome. That's so great about the deep breathing helping so much! good for you!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3438 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review