All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about acupucture
      #106089 - 09/15/04 03:26 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I was wondering if any of you out there have tried acupucture to help with your IBS. My trainer suggested that I try that but of course my insurance doesn't cover it. Though I am going to try and see if I can find someone who does it pretty resonably priced. He thought it might help with my IBS.

I also wanted to update everyone on my progress so far no attacks and it will be three weeks this coming Sunday. I hope I make it. I really want to go for a month. I almost made it once and then well I guess I ate something that didn't agree with me.

I have also decided its time to see a counslor. I have gone through a lot in these last two years and my trainer suggested that I go see one. I really haven't talked to anyone but him and I guess I really can't get alot out with him and just need to get stuff off of my chest. Of course the biggest thing is having this stupid IBS. I told my trainer last night that I hate having this. Its just about the worse thing anyone could have. I mean you can't go into a restaurant without feeling a sense of dread because you don't know if you can eat the food that is their. Then there is the food that I really miss, like real ice cream, cheese, milk and having a soda every now and then. Sometimes I just want to know what did I do to deserve this (I know that we all probably ask this).

Well sorry to go on and on, but just needed to get things off of my chest. I do hope to hear back from someone about acupucture if they have tried it or not.

--------------------
Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about acupucture new
      #106121 - 09/15/04 08:20 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, Mitch:

I have not tried acupuncture, but my GI mentioned it as a possibility. It's mentioned in Heather's book as well, so if you can find it at a decent price, it's worth a try!

Congrats on your three weeks without D--and deciding to see a counselor! I hope that that will help to improve both your IBS and your life in general!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#106192 - 09/16/04 08:09 AM
Mitch

Thanks for the response. Yes I am going to look into acupuncture and hope I can find someone who doesn't charge an arm and a leg. I sure wish our insurance would cover it but of course not.

Yes I think the counslor will help alot I am still waiting to hear from my work benefits office as we can get free sessions through work. I hope to hear from someone today so I can get started next week.

Thanks again for the response.

--------------------
Michelle

#107611 - 09/22/04 01:15 PM
nesslmatt

Reged: 05/14/04

Hi Mitch,
I've been mostly C since as long as I can remember with terrible D during high stress times. The past month has been very stressful so I've been having a lot of pain and D. I was at my wits end when I met someone in acupuncture school. I talked to her about it a lot and finally broke down and made an appt with someone she recommended. My first appointment was 12 days ago and I am happy to report I have been without pain, D or C since. It has been a blessing for me, so I would recommend giving it a try.

Since going, I have talked to a lot of people about it and most have had success. The people it didn't work for thought maybe it was the person doing it. My advice would be to ask around for a recommendation from someone you know. Also, my insurance doesn't cover it but my acupuncturist offers an insurance discount, so that might be an option for you too. My understanding is that it is not something I will be doing every week for the rest of my life, but 1 or 2 sessions a year which seems totally worth it. You should see a change after the first session so you really don't have too much to lose if it doesn't work. Good luck!

#107669 - 09/22/04 03:53 PM
Mitch

Thanks for the response and I am really looking into it. I am hoping that it will help not only the IBS but the gerd as well. I am still looking to find one who is good but not to expensive. That is a good idea about finding someone who has had it done but so far I haven't found anyone here where I live who has had it done. I am just going to have to call around and hope I find a good one. Thanks again.

--------------------
Michelle

#124357 - 11/21/04 02:04 PM
SD_IBS

Reged: 11/21/04

I've been doing acupuncture for about 2 months now and have not had ANY IBS attacks...I strongly recommend it.

One thing to keep in mind about the cost...at least in my case I started out going about 2 times per week but am now down to once every other week or so. At first I could not get the acupuncturist to give me an idea of how often I would need treatmet which was very frustrating, especially when you need to budget for it and schedule in advance (this office in only open during business hours). However I realize now they kind of have to see how your body responds to the treatment and then take it one treatment at a time. But just in terms of the finanical burden - I think you will need to go more frequently at first, and then space it out much more...might be a good thing to ask "Santa" to help with this year! But if you can manage it, it is WELL worth it. I sometimes think just taking the time to go for treatments is like meditation and you would already be getting some benefit from that...

One other suggestion - if you live in an area where there is an acupuncutre school, they often offer discounted treatments...at least here in Southern California that is an option!

#124365 - 11/21/04 02:24 PM
ivy

Reged: 03/31/04

Mitch, I started acupunture and the IBS hypnosis program at about the same time, so I'm not sure whether my improvement is from the acupuncture or the hypnosis (or both). The key difference that I have noticed is a reduction in feelings of stress and anxiety, which helps keep my gut calmer. I haven't had the dramatic results that some others have had, but I have had IBS for a long time (10 years), so it might take a little more time.

I'd recommend trying everything that you can to see what might help you. You've probably seen on this site that there isn't one formula that works for everyone.

My insurance doesn't cover it either, but I have used a Health Care Flexible Spending Account through my company's benefits to plan for the cost. You might want to check with your company benefits rep to learn more about pros/cons of handling it this way.

Good luck!

#124473 - 11/21/04 07:10 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Hello - sorry I didn't respond sooner - finally got to the boards after a long weekend. I have been going to accupuncture for a couple weeks now - the last visit kicked in and finally helped - lol. It might take longer for me because I had gastric bypass, although my accupunctur-ist doesn't think so. I am going again tomorrow for a shiatsu massage plus the accupuncture. My insurance does not cover it, but, they do give me a 10% discount. My first visit was a consult for 1 1/2 hours. Eastern medicine "believes" that it is what happened in your life that has made you sick - IBS. Hey if accupuncture can heal it..so be it! Where I go they want to treat you - healing you as a whole, not just what is wrong specifically. Speaking frankly..the initial visit was $150 for the consult, $60 for the accupuncture. Chinese herbs that I have recieved were $15 and the one I got two weeks ago was $20. I couldn't take them...the most disgusting gas/bloating..my husband and even the kids were freaking out! I don't know if it was the herbs or just from my re-routed stomach - lol. Won't purchase them again. I did by from them a book on meditation and also a tape. I don't really care for the man that is narrating it though. I will stick with it and update. I am feeling more calmer and hopeful - not helpless, after my last visit last week. I am hoping for more visits like the last one. I think it is who does the treatment...as my brother and father went to another one and it did not work at all.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review