All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What did I eat for 8 mon to stay IBS-D free without cooking??!! Part 2 Proteins and Restaurant Meals
      #105770 - 09/14/04 07:57 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

PROTEINS:
-Chicken, chicken and more chicken! (White meat only of course). The roasted chickens at grocery stores or takeout places are a good source. Also takeout steamed chicken from Chinese restaurants. Some frozen entrees if other ingredients look safe.
-Canned tuna, LOTS of canned tuna (packed in water).
-Sardines as an occasional treat (yes, they're packed in oil, but it's "good" oil and you can blot some of it off.) (BTW, sardines on saltines with yellow mustard is "Midwestern Sushi"!)
-Egg whites in smoothies or scrambled (the one thing I do cook) or baked in microwave (in small glass dish with salt, pepper, my trusty onion powder and herbs).
-Nuts and beans of course as discussed in section on insolubles.
-Peanut butter! Lots and lots of peanut butter. But only with a lot of soluble fiber and only 1 TBSP per meal to make sure the total fat content of the meal is not too high. PBJ sandwiches are one of my staples!

RESTAURANTS:
-Key concept is "lowfat, no red meat, no dairy."
-Bread instead of appetizer
-Only eat HALF of entree (take the rest home)
-NO DESSERT!
-Plain grilled chicken breast
-Grilled chicken sandwich (another of my staples)
-Plain pasta, tomato sauce on the side
-Plain grilled fish such as tuna, salmon or flounder
-SHRIMP!
-Crab cakes (my weakness)
-Lobster (but no drawn butter)
-Rice, baked potato
-More bread
And did I say, NO DESSERT!!

SWEETS:
Generally I stay away from them in order to maintain a healthy weight. I keep cravings under control by allowing myself one small piece of chocolate a day but only after a meal, not on an empty stomach. That and the Carr's cookies and lowfat granola bars I mentioned in the solubles list keep me satisfied.

Happy Eating!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What did I eat for 8 mon to stay IBS-D free without cooking??!! Part 2 Proteins and Restaurant Meals new
      #105802 - 09/14/04 11:01 AM
LauraSue

bump for lithelady!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: What did I eat for 8 mon to stay IBS-D free without cooking??!! Part 2 Proteins and Restaurant Meals new
      #105813 - 09/14/04 12:06 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

Hi LS--great info- thanx much for posting and sharing--I have a question--besides the obvious fat content-what is the issue with red meat? For me, I seem to do well on it everytime I go back to eating it (very rarely though--no pun intended!!)--what gives with that? I am anemic and the red meat has the most absorable iron--can you help me understand a bit more? Thanks
carol

#105853 - 09/14/04 03:33 PM
LauraSue

Hi, Carol!

Okay, two things. The problem with red meat is that the protein molecules are actually bigger and heavier and harder to digest and thus trigger our gastro-colic reflex, resulting in C or D. The fact that you SEEM to be okay with it could be due to one of two things. Either your IBS is still mild enough you can get away with it up til now (which could change the very next time you have it!), or the effect isn't happening until a day or two later so you're not connecting it with the red meat. That happened to me with alcohol. I wouldn't react at the time but it would set me up for an attack within the next day or two.

Now, as far as iron deficiency and anemia, there was a thread about that a couple months ago. I think Mags was one of the poster. Do a search and you should find a bunch of posts. Then post a message for Mags if you have any other questions.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#105897 - 09/14/04 07:14 PM
ibsfla

Reged: 06/30/04

thanks for all the info--I am sure you are right--but it is hard to tell what the trigger is when I can eat everything right on the diet and still have the same symptoms as if I was not following the diet...then have red meat, and seemingly be fine--a never ending challenge to find the answer--going to a Rheumatologist tomorrow-will see if she comes up with anything "interesting"==thanks again!

#106043 - 09/15/04 01:08 PM
LauraSue

You're welcome, Carol. It sure is difficult. Good luck with the doctor!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#349460 - 08/25/09 07:43 PM
LindaKay

Reged: 08/24/09
Loc: Texas

I have just been diagnosed with IBS after having suffered for 40 years. I have ordered both of Heather's books and they aren't here yet, so I'm learning everything I can on the message boards. I'm very glad to know I can PB&J sandwiches. I am coffee free today and no sodas either. Those are big steps for me, but it is worth it. Today has been much better. I'm also cutting out artificial sweeteners. Thanks for a great post for this Newbie... [color:purple] [/color] :)

#364174 - 04/08/11 10:01 AM
ngarcia1031

Reged: 04/08/11

Is it true that peanut butter hardens the bowls?? For us sufferers with constipation IBS??? I love peanut butter but someone told me this and now I am leary of it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 606 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11463

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review