All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Celiac testing new
      #105490 - 09/13/04 08:48 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

maybe you should try that. I know a woman who wasn't diagnosed correctly until her 50's! Also what kind of Rice Milk are you drinking and does it have carageen in it? It is a thickner that is natural but I know I need to eat very little of it or totally avoid it, it kills my gut. Did you have all the fun gastro tests?

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What would you do? new
      #105491 - 09/13/04 08:48 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Rice milk ALWAYS makes me ill and soy milk does too to some extent. Rice milk also made my partner have d, even though she doesn't have IBS! I thought I was the only one that this affected!! I can eat ice-cream now, but didn't used to be able to. Try making stewed apple and putting a bit of soy ice-cream on it so it warms up and melts a bit, that seems to work for me.

Glad you are feeling better. If you can have spices try vietnamese food - pad thai is great, so are the soups and rice paper rolls with prawns or chicken are gorgeous. You can make them yourself too. You can also make great rice by blitzing a whole loadof fresh herbs (coriander, mint etc) with pine nuts and a bit of chicken stock, then mixing with your rice/pasta like a kind of pesto. Works well with rocket or spinach too. Also try baking fish in a foil parcel with a little bit of truffle oil or lemon thyme - it's gives it a luxorious flavour but isn't enough to make you ill. Great with salmon or trout fillets.

Good luck!!

#105492 - 09/13/04 08:48 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Thanks for the response. I know I might be able to tolerate them again someday... after all, I had to give up soy products for the longest time, and now I can eat them again, so maybe it's just a matter of time. Thanks for the reminder!

How the heck have you been, anyway? Still busy like crazy? Feeling good? We miss your smiling face around here!

Re: Celiac testing new
      #105495 - 09/13/04 08:58 AM
atomic rose

I haven't had all the tests yet, but I'm in the process of getting properly diagnosed. Like I said, I really doubt it's celiac - if it were, wouldn't ALL wheat products bother me? Like bread, pasta, and crackers? I eat all of those just fine. I was stable on such things until a couple weeks ago, when I started taking an antidepressant.

I use Rice Dream enriched vanilla, which doesn't contain carageenan. I'm not sensitive to food additives like that, or MSG, anyway. Thank goodness.

#105507 - 09/13/04 10:02 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Casey -
I can't tolerate the Enriched stuff because of the calcium in it!!! Try plain instead of vanilla, and try the original instead of the enriched. Just a suggestion!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#105516 - 09/13/04 10:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I wish it were that simple. I took gluten out for 2 monhs and it didn't do the trick because I was still eating other trigger foods....once I took out sugar AND gluten I was able to see that gluten was a major no-no......buit when you have more than one trigger food in your life, it gets confusing.

Maykeep a food diary and eat things seperate. Or try removing things you think MIGHT be a trigger and then add one thing in at a time slowly and see how your bod does. Or if you have no patience for all this anymore--just go and get tested.

All of these food issues are tricky and sneaky. I've been ill since I was 4 or 5 with stomach issues! I am just now at 25 getting things a little clearer (still fuzzy tho!)

I hope this all makes sense. If you want more info. on celiac....check out celiac.com.

If you decide you want to eliminate gluten to see if that's part of the problem, let me know and you'll let you know how to get started.

Best of luck....hope you feel better soon!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Darn..... new
      #105537 - 09/13/04 11:07 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Casey,

Sorry you are having problems. Do you think it could be your body is reacting differently now because of the anti-depressant? Also, didn't you just re-start your SFS? Could it have something to do with that?

If you are talking about ready made pastries at the grocery store, I can't tolerate those either. A lot of them have HFCS & other added preservatives. The only thing I can eat is some of the Little Debbie snack cakes....but not all of them.

Maybe just try and stick with the foods that are "really" safe for you like pasta & bread for a little longer till this bad spell passes.

Hugs
Barbie

--------------------

Yeah... new
      #105543 - 09/13/04 11:16 AM
atomic rose

I'm going to have to go back to just eating chicken, pasta, potatoes, and toast for a while, I guess. How boring!

No, the baked goods I can't tolerate are Heather's recipes! Homemade stuff! Every time I try a recipe, it gives me D, so I chuck it in the freezer and the boyfriend eats it eventually. *He's* gaining weight just fine, but I'm the one who needs it!

I haven't tried any of the recipes in a couple months, actually, but I think I'm going to hold off for a few more weeks, till I'm sure my body's adjusted to the AD's... I really think that might be part of the problem.

Hugs!

Carageenan.... new
      #105547 - 09/13/04 11:34 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I absolutely CAN'T eat anythign with carageenan in it.. thats my latest newfound trigger.. and I have only found one brand of rice or soy milk without it so far- rice dream and soy dream.. at 3 stores.. one of which is my local HFS.... haven't tried whole foods yet or trader joes.. they are on the other side of town... but I can't imagine there being more brands then our Meijers, Kroger and Arbor Farms carry since the 2 bigger stores have very large health food sections.. Kroger has an entire aisle of alternative milks, but nothing other then those 2 (including nut milks) was without carageenan... and it gave me horrid D and cramping without a long lag after drinking it...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#105571 - 09/13/04 12:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

It sounds like a hidden allergy or intolerance to me. the honeycomb - is that a corn product? What about rice? Although it's rare, it's possible. I'm just wondering if there's some common thread here. It might be helpful to try a food diary for a few days. SEe if there's a common thread. Also, try the rice milk at room temp or warmed. See if there's a difference.
I'm glad you're feeling at least a bit better??>!
HUgs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2907 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37031

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review