All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
What was your worst IBS attack like?
      #10543 - 06/02/03 08:20 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I have two that are running neck and neck, vying for the worst. One was many yrs ago, at my inlaws house. I didnt yet know that certain foods triggered IBS, and I ate something they made (they tend to make greasy, unhealthy food, which is why I dont visit them anymore.)

I felt the stabbing pains coming on, and asked if I could go lie down upstairs. 30 mins later, It Really Began. I kept running to the bathroom tohave the runs, alternating with turning green and heaving with threatened vomiting. Finally after an hr of this, I collapsed on the bed and the pains started again. My husband came up then and I was temporarily insane...I wanted to do ANYTHING to make it stop..I grabbed the window curtain and God help me I wanted to jump out and die. That was in 1993 and I will never forget that one.

The second worst was in a shopping mall after Christmas in, I think, 2000. That was the 2 hour public bathrm experience from Hell that forced me to FINALLY do something! I waited the attack out, dealt with it as best I could in a publ bethrm with ppl banging on the door wanting to know when I would be done (argh)...I marched across to Waldenbooks, asked for ANY books about IBS, and found Heather's book. I sat down in the mall to read it and learned what I now look back on as my moment of truth: high fat foods will be the main trigger. That day I cut out high fat foods and began smaller portions, and have not had an attack since. I also do other things like exercise, drink plenty of water, dont eat late at night, etc

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What was your worst IBS attack like? new
      #10549 - 06/02/03 09:16 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I think my worst occurred last summer...all I can remember clearly is having eaten something for dinner the night before that would have been very healthy for anyone without IBS: a green salad with either salmon or with tofu-filled ravioli on top (I had attacks both mornings after those two meals). I remember feeling absolutely pinned to the bed upstairs with nausea and in so much pain I couldn't sit up. I think I had D too, but what I always remember is the pain I was in. Now of course I look back on all the "healthy" meals I cooked and think: no WONDER that made me ill! But I didn't know then. I still cringe at the thought of salmon, and I doubt I'll ever be able to eat a Nasoya salad dressing again, though I can eat a little bit of salad after meals now. It helps that the salad is out of our garden and my mom picks and washes it so I don't have to think too hard about its being lettuce or spinach I'm eating....

#10555 - 06/02/03 11:22 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

My worst attack ever was the one that made me finally deal with what was happening to me. I was in London for the day to go shopping with my parents and sister and to see a West End show in the afternoon. I had on tight trousers, and we went for lunch which entailed of cream of mushroom soup,then a club sandwich with lots of mayo and fries. Straight away I started to need the loo, and we had to walk to the theater(which is something I notice a lot of people like, walking off a meal, but I find I have to sit down for a while after or I end up in pain).As everyone was finding their seats (and we had great seats!) I kept going to the toilet and taking my imodium but nothing worked. I ended up spending 2 hours in the disabled toilet at the back of the theater, missing most of the show, sitting on the floor when I could get off the toilet, taking 8 imodium and phoning my husband on my cell phone in tears. I seriously thought I was never going to be able to leave that toilet to go home!
Well, I did get home and it spurred me on to go to the docter's. I realised that I had done everything wrong as regards to triggers, and I'd also been constipated for about a week before so that didn't help.
I'm sorry this has been so long, but it was a really defining point for me as regards my health, and I know you lot will understand better then most!LOL!!

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#10579 - 06/03/03 06:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

When I was a kid, the pain and nasuea got so bad--and sometimes the gas was so bad--I would throw up from the pain! I remember rolling on the floor--literally--in agony. My rents just told me to get up off the floor--they totaly didn't get it (they thought I did this for attention)! It was awful!!!!! Not only was I in TREMENDOUS PAIN--I was being told it was all in my head. I remember being nauseous and being made to go to school--my parents again thinking me a hypochondriac!

This year I had SUCH a bad attack...I couldn't get up off the floor and my husband and I were crying! It was awful! The heating pad didn't help, moving around didn't help--finally I asked my hubby to describe several yoga poses to me from a book I have, and I made the poses/movements my own, and I began to release the gas and feel relief. What a nightmere though!

I also had hemmorhoids as a kid from the constipation and my doc warned me that if I didn't eat enough fiber--from foods--I would get stomach cancer (I was like 8)! I tried his diet to no avail--and to more pain.

I think the worst part of it all was being alone. No one seemed to beieve my pain was real. I'm SO THANKFUL I found this board--now I know I'm not alone!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#10580 - 06/03/03 06:15 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

My worst was as a teen, I was at a friend's house and having a terrible time, ended up in the bathroom forever and sweating and wanted so bad to ask someone to bring me a fan and something cold to drink so I wouldn't faint, but I was too embarrassed. But then I felt certain I was going to throw up but was afraid to get up off the toilet, so I threw up in their bathtub! Tried to clean it up myself, but of course they come to check, I mean it's not everyday someone comes to your house and starts running the bathtub while using the bathroom. They were pretty nice about it, but I was so humiliated!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#10601 - 06/03/03 10:49 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Ok, I have several bad attacks. One I don't think I could post publically on a message board, I was 8 or 9 and it still upsets me to this day. I don't mind talking about it to people but it's really really embarrassing. Here's what sent me to doctor finally.

A coworker was getting married and we threw her a bridal shower/bachlorette party. The party was on the otherside of town, at least a 45 minute drive from my house. I was fine at the shower but when we got ready to leave for the bachlorette party, I decided I better head home. 20 minutes into the drive I realized I needed to go. It was late and the bathroom situation was limited, I also have a thing with public restrooms, so I turned around to go to the office. Our office building was open 24 hours a day because we had a dispatch center in it. A nice clean personal public toilet. I was sweating soo bad, I had chills, the pain was so bad I could barely breathe so I had to do the lamaze breathing. I started having heart palpitations. All I could think about was I am going to have a heat attack on the toilet like older people. I worked for an EMS company so I was wondering if I should go into the dispatch center and get them to send me an Ambulance. I waited around for a while chit chatting and making up excuses as to why I was up there at midnight. Luckily I waited because it happened again. Then after I thought the coast was clear I headed home for the 40 minute drive taking the path most of the truck drivers took so I could have truckstops. I made it home.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: What was your worst IBS attack like? Anniversary dinner new
      #10768 - 06/04/03 07:00 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

My boyfriend had taken me away for the weekend for our three year anniversary. On the Saturday we hiked in the morning and then spent the afternoon in the spa drinking champagne. We headed out to dinner and I was already feeling a little crampy so I ordered a simple pasta. Two bites in my stomach revolted and I had to interrupt the incredibly romantic conversation to go and vomit in the loos. I had all the symptoms - chills, cramps, cold sweats, generally not wanting to be there. Anyway, this happened a few more times and we headed home, not to spend the night celebrating our wonderful life together, but to me crying in pain & frustration for most of the night.

Heather's diet guidelines have made an enormous difference to my life. I'm also finding the hypnotherapy's really helping.

Our 4th year anniversary's next month, cross fingers that it pans out a bit differently!

#250914 - 03/08/06 09:18 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

There's a couple.
#1 New Years Eve, teenager, friends house, an entire bottle of Martinellis, enough said.

#2 Long before I was diagnosed I spent an entire year of highschool with horrible explosive D every single day. And I mean the whole year-9 months. My father never noticed anything was wrong and my mother yelled at me because I went through Immodium too fast. So there is the physical pain of D every day and the emotional pain of being dismissed by my parents and never seeing an end. I had never even heard of IBS. I had no idea about anything. It was a couple years later when I realized it was food that was setting me off and started trial and error. So the worst was actually a year long. Oi! The things we go through.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#250960 - 03/09/06 06:35 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

There are 2 that come to mind.
Looking back I realize now that I went through a period in my IBS when I had D. I remember going out with the girls one night & thought I'd try a Fuzzy navel. I don't drink but sips, so I thought nothing of it. Especially cuz I didn't know it was a trigger. Anyways I took maybe 3 gulps, & threw the rest out. On the way home, mabey an hour later, I feel it coming on, like bad. We were in my friends car, & I'm like, "I need to ge to a bathroom, NOW" . I remember trying to hold it back. I actually almost had an accident in her car. She got me to a restaraunt, & I made it, but I'll never forget that. She came in later to see if I was ok, I was, but I told her she could leave cuz I knew it had to stink pretty bad.

The other one was just a month or so ago. I took some Zantac 150, cuz I woke up with acid in my throat, the night before I had a rice cake just before bed, (bad idea)& I ate a Wheat bagel in the morning, which never did anything before, but I had been eating them everyday, so after I went in the morning, I got cramps, wich happens every now & again. Well then every time I went to sit, they came back even stronger. They put me to tears, I've never had pain like that before. I'm sooo done with wheat bagels.
Live & learn, right?

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#251023 - 03/09/06 09:02 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I have a few that come to mind.
My dad wasn't diagnosed with IBS per se, all he knew is as a kid he couldn't eat chocolate, and as a kid both parents thought it was just a lot of bad luck with food poisening or the 24 hour flu.
The first really really bad one, was when we moved for the first time. I spent 13 years in the one house and didn't want to move. The stress made me soo ill with D that I was running to the bathroom damn near every hour and the worst part was, the toilet couldn't be flushed otherwise it would overflow (apparently tree roots got into the pipes but we didn't know that until we moved in) that was one of the worst nights of my life.

The second time was a couple years ago. My now fiance and I were living together in this nice townhouse and his female friend from highschool moved in with us to help us with the rent. She didn't like me much, and well.. I can have times where if another woman is all over my guy infront of me.. it causes stress.. Everytime i knew she was home I could feel my stomach drop. I was sick with D for a month straight. I couldn't even keep toast in my system. There was only 1 bathroom in the house and there is nothing worse than being horribly ill right after someone has a hot steamy shower, in the middle of a 30C heatwave, no a/c, and a really strong colonge... I thought i was going to die from the heat and the pain. To this day the smell of axe deoderant or spray makes me sick.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1459 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11557

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review