All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
not feeling well........
      #105406 - 09/13/04 05:59 AM
pcgeek43505

Reged: 01/12/04

Im in a groove of getting sick every other day...... my mom wont make an appointment with my doctor to see if there is something wrong with me, and when i stay out of school..... she just gets mad at me and it makes it worse, i have missed around 5 days in the past 2-3 weeks and i only have 10 days to miss a year in school and i dont know what to do!
Is there any way to get out of this groove?

--------------------
"We just do what we do. This is the only way we know how to do it." -- David Draiman of DISTURBED

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: not feeling well........ new
      #105407 - 09/13/04 06:05 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

wow. I am so sorry. What is your mums reason for not making you a doctors appointment? does she not believe you have ibs?
what are you eating? what are your symptoms?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#105409 - 09/13/04 06:11 AM
pcgeek43505

she knows i have IBS because i went to the doctor.... she just says they wont do anything for me, thats always her reason. I know they can put me on something atleast to try. My symptoms are the day i feel good i dont have a bm and the next day around 9-10am i just get really sick and start using the restroom unless on saturday which is around 1-2pm. I felt fine for around 5 months at the end of last year and beggining of this year until i went on vacation this summer..... i got sick and have been bad ever since.

--------------------
"We just do what we do. This is the only way we know how to do it." -- David Draiman of DISTURBED

#105410 - 09/13/04 06:16 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

what do you eat on a typical day?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#105414 - 09/13/04 06:23 AM
pcgeek43505

on mon-fri i have a blue berry muffin, chicken sandwich for lunch..... sometimes fries, and for supper, it matters on whats cooked, normally something with beef, sometimes chicken. I have started drinking water but every once in a while i have to have a sprite because i love the taste.

--------------------

#105418 - 09/13/04 06:29 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

It's hard to say without knowing all your symptoms. Have you tried eating the safe foods & staying away from triggers? Do you take Imodium? You might want to try it as a preventative before you get "D".
Keep a food diary and try to figure out what you eat on the bad days that could be causing this.

I think the doc could help you, too. Why don't you give it another try and ask your mom to take you. You might mention that a lot of the people on the boards are helped by meds. You certainly don't want to miss too much school. Are you old enough to go to the doc by yourself?

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

#105420 - 09/13/04 06:34 AM
pcgeek43505

my symptons are dull pains in my belly, it hurts more when im using the restroom then it stops for about 5 minutes then it does it again. Most of the time its just D unless its a week like this one. Imodium makes me like this, but im not taking any meds. I think mine is more stress related because i get sick in school more than i do at home and when i come home early, i feel a lot better really fast.
At one point... when i first started the diet i felt really good then stopped it and felt better than ever for the next 5 months. i was having normal BMs and everything.

--------------------

Edited by pcgeek43505 (09/13/04 06:36 AM)

#105429 - 09/13/04 06:46 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sounds a lot like this is stress related. Is there anything at school that is bothering you? A teacher you don't like, etc. If so, can it be fixed or changed to make things less stressful. I have a nephew that is 14 and can't tolerate PE because of panic attacks. He was missing a lot of school because of this. They got him changed from PE to working in the office and he is fine now.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#105430 - 09/13/04 06:55 AM
pcgeek43505

I only have to take one year of Wellness (PE) and i did that last year when i was in 9th. I like most of my teachers..... they are all really nice. I get sick in a class i like a lot, Media Concepts. And when i get sick in that class, i miss the class i love the most, Computer Architecture. Im not sure, my attacks seem to randomly hit me, but i get sick a lot more at school.

--------------------

#105431 - 09/13/04 06:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble! Ask your Mum again about the doctor - there are so many medications that you can try, it is worth the visit!

in the meantime, how about you try a little harder with the diet. Try and avoid those fries and ask your Mum to make you low-fat stuff with chicken not beef.

Do you take a soluble fibre supplement? Diet and a supplement can really make a difference to IBS. I'd suggest you sit down with your Mum and try and have a talk about your IBS. She can really help you by buying and cooking safe foods and limiting how much bad stuff there is available to you at home (temptation is easier to resist if it's not right in front of you! ). Why don't you ask her if she'll have look at Heather's information on the website?

Good luck!

#105436 - 09/13/04 07:05 AM
pcgeek43505

I have noticed one thing. The days i get sick, i can tell im going to be sick and i tell my mom and that makes her mad because she thinks im faking it. And when i go to the clinic, im scared they are going to make me stay at school even though i feel so bad. And then my mom gets mad at me when i stay home and when i come home early, but as i tell her "I cant always control when i get sick. Shes mad today because im not feeling good but im going to make a list of stuff for her to buy.

--------------------

#105451 - 09/13/04 07:41 AM
pcgeek43505

now moms not very pleased because i was on the computer and that i asked her to buy "safe" foods instead of stuff i cant have.
"I'm not going to buy safe foods for all of us; You should be able to control what you eat." and "How many lists of safe foods do you have to go through until you actually stick to one." and "The doctor isnt going to do anything but say eat whats on the list."
After she said that it made me mad and got me feeling worse. I just dont know what to do.

--------------------

#105456 - 09/13/04 07:55 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Oh my gosh I feel so bad for you. That really sucks that your mom doesn't understand your stomach problems and won't buy you safe foods. Maybe if you sit her down and explain to her that you are serious about the way you are feeling and will be committed to following this diet plan, to see if it helps you get better. Obviously it takes work on your part too...like avoiding those fries at lunchtime if you think they could be the culprit.

Maybe if your mom sees that you are totally serious about sticking to a plan, then she will be able to support you more. Could you possibly talk about the diet with your doctor and ask him or her to talk to your mom about helping you with it?

Also, is there a reason she doesn't want you to try any medications? Does she know that they have the potentional to help your stomach?

Please though, don't feel bad about making other people mad, your stomach problems are very real and spending time worrying about what others think like you said, will make you feel that much worse!!
If you need any other help please let us know

#105457 - 09/13/04 07:56 AM
pcgeek43505

My family isnt very supportive of my IBS at all. The only person who doesnt get mad at me when im sick is my Aunt and my Step-dad. I think i get sick because im scared to get sick and have to hear what my mom and grandmother say to me.

--------------------

#105459 - 09/13/04 08:00 AM
pcgeek43505

i dont know, its like, i get sick more than anyone else that goes to my school. Its hard for me, considering what has been around to eat all my life. Also, she just never likes taking me to the doctor, never figured out why..... i just wish there was something i could do to completely fix it cause im sick of hearing her yell at me for being sick.

--------------------

#105467 - 09/13/04 08:10 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Ugh, poor you! Have you explained to your mom how her yelling at you makes your stomach hurt? Can your step-dad help at all?

You may just have to summon up all your strength and go at this alone. Do what you need to do to eat well - learn to cook if you need to. See if there are any relaxation classes at school or through your local community. Find sympathetic friends and family to talk with, and keep coming here because we all know what you are going through.

Does doing it alone suck? Oh yeah. But all us IBS'ers have to do it at some point or another, and being able to feed yourself properly and get the relaxation and exercise you need are great skills to have. One bonus is that doing it yourself will mean that you are in control - for me at least, being in control really lowers my stress level!

--AC

p.s. My husband does most of our cooking, and my female friends look at me with envy when I tell them that. Men who cook are in great demand...and men who can cook IBS-friendly food can know that 10-20% of the women they meet will adore them!

#105468 - 09/13/04 08:11 AM
ibsgrl

Hey
Well I definitely know that it is hard to change around your eating habits, not easy at all. Thats for sure the hardest part, but the thing is, if you start to do it AND notice a change then really, isn't it worth it to not have the pain, etc?
Really, really try to get her to take you to the doctor again. Tell her that you don't want him/her to tell you what to eat, you already know what diet you'll be following, you just want to find out if there is a medication you could try. Oh, by the way do you take an SFS? I know they definitely help a lot of people!

#105470 - 09/13/04 08:20 AM
pcgeek43505

the only thing i have taken was when i first found out i had it. It was some kind of small pill you stick under your tongue and let it dissolve..... it tasted like a really nasty peppermint. It helped for the first couple of weeks, then it just stopped.

--------------------

#105477 - 09/13/04 08:30 AM
ibsgrl

hmm, well i think that Antispasmodics have helped some people who have IBS-D so maybe thats a possibility for you?? Also I think trying out an SFS (soluble fibre supplement) is worth a shot.

#105479 - 09/13/04 08:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I can totaly relate! When I was kid my stomach would hurt so bad I'd vomit! My mom would make me go to school anyway. I was told I was a hypochondriac. I was blamed for my sickness. Sound familair?

My mom meant well. She didn't know any better. In those days the doc said I needed to eat insoluble fiber...hmpf! That just made things worse.....

What kinds of things do you like to do to relax? Have you considered the IBS hypno tapes? Talk to ShawnEric....they may be able to send you the tapes somehow (I'm guessing your mom won't be supportive of them). When you feel an attack coming on...close your eyes and picture something happy or that you enjoy doing. Picture your life in slow motion...

As far as diet goes...it sounds like you're on your own. If your mom makes something for dinner...eat the things in the meal thata re safe and skip the rest (if possible). Do everything you can do to get yourself well. Maybe if your mom sees you are feeling a bit better...or that you're committed to this diet...she'll have a change of heart (I'm hoping she will!)

I'm not sue what else to say. You're very brave coming on the boards and asking us for advice! And you know how to take care of yourself...you should be very proud! I am confident you will be okay. Keep posting to us...and we'll keep brainstroming ideas for you. Don't give up hope! THIS IS NOT YOUR FAULT! It is NOT in your head! And you are NOT alone! I may be 25 now...but I recall what it felt like to be a teen with IBS all too well, living under my paretns roof, and in seething pain! I wish you weren't going through what I went through....

Please let us know what else we can do to help! You're in our thoughts!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#105482 - 09/13/04 08:38 AM
pcgeek43505

Quote:

My mom would make me go to school anyway. I was told I was a hypochondriac. I was blamed for my sickness. Sound familair?

That is what my mom tells me..... im a hypochondriac, BUT IM NOT.

--------------------

#105550 - 09/13/04 11:41 AM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

That's awful, and I know just what you're going through. When I first got IBS, I had no idea what was wrong and my doctors determined that I was just depressed. I missed a LOT of school. I was homeschooled for part of one year by a gym teacher from my school ... she would come by with my homework from the classes I was supposed to be going to ... Is there a counselor you could talk to about something like that? Just until you get yourself stabilized?

Also, you said that your step-dad is sympathetic? Do you think that he would be willing to pick up some of the staple, get-stable foods for you? For example, a big box of minute rice (1/2 cup in the microwave for 3 minutes ) and some fat-free Saltines? Then you'd at least have something to help ...

I'll keep trying to think of other things that I've done ... I really hope that you feel better soon!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 524 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3393

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review