All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ovarian Cysts??
      #105388 - 09/13/04 12:15 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Can ovarian cysts cause or mimic or have anything to do with IBS? I had an ovarian cyst rupture recently and never experienced so much pain in my life. Has this happened to any of you ladies? My IBS is very much on a cyclic pattern. D always before my period. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one out there or if any of you have had similar experiences. Thanks in advance.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ovarian Cysts?? new
      #105395 - 09/13/04 05:01 AM

Unregistered

in March I had a really bad bout with pain on my lower right side. I hadn't been diagnosed with IBS just yet so my parents took me to the emergency room. They did ultrasounds and found an ovarian cyst filled with blood. It never burst, thank god, but they attributed all of my pain to that. I was diagnosed with IBS about a month later and right before my period I get the same identical pain. Who knows if its a cyst there or if its my IBS.. they mimic each other...

Advil helps.
Dina

#105551 - 09/13/04 11:44 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

Thanks for the response! My pain was on the right side too. Do you take advil before you start your period? if not, when do you take it? If I take it when the pain has already started it does nothing. Thanks again.

#105556 - 09/13/04 12:00 PM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey guys,
Im only 19 and have had ibs for 4 years, I was properly diagnosed when I was 17 after the doctors ran proper tests and did an ultrasound. During that ultrasound they found lots of tiny cysts on both my ovaries and the doctor said it was likely that I had polycystic ovarian syndrome something Ive heard a lot about but he told me not to worry about it and nothing has been mentioned over it since. I also like you've said get a pain on my right side before each period...its kinda like I can feel my ovary as though its swollen...sorry to be so graphic! During my period my IBS also worsens and the first day of each period I am usually in a lot of pain but I dont take anything! Dyou think there might be a link?? I havent mentioned it much to my doctor he just prescibes me stuff for ibs...hmm...let me know if you know anything else xx

--------------------
Natalie

#105731 - 09/14/04 04:46 AM

Unregistered

ok I can actually answer both questions. Advil question, I get my period on wednesdays (I am on the pill) so on Tuesday I start taking advil. I get no cramps and no side pain. My doc recommended that after my emergency room visit to see if it helped. By friday I don't need to take it anymore.

now for the PCOS question. I was actually misdiagnosed with that. I am a little overweight and am italian.. which leads to a little bit of extra hair near my face. Polycystic ovarian disease has ALOT more symptoms than just cysts on your ovaries. Heurtruism (facial hair), excessive weight gain and insuline intolernace are just toname a few. To find out if you have PCOS you should get your insulin levels checked. Most people who have PCOS have an insulin resistance and that causes their weight gain. After I was diagnosed I was administered tests and they all came back negative.

My OBGyn told me that some people are just prone to cysts on their ovaries. She said women get them all the time, especially close to their periods. SOmtimes they hurt but most times they don't. She said most burst on their own and are pretty harmless. I have not had a painful cyst since March.

Hope that helps girls. Go see your OBGYN if things get worse. Its not good to take advil all the time so if things get worse call your doc. Hope you guys feel better

Dina

#105806 - 09/14/04 11:11 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I had a nasty one back in the late 1980s. Left side. Hurt like hell and was getting worse. Doc said it was gas. I said I think I know a gas pain when I feel it, and this is not.

A week later I was back in there with about double the pain. He starts palpating my tummy and gets hold of my ovary and thinks it's my uterus. Meanwhile of course I am levitating off the exam table! So he does an ultrasound and I've got a cyst the size of large lemon on there. We make an appointment for three days later to have it surgically removed.

Next day I get a call from search and rescue about a lost guy -- I was on the county sheriff's mounted posse. I told them I'd come, but that if I got into too much pain I was going home early. So I spend most of the day on a horse riding REALLY rough country, straight up and downhill, side-winding hills, jumping logs, etc. Somewhere along there the cyst ruptured. The next morning I went into the doc's office literally on my hands and knees. He inserts a long needle into the cavity area around the ovary and withdraws the fluid and *presto* I'm fine.

Moral of the story: join SAR or go ride a horse. Saved me about $5000 in surgery!

#105879 - 09/14/04 05:45 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I had cysts on my ovaries, too. One on my right ovary was the size of a grapefruit and ruptured -- I hung on for 12 hours, doubled up in a ball on my bed, until morning. Went to the ER, and of course had surgery (removal). A few years later the left also did the same thing, so at 26 they took my remaining ovary and uterus (instant menopause!).

I think it's related -- every single month, the pain was so bad, but also severe constipation for a week at least. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Good luck with it.

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2606

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review