All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What did I eat for 8 months to stay IBS-D free when I hate to cook??!! Part 1
      #105340 - 09/12/04 01:24 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Okay, someone asked me what I ate since I don't/can't/won't cook. Fibromyalgia limits my cooking efforts to heating things up in the microwave or on the stove (like soup) or making smoothies. My husband cooks so I have a fair amount of leftovers to heat up, but even if I didn't I could get by.

Let's take it by category.

SOLUBLE FIBER FOODS (in every meal or snack):
Bread, bread, bread and more bread!
Bagels, English muffins, frozen waffles, low fat granola bars, crackers, flour tortillas, Carr's Biscuits for Tea (an English cookie that's not too sweet).
Potatoes and sweet potatoes baked in the microwave.
Cereal, cold or microwaveable like oatmeal.
Rice, either leftover or from Chinese takeout or the new microwavable bags.
Pasta or noodles, leftover usually.
Others include leftover cooked carrots and canned beets.
Note: On rare occasions I could probably manage to cook rice or pasta for myself. I eat it plain with salt and pepper and onion powder and a pinch of oregano.

INSOLUBLE FIBER FOODS (only combined with solubles):
Cracked wheat bread (1/2 white flour, 1/2 whole wheat flour), crackers like Triscuits (100% whole wheat).
Nuts such as peanuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts.
Beans and lentils, green pea soup.
Berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, especially in smoothies.
Pineapple, fresh or canned, citrus fruits or juices, dates.
Veggies are tough to get without cooking. I'm sure if I had to I could cook frozen peas. But we usually have leftover spinach, broccoli, green beans, or something.
Canned soups such as vegetable or minestrone.

That's all I have time for today. Part 2 tomorrow!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What did I eat for 8 months to stay IBS-D free when I hate to cook??!! Part 1 new
      #105362 - 09/12/04 06:26 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi LS-
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but your part 1 was really exciting to me. Also, writing this reply is a great way for me to share my significant frustration and discouragement today---some days are better than others and today was NOT a good day--- since having a major IBS relapse in May, 2004. So thanks to you and anyone else who takes the time to read on here.

I've never been a "kitchen type" and before discovering H's diet in 8/03 I was basically eating vegan style with lots of raw vegies and fruits b/c they're "healthy", require no prep time except to wash them and they were easy to eat plain with whole grains, which I would prepare over the wkend in large batches so my meals were fast, easy and brainless thruout the week.

SOOOO, it's been a real challenge thruout this past year for me to figure out how to switch over to Heather's diet AND keep it as simple as possible so that I can remain committed to it. Intuitively I believe that H's diet is correct. However, based upon my minimalist kitchen instincts, combined with my 25+ years of eating my former way, I haven't been able to "make it work" .

By this I mean that I can't seem to resolve my only remaining major symptoms [ which I'm certain are due to insoluble fiber b/c I've eliminated everything else, per H's 2 books, that could be causing them....really!!], which are distention and discomfort that awaken, and then keep me awake, after about 3-4 hours of sleep each night.

Not surprisingly, I'm constantly sleep deprived or, on nights when I'm desperately tired, I finally take Ambien in a small dose of 2.5 mg when my colon wakens me in order to calm my colon and let me fall back to sleep for the rest of the night. However, I hate using Ambien b/c it always causes me to sleep in late and then I miss my "window of opportunity" at 5-7 AM, which is the ONLY time my colon's peristalsis seems to want to work well.

Ambien also causes me to become more backed up, although it's supposed to cause diarrhea! I have several thoughts on why Ambien does this but that's another e-mail!

Anyway, the sleep problem constantly destabilizes my C-IBS . However, I believe that if I could just figure out the answers to my questions below I'd be able to sleep soundly until I awaken at my normal time of 5AM and voila, I'd stop being constipated!

Your e-mail raises my these ?'s perfectly! I'm really hoping it will also help to answer them!!!

As I try to become stable I'm wondering:

- how much of the insoluble foods you listed can you eat each day?

- how much at any one meal or snack?

-how long did it take you to get up to your current levels of insol intake?

-do you start every meal or snack with some SFS? What do you use? Do you think that the SFS has helped you to be able to eat more insoluble fiber?

-are all the insoluble foods you list eaten only via Heather's safe prep guidelines or can you eat fresh unground nuts and/or non- pureed berries when they are mixed into soluble fiber like rice or oatmeal?

-- how severe was your D-IBS 6 months ago and how longstanding was it?

Any other tips or insights about "how to include and eat" insoluble fiber easily AND w/o causing problems, [beyond what's in H's 2 books] will be much appreciated. Thanks, your cooking-impaired new buddy! LL

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Re: What did I eat for 8 months to stay IBS-D free when I hate to cook??!! Part 1 new
      #105557 - 09/13/04 12:01 PM
LauraSue

Dear LL, Great questions!! I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Quote:

By this I mean that I can't seem to resolve my only remaining major symptoms [ which I'm certain are due to insoluble fiber b/c I've eliminated everything else, per H's 2 books, that could be causing them....really!!], which are distention and discomfort that awaken, and then keep me awake, after about 3-4 hours of sleep each night.

It seems to be true, as Heather says, that bloating is the most difficult symptom to get under control and thus the last symptom to get rid of. So you're not alone if that's any comfort!

Not surprisingly, I'm constantly sleep deprived

Sleep deprivation in itself is an IBS trigger because of the stress it causes on the body. So you are absolutely right IMHO to have identified that as the key issue for you. Have you tried Benadryl antihistimine as a sleep aid? I highly recommend it. My mother takes it, even my psychiatrist and her husband take it! I take two every night about two hours before bed. It really helps. Also, the prescription medication Elavil (amitriptyline) is used to treat the chronic sleep deprivation in fibromyalgia and other problems. I take three every night and other than wicked dry mouth, it really helps. If you don't get the sleep deprivation cured, I don't think you'll be able to get your IBS stable. Again, just my humble opinion.

I miss my "window of opportunity" at 5-7 AM, which is the ONLY time my colon's peristalsis seems to want to work well.

Our body's biological clocks can be very "set in stone." I've always suffered from killing jet lag because my body insists on doing things at the time it's used to (sleeping, eating, peeing and BM's). But the time can be reset. It's possible to gradually train your colon to change its preferred time to later. Try adjusting the window of opportunity by deliberately waiting til 5:30, then 6 then 6:30, or even in 15 minute intervals. You could shift it like this once a day or once a week until you're on the schedule YOU want! And if your body objects just go back one interval for a while.

As I try to become stable I'm wondering:

- how much of the insoluble foods you listed can you eat each day?

Let's see. I can eat 2 slices of cracked wheat bread, plus a bowl of oatmeal, plus some canned pineapple plus a green veggie with dinner all in one day without any problem.

- how much at any one meal or snack?

Two slices of cracked wheat bread, plus the canned pineapple. Or a bowl of soup plus a dish of berries. So maybe two servings per meal at most. A snack would be one dish of berries with a flour tortilla or a few peanuts with a half a bagel.

-how long did it take you to get up to your current levels of insol intake?

I followed the breaking the cycle diet for several days after my last attack 8 months ago and then started adding back in the easy insolubles like cracked wheat bread, oatmeal, green peas. I didn't really start eating enough insolubles for a healthy diet in general until I started making sure I got a mininum of 5 servings a day of fruits and veggies per the FDA food pyramid. My first post on that subject was in March and my last attack was Jan 9 so I guess about two months of gradual increase got me to my current level of the past six months.

-do you start every meal or snack with some SFS?

Every meal but not every snack. I take it three times a day, before each meal. I also keep my meal times VERY regular for the reason given above. If my body is expecting lunch at 1:30pm and pumping out lots of digestive gastric enzymes to get ready, it's not happy if I don't eat and those gastric enzymes start chewing on my stomach rather than the food I didn't give it!

What do you use?

I happen to take Metamucil. I was very lucky. It was the first one my doctor mentioned and I built up VERY slowly to a full dose.

Do you think that the SFS has helped you to be able to eat more insoluble fiber?

DEFINITELY!!! It's like it provides a cushion to soften the blow from the insoluble.

-are all the insoluble foods you list eaten only via Heather's safe prep guidelines or can you eat fresh unground nuts and/or non- pureed berries when they are mixed into soluble fiber like rice or oatmeal?

Mostly according to Heather's recommendations. Otherwise I'm playing with fire. (Except for berries as long as don't eat too many or on an empty stomach. But I do NOT recommend it. Smush them or put them in a smoothie. MUCH safer. Oooh, you just gave me a great idea. I'm going to put some nuts in a baggie and smush them with a rolling pin to sprinkle on my cereal or oatmeal - yum!

-- how severe was your D-IBS 6 months ago and how longstanding was it?

I've been stable 8 months. The pattern of my attacks was always almost exactly the same. In the evening, after or at the worst DURING dinner, I would get severe cramps and have to run to the bathroom and have D. But once was never enough! About 15 minutes later, I'd have a second round of D, worse than the first. And 15 minutes after that, my insides would turn to water and I would just empty out completely. This would leave me weak and shaky and drained and feeling just awful, that night and all the next day.

The first time it happened was in 1999 (although I had milder symptoms most of my life) and it kept happening with increasing frequency until it was happening at least once a month. I had made it six months with no D twice since I started the Metamucil but then had another six months of D every few weeks when I finally got fed up and got serious about Heather's diet 8 months ago.

Any other tips or insights about "how to include and eat" insoluble fiber easily AND w/o causing problems, [beyond what's in H's 2 books] will be much appreciated. Thanks, your cooking-impaired new buddy! LL

You're welcome, LL! Nice to have a new buddy!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#105652 - 09/13/04 03:56 PM
LauraSue

I'll be back tomorrow with Part 2, Proteins and Restaurant Food!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#105668 - 09/13/04 05:08 PM
lithelady

Dear LS-
Your reply is wonderful, more info than I'd ever had hoped for; thanks VERY much!! I'm going to print and read it over dinner tonight. Maybe it'll inspire my colon to stay calm tonight by learning all your insights.

I'd love to take benadryl but I've been told that it can cause constipation. I'm going to post this question now and see if any other C-IBSers are able to use it.
Looking forward to Part 2! LL

--------------------

#105766 - 09/14/04 07:35 AM
LauraSue

LL, you're very welcome! It's what we're here for!

Quote:

I'd love to take benadryl but I've been told that it can cause constipation.

Ah, good catch. And Elavil is even more constipating so forget both of them. What about taking your Ambien earlier? Or just taking half?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#105781 - 09/14/04 08:37 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

HI Laura,

Just curious...when you say you're stable...how often do you go? Does stable mean no D but do you still have urgency to go and still go frequently? I'm trying to get so I don't go 3 to 4 times a day. It would be nice to just go once or twice!!!
Thanks
Sandy

#105801 - 09/14/04 11:00 AM
LauraSue

Welcome, Sandy! Nice to have you with us!!

Stable for me means no more than twice a day and no urgency and no less than once every two or three days. It varies.

Have you started Heather's diet? Do you take a soluble fiber supplement? Do you take your meds aggressively rather than reluctantly? I needed to do all three before I got stable.

Again, welcome, and keep coming back!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#106370 - 09/16/04 07:25 PM
lithelady

Hi LS,

I'm trying your idea of taking less Ambien and earlier. Will keep you updated. Do you know anything about using passionflower to enhance sleep AND relax the GI tract.

Do you know of any high quality website for herbal info re: dosage, frequency, benefits and side-effects of individual herbs where I could read about P'flower b/c a friend told me about it and highly recommended it to help me.

Txs for your great input; are you a healthcare professional of some sort or are you just naturally very knowledgeable? LL

--------------------

#106507 - 09/17/04 11:28 AM
LauraSue

LL! Thanks for the compliment!! No, I'm not a healthcare professional but I enjoy researching things and helping others. I kind of consider it to be my job now to do peer counseling, and education and advocacy for IBS and fibromyalgia, now that I'm out on permanent disability.

However, herbal remedies is not an area I know much about, unfortunately. The Arthritis Foundation has a terrific book on Alternative Remedies that is very well balanced between things that are worth trying and things that have no scientific evidence. But I think you have to buy the book. I don't think the info is on their website.

Hope this helps. Have a great day!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 845 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review