All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS/Depression/Anger/Agoraphobia/NO LIFE...
      #10511 - 06/02/03 02:07 PM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

Am I the only one out here who's life with IBS has caused other issues to crop up? I'm going through a tough time with the IBS and am finding myself very depressed and angry. I know that depression and anger are neither very good on the tummy, but this is just how it is for me at this moment. I've tried everything I know, but it seems that I can't find relief and this just plain ol' has me low. I've been dealing with all of this for years upon years and can see no improvement. In fact, things seem to be going from bad to worse. And I'm so let down from the gallbladder surgery. I was SO in hopes (as was my surgeon) that this would help with my food sensitivities and constipation. It has not.

I'm sorry to come here and whine. There's so many others out here that are much worse off than me. I just get so darned frustrated. I can't travel, I can't do anything due to fear of a flare up while I'm out. Well thanks to anyone who has listened to me whine around about all of this. I hope everyone is doing well today.

Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS/Depression/Anger/Agoraphobia/NO LIFE... new
      #10512 - 06/02/03 02:13 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Meg - I'm so sorry you're not doing well. I was wondering (and I've been meaning to ask--sorry ) how you've been making out.

Have you ever given any thought to the hypno tapes? Also, isn't there some type of med (I can't remember the name) that they give you if you've had your gallbladder out, or does that just help with D if you've had your gallbladder out?

#10514 - 06/02/03 02:28 PM
meg

Hi Mags and thanks for your support! Yep, the med they give after gallbladder surgery is for diarrhea only:(

I'm just having a yucky time of it lately. I thought for sure that I was doing better after the surgery, but now it's been 9 days since my last BM, so I'm right back where I started.

I just get soooooo tired of all this. And now I have a bad tooth that has to be removed soon. I find it very difficult to have any type dental procedure, for fear of an episode hitting. I guess ya can tell that I have anxiety issues. I guess I just need a break.

Thanks again Mags for your support and advice, I appreciate your help.

Meg

#10515 - 06/02/03 02:37 PM
*Melissa*

Silly question - are you taking the med that's for the D? I would think no since that would probably block you up more, but just checking.

I know exactly what you mean about the dentist. One of my first attacks that I ever had happened in the chair. It was horrible! Sorry, guess I shouldn't tell you that now when you've got to go...I'm sure I'm not making you feel any better. If it helps any, I went twice since then and had no problems.

Seriously though, since you've been having so much problems with no successes, maybe you should give the tapes a shot. The only thing it can hurt is your bank account, and if you think about it, it's only about $1 a day.....I swear I don't own stock in the company, I just really believe in them. They're helping me so much.

I wish there was more I could do for you, Meg. If I think of ANYTHING, I'll let you know.

#10530 - 06/02/03 05:33 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Meg - forgive me if you've already talked about this ... but how long have you been feeling down? You may have another issue going on here than just the IBS/gallbladder/tooth stuff. (is that all!@#$) Seriously, if you have questions about anxiety issues - I'm here. I have an anxiety disorder and I am now realizing how much it has contributed to my IBS. Once I started dealing with the anxiety issue, the IBS improved as well.
I understand your frustration. It feels like you're in a rut with no way out. Somehow or other, you will get better. Remember, when you've hit bottom, there's no where else to go but up.
It's easy to say, I know. Have you ever talked to your Doc about your anxiety? Perhaps that is something to consider. Is your Doc supportive?
Take care, and anything I can do to help, let me know!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#10539 - 06/02/03 07:55 PM
meg

Thank you HanSolo for your sweet concern:) I have had anxiety issues all my life, just like IBS, since childhood really. I also have mitral valve prolapse syndrome with dysautonomia, and this is actually why I have IBS as well as panic. It's just all so complicated. Anyway, I'm just in a down cycle and worried over this constipation. I'll be ok, just a lot on my plate at the moment. Thanks again and I hope that your anxiety is not giving you a hard time of it.

Meg

Re: I agree with Mags and Hansolo new
      #10564 - 06/03/03 12:29 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Meg,

I agree with Mags that the hypno tapes might be worth a look. They have really helped me as far as anxiety goes.

Also, as hansolo said it might be worth talking to your doctor (if he/she is supportive) about the depression. I ended up suffering from depression and was nearly hospitalised due to it. The worse it got, the worse the IBS got, it was a downward spiral. I ended up on anti-depressants (fluoxetine - which is usually helpful to people with IBS-C) and they really helped me. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if I things got that bad again.
I'm not trying to promote drugs as a quick fix, I'm not on them anymore and prefer it that way, but I think sometimes they might be needed.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#10568 - 06/03/03 03:12 AM
Ian

Loc: United Kingdom

Meg,

Do you manage to get much exercise?

There's been times when I've used every excuse under the sun to convince myself that it wasn't really necessary to go out anyway. At those times it's very easy to get little exercise and not realise it. Developing a work-out that can be done within the home can make a real difference. For example, 30 minutes of yoga or aerobics can make me feel both physically and mentally better. Doing that sort of exercise on a regular basis is, for me, one of the best defences against anxiety and depression.

Sorry if that doesn't help you and hope you are feeling better soon.

Ian

tapes and anti-depressants new
      #10588 - 06/03/03 08:42 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

So the tapes are working for you, and helping with the anxiety? I am concidering them. I tend to be skeptical about things like that, but like Mags said, what do I have to lose? I'd really like to hear from people who are finding that the tapes are helping combat the anxiety. I am also concidering actually TAKING the Prozac the doctor gave me. (Right now it's in it's little bottle just sitting in the closet.) I keep telling myself that I don't need them, but on the other hand, if they will help me learn to cope again then I should take them. Oh, what to do, what to do, what to do.....

I am now realizing that this IBS thing is not just gut-related. I am getting my gut under control, but now I need to get my head/nerves under control. I think I will be a much wiser, stronger, and happier person when I learn how to feed my body properly (nutritionally AND emotionally).

Gretchen

Re: tapes and anti-depressants new
      #10593 - 06/03/03 09:41 AM
*Melissa*

They've definitely helped with my anxiety. There's more info on the Hypnotherapy for IBS board.

I'll check it out new
      #10605 - 06/03/03 11:00 AM
Gretchen

Reged: 05/30/03
Loc: Muncy, PA, USA

Thanks, I will check out that board today.

Gretchen

Re: I agree with Mags and Hansolo new
      #10610 - 06/03/03 12:05 PM
meg

I can't take meds for depression, due to my system is very screwy. I've tried them all, or so it seems, but they only do terrible things to me. I'm kinda wired up backwards,lol. The SSRI's give me hypomanic reactions, so... Anxiety meds only make the depression much worse, so... The IBS adds to the anxiety and the anxiety adds to the IBS, so it's just an on-going cycle.

I've not had a bm in 9 days now, so this is making me even more anxious.

I did come up with a tasty recipe though, so hop on over to the recipe board and take a look see:)

Thanks for the support!

Meg

#10616 - 06/03/03 12:25 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I know where you are coming from. I am now and have gone through all the anger, depression, etc., etc., too. I know how frustrating it is. Right now I am stressed out about work, a "neighbor problem" we are having at home with a building we are constructing, feeling like I'm not able to keep my husband "satified" romantically because of IBS, etc. (even though he assures me not to worry about it), etc., etc., etc. It really helps me to come her and "talk".

Keep smiling and keep your chin up. I know it's easier said than done...but that's what we have to do.

{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Re: new
      #10781 - 06/04/03 08:39 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

sorry to hear about you having such a hard time... believe me, I CAN RELATE

right now i'm on an anti-depressant, effexor-xr. it's helping me TONS... i'm less depressed, not scared to go outside anymore, and my IBS has been much better.

if you can't take perscription AD's, can you maybe take an herbal supplement to help? i don't know a lot about herbal antidepressants, but i know they're out there... two herbs that come to mind are Kava-Kava and St. John's Wort.

i really hope you start feeling better soon!

oh and exercise helps a lot too. even if you just lift soup cans in your living room or walk up and down the steps a few times... it really helps me feel better if i'm active.

beth

#10789 - 06/05/03 04:46 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

I understand quite a bit about the psychological effects of this disease. I usually sit back by the bathroom in my workplace and this morning a girl was there and she wouldn't get up for me so I could sit there. People don't understand the need to be near a bathroom, it is like a security blanket to us with IBS-D. We have to run to the bathroom all the time period, we may as well live there, get life to come into there for a while. I sat and cried for at least 10 minutes because I knew that when I get up and run to the bathroom others will see it, that is embarrassing to me. I know that some may think otherwise, they think they mean nothing to you, don't worry about it. People just don't understand, they don't understand the embarrassment and the anguish of it all. They don't understand what it is like when you get up and others look at you and know where you're going. People see you and when you walk to it they know where you are going. It just hurts so very much.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review