All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Define 'Attack'?
      #104963 - 09/10/04 11:04 AM
rim

Reged: 07/19/04

Just curious as to what you would all define an 'attack of IBS' as.

I had thought they were the trapped gas/cramps/pain that seem to go along with this nonsense, but I'm under the impression now that instead it's related to the actual frequency of bowel movements, or the lack thereof.

For the most part, since July I've been using the bits of Heather's diet I can manage (seasonings like onion and garlic, non-pureed vegetables, most fruits, and soups, not to mention most brands of soy milk - Silk seems easiest to digest - still give me bloating and pain) - but I'm still running to diarrhea once or twice a week, and I'm not seeing specifically what food (if any) is causing it even with a diary.

I'm just not sure if these are 'attacks' or not, in that it's a once or twice a day and done sort of thing when it happens, and occurs hours after eating.

Also, I'm not sure I have to treat them differently than I've been treating the rest of the condition.

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Define 'Attack'? new
      #104983 - 09/10/04 12:12 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I think attacks are different for different people. My main symptom is abdominal pain so really severe, so bad I can't stand straight pain is what I consider to be an attack.
I'm sure other will share their experiences too.
Sinead

--------------------
S.

#105002 - 09/10/04 01:13 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Well, "attack" to me is whenever the IBS is flaring up -- once it has been under control. I guess since I am IBS-D -- my attacks are mainly when I get D -- though I may have a time when I get really bloated, cramp - and get gas instead. I have been pretty stable and have only had two attacks this year -- whereas it used to be practically every day for me before the diet.

#105007 - 09/10/04 01:27 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

whenever I get D or C it comes with the cramping and gas and bloating, so the combination is what I call an attack... does that help?

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#105013 - 09/10/04 01:43 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi
I would say in my opinion that an IBS attack is any IBS symptom that is causing you discomfort. That can be anything from C/D, bloating, pain, cramping, etc etc.
I tend to mainly suffer with trapped wind in my side that can get very painful, I also get more bowel movements too, sometimes constipation it varies.
I would call any of those things attacks.
HTH
Niki
xxx

Before being 6 mos IBS free after 10+ years my attacks go like this... new
      #105037 - 09/10/04 03:21 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

A bit after eating (usually dinner with beano & sometimes lactase) I start feeling gassiness & mild cramping. I pop some Gas X I pray they will go away. The cramps get closer together & stronger. After a while I do "the walk" (you all know what that is like) to the bathroom, grabbing a magazine or two on the way. I sit on the potty for anywhere from 2-6 hrs because every cramp feels like I'm going to have diahrrea. Sometimes the D starts in a few hours & I go 4-5 x before it all comes out. Other times (especially with rice for some reason with me seems to block me) I cramp for 4-6 hours. I feel a big bulge right where my colon becomes the rectum, the turn, & I know it's the worst attack. The pain becomes almost unbearable & I start shaking all over & my heart is beating hard. After a while I vomit a few times, then the D comes out. The next day my stomach is sore to the touch. & I have to eat soft gentle foods for about a week.

For me.......... new
      #105174 - 09/11/04 01:43 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

an Attack is when D is accompanied by unbearable pain. The pain sometimes causes me to vomit. An attack lasts several hours for me and it usually takes at least a day to recover.
Just plain D, bloating and discomfort are ordinary days for me. A symptom free day is cause for celebration. Every person is different, but when I say "Attack", I mean ATTACK.

#105756 - 09/14/04 07:07 AM
rim

Reged: 07/19/04

Thanks to everyone for your input! And that's what I thought. Everyone *does* describe an attack differently.

In my case, depending on how you define it, I am having almost daily 'attacks' (where attack is pain/bloating/diarrhea at a low level of intensity) OR I rarely have 'attacks' (where attack is unbearable pain or diarrhea that takes a few hours to work through your system).

It's just a very wide range of experience we all have, I guess.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1390 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 957

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review