Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need veggie help
      #104579 - 09/08/04 02:40 PM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi Everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with IBS (although I think I've had if forever!) & need help in figuring out what to eat. I tried to go veggie & I think that's what really brought out my IBS. Now I'm afraid to eat any veggies. I usually munch on raw carrots, string beans & snap peas but now I'm thinking that I should stay away from them. So what's the deal? Are carrots good or bad for you? I also love whole wheat bread but I'm afraid of that too.
Any insight you guys could provide would be greatly appreciate.

BTW I'm taking 9 grams of benefiber each day & that seems to be helping. I'm also taking lataid when I eat dairy which also seems to help.
Thanks
Meryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need veggie help new
      #104607 - 09/08/04 04:30 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I can eat Carrots,Potatos,Beets,Squash and Mushrooms with no problems. Sugar snap peas pose a problem for me but might be okay for others. Whole wheat bread is a big problem for me, Fresh baked French bread works great. You might want to click on "IBS Diet & Recipes" in the upper left hand of the screen for better Food information. Hope this helps some.

Hi Meryl, new
      #104617 - 09/08/04 05:31 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Welcome to the boards.

Yeah, I'm one of those afraid of veggies, too. I can eat a small amount of cooked carrots and peas. I believe it is better if the veggies are cooked and even mashed not raw. Some people even eat the baby food veggies with success. I am going to get brave soon and try more veggies.

I, too, can use a small amount of dairy after a lactaid pill. I can use lactaid milk in my oatmeal. Beware, though, a lot of people with IBS can't tolerate dairy so if you start having problems stop the dairy.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Re: need veggie help new
      #104651 - 09/08/04 08:19 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Meryl,
First, are you eating solouble fiber before your veggies? If not, try that. Example- eat a bagel for breakfast, topped with veggies or eat the veggies last (what I have been doing)
Also- no raw veggies! They mess IBSers up BIG time. I even microwave raw veggies to make them more digestable, and it seems to help. I slice up little pieces of carrots and squash and in the micro they go. I even eat broccoli, but I know that some people have trouble. Try chewing them thoroughly and in small bites and pieces. Anything that seems really tough like you can't chew it all of the way, like snow peas, be extrememly careful when you eat it.
baked veggies are good too.
Try eating veggies in stirfrys with lots of rice, that is another way I get them in.
Some people bake veggies into bread (like zucchini bread) but I haven't tried that.
I would make sure that you are pretty stable before trying veggies, too.
That is all I can think of for now, good luck!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1620 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 489

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review