All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What to eat for kidney health???
      #104571 - 09/08/04 02:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So the doc says he thinks I have kidney stones. Are there things I should/shouldn't eat? If you know anything about kidney stones/infections, I'm interested!

Thanks everyone!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

CRANBERRIES!! new
      #104583 - 09/08/04 02:48 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

I used to get plagued with UTI problems and haven't had any trouble for years, but when I did, cranberries was IT. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs so that's out, but cranberry works just as well. I never had stones, so keep that in mind .... you can get good cranberry juice (Knudsen's) and you can buy dried cranberries, and cranberry "capsules" are stocked in many health food stores and even the Walmart pharmacy.

Other herbal goodies that contribute to kidney/bladder/UT health include dandelion and lemongrass and other similar herbs. Try a google search, here's one link to get you started: google search

Re: What to eat for kidney health??? new
      #104609 - 09/08/04 05:01 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ruchie, Hi again...Long time no talk to ey! IF it's kidney stones there are different kinds of stones. Mine was calcium and I believe it was caused from an overabundance of yogurt that I ate after taking a month long dose of antibiotics for Lyme Disease. I started eating yogurt faithfully every day for about 6 months and developed the kidney stone after that. My body was not used to that much calcium so I'm not saying don't eat yogurt, I'm just saying that I overdosed on it. The other no, no if you have a calcium stone is iced tea or tea. I treat myself to iced tea every once in a while. I hardly ever drink the stuff now since the stone.

Now, you can also have a uric acid stone which is a stone caused from the uric acid in your body. Your body doesn't know how to break it down and that I believe causes those type of stones. But there are many tests that you can have to determine this. Don't worry. If you end up needing to see a Urologist, he'll take care of you. Mine monitored me for 3 years after my stone. I would have a KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder)xray done once a year to check for stones. I am now free and clear of them and do not have to go back to him Yeah!!!!! . Just had my last check up last week.

Water though is the best for stones. Any doctor will tell you that you should drink lots and lots of it. Don't overdo it though, you should drink it based on your weight. They make flavored waters too if you can't stomach plain water. I myself hate it. I pretty much force down an 8oz glass a day and I know I should drink more.
Good luck and again, keep us posted of the results.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: What to eat for kidney health??? new
      #104612 - 09/08/04 05:08 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I have calcium oxylate stones. Had one tested. Tea is a biggie to cause stones. Not herbal tea, but regular tea. Drink lots of water, all day if possible. My doctor said peanuts are bad for stones too. I've also read spinich & tomato sauce/juice isn't good either. Oh, yes. Got my first major attack after a doctor told me to take a few tums daily to get calcium cause I couldn't do dairy. A few mos later ended up in the hospital on morphine with a large stone. My second round of stones started by taking calcium tablets so that's out now too.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 831

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review