All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Silly Question about cooking
      #104553 - 09/08/04 01:36 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I am a litte embarassed to admit this, but I can't cook, at all. I can make eggs (not that I can eat them) and pancakes, basic quick foods but as for dinner foods, I am clueless. My mom isn't the best cook, I hate to say, so I can't learn from her. I can bake very well, but I know nothing about cooking (and I am getting married in three months) .

My questions is how do I cook veggies properly. I need laimens terms please . Any advice would be great! Thanks!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Simplest thing ever. new
      #104555 - 09/08/04 01:42 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Put some frozen veggies in a plastic or glass mixing bowl, add a few tablespoons of water, cover loosely with waxed paper, and microwave until tender. If you read the bags, they'll tell you how long to microwave for, but I always do them a couple minutes longer - first because I like them well-cooked, second because I have a weak microwave.

My best cooking advice? Go to your local bookstore and pick up a copy of the "Betty Crocker's New Cookbook". It's probably red and white, and looks like a binder. It's the best basic cookbook, and it has sections on how to cook meats, vegetables, etc. I've been cooking for 22 years, and I still refer to mine.

Good luck!

PS new
      #104559 - 09/08/04 01:49 PM
atomic rose

There's no such thing as a silly question. All us cooking types start somewhere!

Re: Simplest thing ever. new
      #104560 - 09/08/04 01:51 PM
Sweetd

Wow! That really is the simplest thing ever! I never knew that they were safe to microwave. Awesome for me, now I don't have to cook them! When I am hungry, I want to eat then, I don't want to slave over a stove, I am hypoglycemic, so I like to eat a.s.a.p., which is another one of the reasons why I never cook.

But this is great, if you have any other quick microwavable advice, please let me know. Thanks Casey!

--------------------

Thanks Casey! new
      #104562 - 09/08/04 01:52 PM
Sweetd

True, thanks!

--------------------

Re: Simplest thing ever. new
      #104566 - 09/08/04 01:58 PM
atomic rose

Hah! As soon as I realized that a lot of vegetables can be cooked in the microwave, I've basically never done them on the stove since. I love to cook, but I hate washing dishes, esp. pots and pans - this way, you can make bunches of veggies, cover the bowl, and stick them in the fridge to reheat.

You can do fresh vegetables the same way, but you have to be a little more aware of the cooking times... I just live by my bags of frozen, they're so much more convenient.

One other thing: potatoes in the microwave. Wash them, poke them with a sharp knife 2 or 3 times, and microwave them - again, because my microwave is weak, I usually do them 5 minutes, turn them over, and then another 5, but your microwave might take less time. Voila! "Baked" potatoes.

There's microwave recipes for just about everything out there. I don't use it for cooking much more than vegetables, though, so I can't help you there... but again, you might find a good microwave-cookery book in the bookstore.

Great! new
      #104570 - 09/08/04 02:06 PM
Sweetd

Cool Casey, thanks!

--------------------

My favorite cookbook new
      #104606 - 09/08/04 04:22 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

is Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. It is Red and White Checker design. This book is great for beginners and old pros. The recipes are usually very easy to follow and taste really good. They also have basic instructions like how to boil an egg, How to steam veggies, how to make white rice. You can start with the basics and add recipes as you get more daring.
Good Luck!

Re: My favorite cookbook new
      #104679 - 09/09/04 05:25 AM
Sweetd

Thanks, I will look for this!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2889 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 722

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review