All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Extreme gas
      #1044 - 02/18/03 12:52 PM
Judith

Reged: 02/18/03

Hello everyone - I've recently been diagnosed with IBS and have found this website after my doctor was very short with me. Basically I've been suffering from extremely bad gas for over a year as well as stomach cramps and occasional constipation. My doctor put me on Fybogel (I live in the UK so Im not sure whats its called elsewhere) but its done nothing so far. Basically Im just wondering what tips there are to avoid gas - I seem to have it ALL day long, but espcially bad after eating. It depresses me so much as it really affects my social life and Im only 21. Thanks to anyone with any ideas - Judith

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Extreme gas new
      #1045 - 02/18/03 01:29 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi Judith,

I feel so much sympathy for you and I can really relate to your problems. I totally know what you mean about it affecting your social life. I find I can't make definate plans on account of not knowing how I will feel that day.

When you talk about gas do you mean trapped gas resulting in bloating etc? or passing lots of gas?

I find I develop heaps of gas, especially after eating but it is as if it is trapped and so my stomach gets horribly swollen. It feels like I'm carrying around a bowling ball some days. It also gives me a terrible backache.

I'm not sure how much info you have gained from Heather's website or books but the things I have found that help are following heather's diet, walking, yoga, fennel tea and MINTEC (peppermint oil in capsules).

Let me know if you I can help with any more info.
Good Luck!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1052 - 02/18/03 02:34 PM
Judith

Hi Kerrie - glad to know that its not just me suffering from this problem. As I posted earlier, my gas is most noticable after eating. Like you it can often take the form of trapped wind but more often than that it will escape repeatedly often for hours- sooooooo embarrasing and a few people have commented on it. I've read Heather's diet plan and have followed it for a couple of days but obviously this will take time to have an effect - you say fennel and peppermint work - is this before or after meals? Also does anyone know about something called Beano? Does it help at all? I was on Charcoal tablets but Im not sure whether they really work. Oh god - it is so nice to be able to talk about this openly- Im too embarrased to discuss it with my friends - although they must be aware of the problem!!!

#1054 - 02/18/03 03:07 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Welcome Judith! Pease know you are far from being alone on this! Up until IBS was mentioned and then finding Heather's website, I also had toxic gas every day after meals (sometimes worse than others). It was not only embaressing, but extremely painful! Depending on the day I would get sereve cramps that would bring me to tears and no position in bed would be comfortable. Since I cut whole wheats/whole grains and dairy out and have been pretty strict with the IBS diet, I feel 100% better. I still feel bloated, but I haven't had a servere attack since I started. When I do have gas now (a few times a day at the most)it doesn't smell and doesn't hurt!

I am just glad that I have found great people to talk to here on this board that are so supportive and to know that I am not the only one with this!

Hang in there and know we are here for you!

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

#1064 - 02/18/03 10:30 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Judith,
I'm so glad you have found an avenue to discuss your worries, that's what this board is all about.

I drink fennel tea at least 3-4 times a day and although it doesn't eradicate the problem I'm sure it helps. Drinking tons of water has helped me too, I think it helps detoxify everything in there.

Good Luck
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1103 - 02/19/03 06:54 PM
Olgis

Reged: 02/04/03

Oh my goodness, it is wonderful to see so many of you out there sharing your gas problem. How well I know it. At work, it is a real problem, have had to hold the gas in and of course, this causes such pain. Going out socially, was a real problem too. Always having to make excuses, and if I did go out, scanning menus, not being able to join anyone for pizza, etc. Thank goodness, I now use lactase enzyme and pizza is back in my life. Drinking fennel and peppermint tea, plenty of water.

Good luck with this problem.

Olgis

#1184 - 02/21/03 07:11 AM
Judith

Hi again - just wanted to thank everyone for their advice about how to control if not prevent the gas problem. I,ve been drinking fennel tea for the last few days and following the diet (I really miss cheese though!!!) - and I can see an improvement already. Yesterday I did a full shift at work without one attack - a BRILLIANT feeling and that helps me put into perspective what I feel Im missing on the diet. Another plus is that since finding this site that I feel a lot more in control about life in general - Ive even been able to bring up the issue with a few of my close friends, who to my suprise have been incredibly supportive and understanding. So thanks again to everyone, good luck with your journeys and I'll keep you posted with mine. Judith xxx

Trapped gas/bloating new
      #1224 - 02/22/03 08:52 AM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Every now and then I will get gas/bloated, and since yesterday morning I have suffered from gas/bloating and have taken Phasyme, Charcoal tablets, and Gas X and I feel a little better but I am still feeling a little bloated/gas. This morning I ate a donut, took 2 citracel tabs and drank water and I have had 2 small BMs. Will this gas eventually pass? I'm going to be chewing Beano before every meal today and probally for the next few days!

Re: Trapped gas/bloating new
      #1242 - 02/22/03 03:12 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

have you tried peppermint capsules enteric coated? it doesn't start to melt until it gets past the tummy. i've been taking it for 3 days before dinner and so far no gas or bloating after dinner. i also stopped the 500 mg vit c i wad taking at dinnertime. that was heather's suggestion.
sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Trapped gas/bloating new
      #1245 - 02/22/03 04:24 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Thanks for the advice. Can you get those at Wal Mart or do you have to go to somewhere like GNC? I heard peppermint capsules are great for this kind of stuff.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4896

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review