All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help, Indegestion and Reflux
      #104098 - 09/06/04 09:52 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I am having such indegestion, or heartburn, my esophogas(sp?) seems to have a small little slow burn going on. I am not sure what the problem is.

Could medication cause this? It seems to bother me after I take my meds, always take them in the morning.

I have also been experiencing occasional reflux, once this gets started does it ever leave??

How is reflux treated?

I used to take Prilosec every day, would that help?

If anyone could answer, I would be grateful.

Thanks, Hope you all have a great Labor Day, gayla

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help, Indegestion and Reflux new
      #104101 - 09/06/04 10:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Do your meds come with an information leaflet? Acid indigestion might be mentioned on there. Also, do you take your meds on an empty stomach? That might be the culprit.

Try some Zantac and avoid acidy foods like the plague - tomatoes, citrus fruit, fruit juice - plus spicy foods are a no-no and eating or drinking ANYTHING too fast will hurt.

Talk to your doc about this. I was on Lansoprazole (Zoton?) daily for reflux, but I usually don't need it now. I think it works like Zantac by blocking the enzyme that triggers the reflux.

Good luck! Enjoy your Labor Day!

#104106 - 09/06/04 10:45 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Gayla,

Sorry you are having reflux. It could be a side effect of the meds. Do you take them with food?

Prilosec is for reflux. Since you have taken it before, try taking it for awhile and see what happens. Maybe it will help. Also, stay away from acid producing foods like tomatoes, orange juice, citrus, caffeine, etc. Eat bland!

You have a great Labor Day, too.

Barbie

--------------------

#104109 - 09/06/04 11:25 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have GERD so I get a lot of Reflux, I took Nexium and it really helped but it was way too expensive, now I'm taking something called Pariet which does still help but not quite as well.

I find Nexium's website to be really good for tips for avoiding reflux. They have some excellent information. Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.purplepill.com/wellness/42.tipstriggers.asp

Hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

#104161 - 09/06/04 05:32 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hey Gayla! Hope you've had a lovely Labor Day, despite the indigestion!

I'd say the meds can cause reflux, yup. I never take mine on an empty stomach, just in case... even a few crackers beforehand really helps. Peppermint also aggravates it - I don't know if you're taking the caps or drinking the tea, but you might want to go easy on it. I can only handle the tea, and only when I'm having an attack; if I drank it every day, I'd be in agony.

My boyfriend has bad heartburn/reflux, and Prilosec is the only thing that's ever worked for him consistently. If you used to take it anyway, I say give it a shot! I used it for a while, and did feel a lot better after a 2-week course of it.

Good luck - hope you feel better!

Re: Thanks for the help....... new
      #104201 - 09/06/04 09:05 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

What an idiot I can be....yes, I used to always take my meds after eating. For some insane reason I have started to take them right after brushing my teeth,(always go straight to the toothbrush after I wake up).

I will start taking them after I eat something, good grief!!!

I appreciate the help, and hope you all had a great Labor Day also !!!

gayla

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1901 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1652

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review