All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why do they call it soy-MILK??
      #104029 - 09/05/04 07:00 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

It's not milk, its just bean juice!!!! And I'm having a really hard time dealing with the fact that it's my only option. I've tried both soy and rice milk-like products and I can't stand to drink any of them (even the flavored ones). They're okay on cereal, but I really want to find something that I can stand to drink. I've been on this diet for about a month, and am really starting to feel better, but the only things I am drinking are water and herbal teas. I'm looking for any suggestions on IBS safe beverages that don't require any real preparation (I love smoothies, but I live in a college dorm and am not allowed to have any appliances other than a fridge and microwave). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why do they call it soy-MILK?? new
      #104037 - 09/05/04 07:55 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

LOL at the bean juice comment I know what you mean about having limited drink options though. Sometimes I really miss pop/soda, etc...so anyway, to answer your question, from what I've read and heard cranberry and apple juice seem to be tolerated pretty well so if you like those well maybe that could add a little variety?? Other than that I really can't think of much else thats a safe bet but I'm sure others will have more suggestions for you.

#104042 - 09/05/04 08:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Soy milk is not like drinking milk. It is its own entity. I have found juice type drinks from searching around that are quite good. In asian markets or grocery stores with asian sections there are lots of safe drinks like ginger and ginseng drinks and mango juice that are all non-carbonated. They are cheap too unlike fancy American juice based drinks. Make sure there is no carbonation and no High Fructose Corn Syrup or sorbitol. Basically though I just drink water and tea.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#104049 - 09/05/04 09:32 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I like the silk brand chocolate soy milk. I drink minute maid low acid orange juice. And cranberry juice every once in a while. I would be careful with the apple juice however. I think most people get cramps and diareaha when they drink that. Maybe if its all natural with no additives you might be ok!

Good luck!

--------------------

#104072 - 09/06/04 06:02 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Try SILK brand Chocolate soy milk. It's amazing.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#104117 - 09/06/04 12:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Another thing is, try Eighth Continent. I know people say they like Silk but I think it is vile and tastes like chemicals. Eighth Continent doesn't taste like milk but it tastes nice and not like a test tube. Sorry for the personal opinion to those who like Silk!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#104128 - 09/06/04 02:21 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

There is a LOT of variation in the quality and taste of soy milks. So keep trying. Like you I can only handle it on cereal. I drink Lime Perrier with meals. I know you are not supposed to drink a lot of carbonated beverages but at least Perrier has no caffeine or artificial sweetener.

Good luck. I am also struggling with staying on the diet. I had a bite of ice cream last night and it tasted so incredible. I crave that and cheese and chocolate .

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 795

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review