All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about food and baking
      #103770 - 09/03/04 09:09 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

OK i've got some questions about baking and would love some suggestions. I love to cook. However... I have not had much success with any ibs safe bakegoods.. (and its not that I can't cook.. my family thinks I bake amazing real baking food haha)

I've made the ADB's and hated them.. made the honey oatmeal muffins and ended up throwing htem all away. Today I made the lemon sticky bread and its ok.. I hear its better the second day so I'll let you know what I think tomorrow. SO far i'm thinking its pretty tart. The crust also has a weird consistency. The same consistency the peppermint fudge cake. (I actually enjoy the pepp. fudge cake) but the crust on that is also sorta chewy... hard to explain does anyone else know what I mean?!?

why does everything come out so chewy on the outside?!?..

Is there any ibs safe breads or cakes or muffins or cookies that you all reccomend.. that are moist and light and tasty. I find the IBS stuff ends up more like a brick than anything tasty. (even the peppermint fudge cake which is the only thing I like so far)

anyways.. any recipe suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd love a nice moist baked good to freeze and save for busy days.

oh and it would probably help to know I hate bananas and don't like nuts either... but if you have any ideas LET ME KNOw!!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about food and baking new
      #103786 - 09/04/04 04:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Ashley- what are you spraying the pans with? and what type of pans are you using? sometimes that will affect things, also the temp on your oven if its not right... I do a ton of baked goods.. regular, diabetic, and non dairy, vegana dn even celiac safe for people... so have a lot of experience modifying things, but a crust on things sounds like one of the things mentioned above.. when I use the best no stick cake release recipe I have it sometimes puts a crust at the top edge of the cake, I just cut that off when I level the cake to decorate (it forms a crust if it can't absorb some of the liquid from the cake...) but my problem is I am afraid to use that on IBS safe stuff, so I use my stoneware which all has been well seasoned over the years or my cast iron to bake in- same idea... nothing sticks! if the oven temp is too high and your using oil to coat a pan it will burn and make things hard on the edges too....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#103794 - 09/04/04 05:42 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

Ive had the same problem with the pancake recipes!--they dont seem to cook welll in the middle and are not fluffy. Anyway I just made the applesauce muffins (do a search)--they were really good, nice and moist, I also liked the apple spice walnut bread. I figure I wont like everything but if I can find a few, make extras and freeze, Ill be set. Keep trying.
Missy

#103796 - 09/04/04 05:50 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hey girl. I don't like that lemon sticky bread, but I like the pepp. fudge cake too. I want to try it with almond extract.
Have you tried the pumpkin apple bread?? It's AWESOME. That's my favorite one. My family thinks it's awesome too. It's really moist, not too light though. I think the only really 'light' cake we can eat is angel food cake!
But if anyone else knows, I'd love to find out!

--------------------
~Cara~

#103797 - 09/04/04 05:54 AM
khyricat

can't help with light things, but I have some other brownie recipes that should adapt over easily enough- they are already almost all applesauce and no oil, but they do have chocolate in them other then cocoa, so I need to adapt slightly there... and I have some cake recipes.. basically any cake recipe will work with applesauce instead of most of the oil, but in a white cake for ex: it changes the flavor a bit... I have a couple spice cake recipes that should be yummy made for IBS, but haven't had time to play yet and may not until after the last of the Jewish holidays....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#103807 - 09/04/04 07:36 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

no, I haven't tried the muffins.. I'll give them a go. thanks.

--------------------

#103808 - 09/04/04 07:37 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Hey girl.. I haven't tried to make the pumpkin apple bread.. I don't think I like pumpkin though.. haha I haven't tried it in ages. But maybe i'll just try it.

I tried the pepp fudge cake with almond extract too and it def wasn't even comparable to the peppermint kind. But maybe thats just me.

--------------------

#103811 - 09/04/04 07:39 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Hi.. I have been using a regular glass loaf pan.. and spraying with pam. I use the same stuff with non ibs safe items and they come out just fine. Its just the consistency of the ibs safe food that come out strange to say the least

--------------------

#103822 - 09/04/04 07:57 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had the same problem with IBS-safe baking. My theory was always that the chewiness comes from the high sugar content - even in commercial low-fat baking, they tend to go a little higher with the sugar, to compensate for the flavor you lose when you cut the fat. That's just my theory, though. And not that this really helps at all, except to say that I don't think it's due to anything *you're* doing - I've had the same problems, and I'm a pretty damn good baker.

As for the density... yeah, that seems to be pretty much unavoidable too. I was able to experiment a little and come up with a very basic, plain muffin recipe that came out pretty light - it relied on the reaction between orange juice and a LOT of baking powder to give it some "poof". I'm still working on that recipe, though - I'd like to modify it to make a decent cake and some lighter quick breads - I'll be sure to post when I'm feeling better and have time to figure that out.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful... but at least you know there's another good cook having the same problems.

#103830 - 09/04/04 08:36 AM
khyricat

Casey- I have been thinking about trying some more baking with beaten egg whites- I know merengue kisses would be fine for us... and I imagine I could come up with some light cakes based on the concepts.. I know thats how I do gluten free ones... but using the applesauce to replace fat does cause things ot be heavier, so either more leavening or beaten egg should replace some of that..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#103832 - 09/04/04 08:38 AM
khyricat

use of a lot of applesauce for fat replacement does tend to make IBS stuff very heavy... I'll try to come up with some lighter recipes and post them...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Ahh, egg whites new
      #103836 - 09/04/04 08:50 AM
atomic rose

My problem is that I can't have egg whites. I had thought of that - based on angel food cake being generally safe for us - but finding something else that works has been a real struggle for me.

On the other hand, that *would* be a good solution for everyone else, or for when I'm baking for other people. Hmm...

muffin recipe new
      #103862 - 09/04/04 11:00 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Ashley,
I just recently tried the Nothin' to it Muffins in the recipe index, as posted by Mags. I used the blueberry and cinnamon option. I used part applesauce and part oil, and soymilk. The turned out great- even my boyfriend liked them and he doesn't care much for blueberries.
Good luck- I am yet another one trying to get this baking thing down!

--------------------
-Sheri

#103864 - 09/04/04 11:09 AM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I also love the pumpkin apple bread. Its my favorite. I just made the oatmeal molasses cookies that was on the receipe board. They were really good also. Not to heavy. I also love to bake and have been told I am a very good baker. I don't do alot for myself mostly for everyone else. I haven't really tried to decrease things like you have been asking about. I know that using the canola oil works for me. It doesn't cause me to have any problems but everyone is different. I guess trying to put a beaten egg white in it might help. Just keep looking hopefully there will be some more good receipes.

--------------------
Michelle

Re: muffin recipe new
      #103871 - 09/04/04 12:12 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks .. i'll look for that.

--------------------

These are on my countertop and both yummy and fail proof new
      #103927 - 09/05/04 06:08 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

mint brownies
lemon bars

I think you are on the right path though going by low fat recipes and not adapting your own. Make sure to measure correctly. Spoon the flour into the cup and level with a knife, don't dip the cup into the flour. Also make sure the soda and powder are fresh and that kind of thing. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

The powder being fresh is key... new
      #103938 - 09/05/04 07:19 AM
atomic rose

I had a few low-fat baking recipes from here turn out like little dry bricks, and I was starting to get really frustrated, till I checked the expiration date on my baking powder on a whim and discovered that it had expired 2 years ago. Whoops. (I hadn't done much baking in a while, I guess, haha.)

Freshness of ingredients is definitely important!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2516

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review