All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Being diagnosed with IBS
      #103663 - 09/03/04 10:56 AM
Ashley62

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada

It's been a while since I've posted to the boards, but that's due to Heather's great diet & advice. However, I have never been "formally" diagnosed with IBS. I have suffered with the symptoms for about 20 years and have had the usual advice from doctors ("eat more fiber, drink more water - it's probably just stress"). When I discovered this website over a year ago the diet made a huge difference and I now know the things that really set me off. But after a bad attack a few weeks ago a friend of mine suggested I should probably get "checked out". I think I'm just avoiding all the lovely tests and having to deal with doctors that don't really believe in IBS.
My question is - is it vitally important that I be "diagnosed" with IBS even though I believe this is my problem (IBS-D)?
Thanks.

--------------------
Leah
"Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Being diagnosed with IBS new
      #103691 - 09/03/04 12:32 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Hi there! Hope you are feeling better now.

While I am by no means an expert, I believe getting an official diagnosis is important. Before I was finally diagnosed with IBS my Dr.'s believed it was gall bladder problems and then they thought it was Crohn's (one test even leaned toward that). The point is, there are several different medical problems that have very similar symptoms and most of these conditions can be helped by following Heather's diet. Some of these conditions can become much worse without proper treatment.

I also believe it's alot easier to help yourself, no matter what the ailment, if you know what you're up against.

Hope this helps & good luck to you.

Kim

Re: Being diagnosed with IBS new
      #103815 - 09/04/04 07:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's a good idea to get checked out properly because there are lots of potentially more serious things that can start with the same symptoms as IBS. It's better to be safe than sorry! At least you're starting from the posisition of having a diagnosis and knowing which tests to push for!

Re:YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 new
      #103875 - 09/04/04 12:48 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Get diagnosed for sure. IBS can mimic so many other things - even types of cancer. Don't let it go. There was one member of this board who lost a mother because she thought it was IBS and it was really something else. Make an appointment with your Doc. today. You need to know for sure.
Hugs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review