All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Date day with husband ruined by IBS
      #102879 - 08/31/04 02:01 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

My husband and I have been looking forward to my daughter starting pre school for awhile now. She goes on tuesday's and wednesday's. My husband has monday and tuesday's off.
We had been looking forward to going to luch just the two of us on tuesdays.

Well needless to say that is out the window. I felt realy depresssed today when we dropped off DD and came home and made sandwiches. I swear to God I am ready to say screw it and eat what ever I want and just deal with the effects.
It is like this messing up all the things we have been looking forward to.

I am affarid to volunteer at my DD school because I never know how much pain I am going to be in. I can't go on date nights anymore because they were always movie and dinner. If I could just get rid of the pain I would fine.

It doesn't help that my monthy friend is here. I feel like someone is trying to rip out my lower stomach. God I just want normal back. It is so hard to face the fact that my life is never going to be what I thought it was. My DH keeps saying this is going to get better everything will be fine. He thinks it is going to go away that this just something wierd I am going through and eventullay it will all get back to normal.

I don't think he gets it. Plus the few people I have told say things like oh my sister(or whoever they know) has that it will only bother you once in awhile the rest of the time you'll be fine.

I don't know what to think anymore. It amazing to me how much our tummy's and food can mess up our lives. Well I went on longer than I had planned. I just needed to get it out. You guys are the only ones who realy get it and know how it feels so BIG THANK YOU'S. I just gotta get over feeling like my lfe is over and then feeling silly for feeling that way.
Thanks for Listening

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Date day with husband ruined by IBS new
      #102884 - 08/31/04 02:25 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am so so sorry for you and totally understand everything you are going through. everything. nobody gets the true impact of ibs but the sufferers themselves. nobody. there are so many phases psychologically in dealing with ibs, and you are going through the 'f**k this, i am going to suffer anyway so I might aswell just eat what i want'. its not always going to be this way.
listen, the problem with this disease is that if we only stick to the diet 95%, that 5% may just still ruin us...so we feel like we are doing so much and nothing seems enough. it takes total utter antisocial bloody commitment to stick through the first few months of finding out what you can and cannot eat, what works for you etc...and rewards will come, slowly but surely, but also possibly rapidly too!!! I KNOW its easier said then done (I have had this since I was 15...I am now 25)...but you HAVE to totally committ.
My ibs has recently deterioated following a virus and I am currently eating only 11 different things and slowly but surely reintroducing foods, with good and bad results. I just got married so can relate on the romantic front.
I keep a food, time and symptom diary and it helps me feel and actually GAIN control over this bugger disease. I AM achieving some truths here. Its two steps forward and one back but I WILL get there and so will you. You just have to start.
Have you tried going back to complete basics, like a baby and re weaning yourself onto food??? Maybe you have and I have just written that whole paragraph on relearning how to eat!!!
Let yourself have a good cry, put your fist through the pillow, hug your husband and you WILL get better. There is no choice but to do everything possible to minimise symptoms through food management.Ultimately you are the only one that suffers if you eat whatever and you are only going to go on a downward spiral.
I hope I helped. I know what I am saying makes it sound like a piece of cake...believe me, I KNOW its not...I cry often about this. Its incredibly hard and challenging.
Good luck XXXXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#102886 - 08/31/04 02:35 PM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I know how you feel--Hubby and I used to go to lunch together and then go grocery shopping when the kids went to school. He asked me to go to lunch the other day--I felt tooo bad. IBS does suck!!!! I get so tired of being sick. Hubby asked me today when I got home from school (I go to college fulltime) how I felt and I said It would be easier to tell him when I actually feel good--I even get sick of telling people that I dont feel good.
I know these boards are a great place to come when you've had a bad day--everyone here knows what it is like. I do beleive by sticking to the diet, things will get easier.
Do soemthing special for yourself--take a nice walk, take a nap (I'd love one!), maybe read a great book. Try to reward yourself with somehting other than food. Just know that there are lots of people who understand what you are going through.
Take care
Missy

#102887 - 08/31/04 02:40 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, sweetie, I know it's really hard. I just had plans with my hubby called off on Sunday because of my other chronic illness, fibromyalgia. I was SO mad and SO discouraged. But don't give up hope. I have gotten my IBS under control and have been D-free for over 7 months now. I no longer fear going out to dinner. I no longer have to cancel plans because I'm too wiped out after a night of D. And I'm no longer limited to white rice and boiled chicken!

So even though you and I and everyone will still have IBS the rest of our lives, things WILL get better. I'm living proof. And I was a tough case. I lost track of the number of restaurant dinners where I had to rush to the ladies room, not once, not twice but THREE times before the evening was over. YUCK! Once I had to say goodbye to my friends by yelling out the ladies room door because I couldn't get up from the toilet. How mortifying!

Sometimes life is just not fair.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#102892 - 08/31/04 02:48 PM
heather7476

Wow did you hit the nail on the head about where I am in my head right now. I do feel like saying F**k it. I am so mad and sad. I just can't get a grip. I keep telling myself it will be ok but is so hard. This is has to be the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. Then I feel silly for saying that because it's food not life or death.
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I just feel like I am going slowly crazy. I know deep down it will get better but it is hard to remeber that sometimes.

I am keeping a diary of food,Bm.and meds with notes on the pain for the day to take to my GI next week. I did the what to eat when you can't eat anything for two weeks I am starting to add in some foods. I realy cheated this weekend Pizza and salad and a cheesebruger. I didn't notice a change in BM just more pain. I am getting back on track today. My DD husband had a five day weekend and I just wanted it to be like old times So I cheated. I am not proud of it as a matter of fact I am realy ashamed that I did it. Well anyway Thank you so much for understanding.

--------------------
Heather7476

#102900 - 08/31/04 03:15 PM
heather7476

Thanks LauraSue
I feel like such a Whiner. I hope I have as much success with this as you.(which by the way yeah for LauraSue) I hope I am strong enough to do this. It is weird but if this was my husband or daughter(not that I would EVER whish this on them) I would be like ok no more of this in the house and would never even blink about the change in diet because it would make them better. But I feel like I am letting everybody down and trying to keep a noraml life and get better at the same time and it is just not working.

I would not even know what to order in resturant.
Thanks for the support

--------------------
Heather7476

#102901 - 08/31/04 03:15 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Have you been checked for endometriosis??? Your period problems and IBS could be linked and endo could be the cause!!

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#102908 - 08/31/04 03:24 PM
heather7476

Thanks. These boards are the only thing keeping me sane right now. I just realy miss my life. I also get sick of telling people I don't feel good. I have caller ID and have started screening my calls because I am sick of people asking me if I feel better yet. I know they mean well but I am tired of saying no I don't feel better yet. I am tired of feeling like I am just trying to surive every day. I have also become grocery store phobic. I hate going I never know what to buy anymore. I buy DD and DH their food and then feel depressed because I can't eat it. UGGG
Thanks so much

--------------------
Heather7476

#102914 - 08/31/04 03:35 PM
heather7476

I don't think I have been. How do they test you? I have been wondering about female issues because I have been trying to get pregnant for a year and then out of nowhere this starts. I had no problems getting pregnant the first time. I am going back on the pill till this is under control. I had an ultrasound and everything was fine. The doc thought I might have had POC but nope.
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

#102921 - 08/31/04 04:23 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

The only way to confirm an endometriosis diagnosis is through laparoscopic surgery, but don't have that done by anyone other than an expert in laser surgery to remove endometriosis. You want to get diagnosed and fixed in one shot. Repeated surgeries can compound the problem by causing scar tissue.

The second most common symptom of endo is gastrointestinal problems. The first most common is pelvic pain, especially during periods.

Endo can grow not just on your reproductive organs but also into your bowels. It also can cause infertility but that can often be fixed with the surgery.

I had no problem getting pregnant the first time but the second time it took me three years because I had endo. It took a year and a half for me to realize I had a problem and to get diagnosed.

Do some reading on Internet sites about the links between GI problems and endo and see if it rings any bells for you.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3871 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2290

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review