All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Celexa For Depression
      #101037 - 08/24/04 03:13 PM
Donna1

Reged: 08/24/04

I have IBS. I am taking Celexa for depression. In the book "The First Year IBS" P. 79 seems to indicate this could trigger IBS attacks. Is there another anti-depressant that is used by persons with IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am taking Lexapro new
      #101231 - 08/25/04 09:49 AM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Donna, Hi. I took Celexa for about 3 years, when I finally realized that it was not helping the situation, my doc changed me over to Lexapro, he told me it would help with the IBS. I think it has, I don't seem to be as C as I was, but I have been BAD, VERY BAD the last few weeks and that was about the time I started the Lex., so it is going to take me a little while longer to know the effects. My GP also told me that the Lexapro would help with my IBS. Good to hear from 2 docs. Do a search, there have been several posts about the Lex. Good luck I hope it helps.

#101258 - 08/25/04 11:47 AM
rox1

Reged: 03/31/04

What do you mean by being bad? Are the side effects bad? I was given Lexapro by my doc but have been afraid to take it because I don't want the side effects.

Re: Celexa For Depression new
      #101267 - 08/25/04 12:14 PM
FinnGB

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Great Britian, Devon

I take amitriptoline i dont know what is is called in the USA but it also helps my IBS as a side affect. The drug acts as a relaxant on my digestive tract. I am also a lot happier to.

#101269 - 08/25/04 12:17 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

My gastro doc prescribed a small dose of Celexa to help with my IBS-C. It did, but unfortunately, I could not continue taking it since I have bipolar disorder and it puts me in a manic stage. It's supposed to help with IBS-C. Are you C or D?

#101399 - 08/25/04 05:41 PM
Donna1

Reged: 08/24/04

I am a "D". Is amitriptoline an antidepresant?

#101414 - 08/25/04 06:45 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm also taking lexapro. I just started my 2nd month. The only side effects I had is that I was nausas for the first couple days and I didn't have much of an appetite because of that. Otherwise it's helped with my ibs I think. I am a little more constipated then usual though.

Re: Uh Oh Donna, my mistake..... new
      #101434 - 08/25/04 08:08 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

When I said Bad, I meant that I have been eating everything in sight, bad eating behavior. I did not make that clear in my post.

Sorry about that

I made another post tonight, it is about chest pain and Lexapro.

#101586 - 08/26/04 10:20 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Donna, I don't remember the exact quote in Heather's book, but if the Celexa is helping your depression, I would say stay on it.

Amitriptyline is an old fashioned tricyclic antidepressant with a lot of nuisance side effects like dry mouth and drowiness. The newer ones like Celexa are much better.

But I would say talk to your doctor about it. There are certainly lots of different antidepressant available now and he or she might be more than willing to switch you to a different one based on your IBS.

Welcome to the board, it's a great place with lots of info. Hope you keep coming back and give some of the other suggestions here a try!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1004 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1030

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review